Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

need help w/ CG

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

need help w/ CG

Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 AM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help w/ CG

I have a Will Hobby Polecat ARF. 50" WSP with a Magnum XL 46 & Pitts style muffler for power. I have the engine as far back as I can & not destroy the cowl. The " instructions" ( that's what they call them). Shows 85mm which converts to 3& 3/8 inches. Being this is a mid-wing, do I balance it right side up like a high wing or inverted? I know I need it to be slightly nose down when balanced. I have tried both & came out with different weight needed. I have taped 2 batteries almost at the tail before it wants to have the " nose down attitude. Seems like an awful lot of wieght for a small plane. I am NOT an advanced pilot & I know if I don't get it right I'll crash.. Any help will be appriciated. All electronics are mounted behind the CG line.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:26 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: need help w/ CG

This has been debated, but I'm of the opinion it makes no difference. CG is CG whatever the orientation. I have been balancing right side up for some 38 years now. What you need to make sure of is the location of the measurement for the CG. Is it at the wing tips, at the root (where the wings meet the fuselage), or at the center of the wing (usually close if not the same as the root). 25% back from the leading edge at the root is a safe location for most planes. This usually gives a slightly nose heavy balance which is good for trial flights because planes are more stable balanced this way. Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM
mshay
My Feedback: (3)

more info is needed or opinions, i just got mine today.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Lnewqban

You can verify the CG that is specified in the manual with this on-line calculator:

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm

It seems that right side up is the position for balacing this model.

Also, check this recent thread and links:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95...tm.htm#9527315