Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Can you do weathering with monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Can you do weathering with monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
NJAIRSTRIKE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you do weathering with monokote?

Hi, I would like my corsair warbird to look more realistic and I think that "weathering" the monokote or ultracote would be a great idea. Are their any tips or idea's to simply weather the ARF H9 Corsair to make it look more realistic? Thank you.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Can you do weathering with monokote?

Monokote can be painted with Rustolium paint. Silver Rustolium on crumpled up aluminum foil and dabbed on leading edges, and where paint chips would be, looks pretty good. Then, a flat clear does wonders for the war bird, supposedly in action. Just let the paint dry for at least a week before exposing it to fuel, it it works fine. Hear is my covered P-38 painted with Rustolium paints. I used flat paints also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42649.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1004725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54847.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1004726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43667.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1004727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53214.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1004728   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30565.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1004729   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75527.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1004730  
Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
opjose

Very nice!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

Monokote can be painted with Rustolium paint. Silver Rustolium on crumpled up aluminum foil and dabbed on leading edges, and where paint chips would be, looks pretty good. Then, a flat clear does wonders for the war bird, supposedly in action. Just let the paint dry for at least a week before exposing it to fuel, it it works fine. Hear is my covered P-38 painted with Rustolium paints. I used flat paints also.

Nice looking work. That's good work.

What is the model?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
ernbar

Ram:

What did you use to make the panel lines and rivets?They look great. Have you experienced any peeling or gumming of the paint around the pitt muffler exhaust area? Did you use the Rustolium flat clear to seal everything? Again, beautiful job! How big is your Lightning?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:50 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ernbar

Ram:

What did you use to make the panel lines and rivets?They look great. Have you experienced any peeling or gumming of the paint around the pitt muffler exhaust area? Did you use the Rustolium flat clear to seal everything? Again, beautiful job! How big is your Lightning?
Thank you for he compliments guys. It is just a way to take an ARF and make something out of it. The panel lines were made with a Top Flight panel line pen. Rivets were done with a metallic Silver Sharpie pen. I skipped rivets in various places in a random way to simulate the variances in wear. I do use flat clear over decals and detail. Flat camouflage colors were used for the large areas. Flat Green on top and primer Grey on the bottom, flat white and black for the invasion stripes, and flat brown and tan colors for dirt on the bottom behind the gear. I don't have any problems with the paint as long as enough drying time is allowed. At least a week and I like even two. I clean with alcohol and sand the film with 400 grit prior to painting.

The aircraft is the Nitro Planes 90" P-38 often pictured in the header of the forum page. Many modifications including plug-in wings, retracts, and much more, and as talked about, a new paint job.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:59 PM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I know it's an old thready but here is my weathering video with a Hanger 9 Corsair. Monokote and Fibreglass.