Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New nitro planes SU-26 50CC

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New nitro planes SU-26 50CC

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 AM
PAPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New nitro planes SU-26 50CC

any one have any info on this plane?
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM
PropNut71

Default RE: New nitro planes SU-26 50CC

87 1/2" wingspan, Fuselage Length: 76.5" . I just got mine last Friday and was very pleased with the looks, no damage in shipping. Since I started assembly there are a few things that I do not like, but nothing that would stop me from buying it again. I won't have a flying weight until the plane is finished.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:37 PM
dnocher
My Feedback: (43)

Mine came in of Friday, Unboxed it looks good. I'm planning on putting a MT57 engine in it. To keep it light think I'll replace the wing tube and stab with carbon fiber ones it I can find them. I haven't looked for them yet. Not sure when I'll start assembly process. Fixing the broken ones now. Keep us posted with your progress.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:38 AM
PropNut71

I pretty much have the plane itself assembled. I still need to install the linkages for the control surfaces and mount the servos. In the horizontal stabilizers on my kit they cut about half of one side of the hinges off so they will fit into the wing and not hit the tunnel for the wing tube, seems to have glued just fine, but I thought it could have been designed a little better and also on my main wings the left wing doesn't fit as "snug" in the cutout as the right wing does. I notice it because I am putting it together but someone just looking at the plane might not see that.

Dnocher are you going to use the hardware that came with the plane? I am still trying to figure out the tail wheel assembly. The instructions are not very detailed as other planes I have assembled, also do you think a 45cc engine could fly this plane ok? I am just a back yard flyer who doesn't do any 3D, just regular flying with a few loops and rolls.

One other thing, I haven't cut out the covering on the sides of the fuselage for the elevator servos. Just feeling where the cutouts are it seems that they are really long, has anyone come across this yet?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63497.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	1044247  
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
dnocher

Hi Propnut, It would have to be strong 45. Best bet would be a DL 50 or DA 50. If you go with the 45 you need to keep the weight down. I'm going to look at the plane on Saturday so I cann't give an opion on the hardware that was supplied.
Larry at LS Pro was selling the MT 62 electron Ingition for $300.00 Plus shipping. I picked up one for myself. It looks like a G62 with out the flywheel . For the price you can't beat it. It would be a good choice for the plane as well. I haul my war birds on G62's there 30 lbs or better. I'm repairing a 1/3 GP Christian Eagle. That was flown with a G62. Put that motor in a war bird. So the Eagle will be getting the MT62. Thought I would be done with it this week but have some more work to get it ready. Next weekend It will go in the air. Than I can get started on the SU 26. Than see if I can get the carbon fiber wing tube and stab. Carbon Landing gear would be nice too. Dan
Old 10-07-2008, 05:07 AM
PropNut71

I too have a Great Planes Christen Eagle, great airplane. Do you have any pics of yours already on here? Who made your kit? I believe mine is a quarter scale.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM
dnocher

Propnut, Mine is a Great Planes Eagle. Changing out the servos in it. Just realized I have HB 635 servos in it. Don't think it will fly this weekend. Going to go to a floatfly with some club members. We want to get one more in before the weather gets to cold. I did do some work on the SU 26. mounted my motor cut out the fuse and wings for the servos. Have to make up some extentions. Played with the gas tank. Haven't poked holes in it for the pull-pull rudder setup. Don't like the tail wheel set up. I guess you can use it. I think a spring mounted to the tiller arm would work better than the straight rod to the rudder. I rather have some flex in the rod so you don't put the shock, bounce of the tail wheel back to the rudder and servo. So thing like a Kleet tail wheel system. Plan calls out for a total of 500oz for the rudder. Not sure if I'm going to do that. I have a Hitec that with 6V has 300oz for the way I fly it should be fine. I have that set up in a 97" Cap 232 and it works fine for the big circles I fly. I'm trying to keep this as light as possible. So I have to order a bunch of carbon fiber suff to get the weight down. I tend to build bricks and try to fly them. Dan
Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
PropNut71

did you do anything special for the firewall? How do you account for thrust when glueing it in place?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM
dnocher

I offset the engine for 2 degrees buy tack gluing the firewall and put the cowl on to check it. If it looks OK mark it, knock it out and epoxy back in. I used all of the tri stock in the kit and add some more of my own. I Do this with the nose up in the air and fuse tied to by saw horse or bench to locate the engine. That is about as far as I got with it. Weather going to be nice for a few days heading for the lake. Dan
Old 10-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Wolfdragon

I just read on the Nitroplanes Yak forum about how the new batch of yaks were not glued, over weight and parts did not line up properly. Many guys said they were having problems. Has any one had problems with the SU-26? How does it fly compared to a Yak 54? I am thinking of breaking into giant scale with a Nitroplane if I can confirm good quality and flying (I want to 3D with it too)
Old 10-11-2008, 11:09 PM
dnocher

I can'nt give you answer to your question if this would make a good 3D plane. 50 cc could be pushing it a little. On these SU-26's No replacement for displacement. I don't intend to do 3D. If I did it would be by accident. So far I have not run into any assembly problems. Most or should say all ARFs I go over the glue joints with CA. Wings are another question? Your on your own Grass Hopper.
Wild Hire or Aroeworks planes might be the way if your going the 3D rout. Good luck on your quest. I'm cheap and just fly Big Circles . Smoke -ON! Welcome to be GS gassers.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
sabrejet
My Feedback: (45)

I recently bought the Nitroplanes SU-26 Sukoi also. Its a nice looking/ nice flying plane. But much of the hardware needs to be replaced. It comes with a large fuel tank, but the fuel tubing must be for a .40 size engine! The wheel axles are just long bolts. I replaced them with heavy duty Dubro wheel axles. Other wise the bolts would just bend due to the weight. You can find a carbon fibre wing tube on "Toybuilt Models" or "Troybuilt Models" website. I can't remember the exact name at the moment. The tube costs about $62.00 and it is half the weight as the stuck tube, but just as strong.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:28 PM
dnocher

Saberjet Thanks for the information, I'll look into the Troybuild Tubes. Weather Turned on us past couple of weekends wind rain and cold. I haven't started the engine yet. I'll got a can muffler from Larry for the MT 57. But would have to cut a tunnel in the Frame to use it. Engine Parts came before the plane did. I see Tommy has a tune pipe for the 57 might have to call Larry up for one of those. If I stop playing around with it I might put in the air someday.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:50 AM
prop dust 1

Yes I just got my new su 26 my frist big gas plane. The paint on cowling is coming off, Boy will the cowl stay on air real flimsy? All the hardwear was lose in box big maise,The assembly manual is not good I know I only paid 350.00 but you thank they could do some what better on ass. manual. I called and they say they well send new cowl ? I have it and I well try to fly it. Have new Arera-51 mortor looks good have not run yet.[]
Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 PM
sassy8
My Feedback: (61)

Hi Guys,
I got my SU-26 a few weeks ago and finally got started on it. The manual is now in the trash, it doesn't match the plane other than the CG. At least everything fits like it's suppose to. I built a tank shelf and moved the fuel tank over the wing tube, which the best I can figure is the CG, so the balance won't change with fuel burn. I'm going to put a RCFG-62 up front and maybe that will help with the balance problem that was refernced in another thread. Had to spend a couple of hours shrinking every thing down and cutting out the wing slots and stuff. I'm throwing away most of the hardware that was supplied and using GP axles, SWB or AirWild arms, 4" wheels (they will fit). The cowl is very flimsey so I'g going to add another layer of fibergass inside to stiffen it up some.
Hey, for $350 at the door you can expect a few flaws.
My engine box already had about 2 deg right thrust built in. The firewall wasn't attached, which was good, so I beefed it up some and went back with a full 1/4" 8 ply firewall. I think it will be a good flyer. I'll post the projected weight a little later. At least this plane is a lot better than the RC Legends Yak-54 that ABell is selling.

Later,
Jeff
Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You all might wanna read this thread first before you decide on engine, cg and other problems..

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78...tm.htm#7861762

bobzilla
Old 01-23-2009, 09:32 PM
sassy8
My Feedback: (61)

Well my SU-26 is getting close to finishing. The RCFG-62 went in nice and it all fit under the cowl except for the plug cap. I put it all together this evening to see where and how much battery, and other, weight was going to be needed. It took 2lb 8oz to balance. I think that 2lbs of battery (3 of them) will be possiable and 8oz of lead or something for adjustment later. I don't have any idea on total weight yet, maybe in a couple of days.

Jeff Spears