Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

SuperStar EP info

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

SuperStar EP info

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 01:27 PM
5 oclock charly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperStar EP info

I am thinking of getting a Superstar EP from Hobbico and was doing some research and have not found what I was looking for. What I wanted to know was how fast they are, (heard they are fast for a trainer) and how much space you need for landing, all I found out so far was ( you need alot of space). I have a large area to fly, but not extremly large space to land. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-12-2003, 03:59 AM
Richardmatalon

Hey the superstar Ep is a great plane. It is kinda quick but it has an ecs(electronic speed controller) so you can adjust the speed. It is very easy to fly. I took mine out today and flew t the first time out( this is important to note becuase it was my first time flying) It is a very forgiving airplane, just always remember to keep it level. I am going to buy the gear box upgrade along with the prop upgrades for it so that i can have longer flights. Right now setup stock, it only flys for like 6-7 minutes on full throttle. TOday was kinda windy though, i think too windy, so without wind it should be longer. Landing, the amount of space that you need to land is all up to how well u can fly, if you can land pretty well then you don't need much, if not, land on the grass it is more forgiving than pavement. Just remember to have someone who knows what there doing to be there and even to fly the model for you and get it trimmed out. Have a blast, trust me, with this plane , you will
Old 07-12-2003, 12:51 PM
5 oclock charly

Thanks for the info, but I have had the plane for awhile now, and love it. you were talking about a gearbox, best combo I've found is the great planes GD-600 gearbox 2.5:1 ratio a magnetic mayham reverse motor and everything I read, they said 11X7 prop. thats good, but I found thru playing with motocalc that the 12X8 is better!! goes vertical quite a bit, pulls loops , inverted, square loops damn near anything, also get these batterys!!!! direct replacement but 3000mah and with my triton charger, it tells me there charging up to 3400mah.

http://www.batteryspace.com/product.asp?3=69
Old 07-13-2003, 02:08 AM
Richardmatalon

Hey man, thanks for the info. Now i have a couple of questions for you. How long are your flight times with that specific setup and also with the new battery? I am only getting fliught times of like 3 or 4 minutes right now, but that is at full throttle. Also, does your battery keep pooping out of the fron tof the plne, through that cooling vent or is is just me? Also do you know if they have lithium batts for them, cause i have heard that those things last for like 20 minutes. I have just gotten comfortable with the plane and it is a nice one, but the only thing that drives me crazy is the short flight itmes. How much wind do you fly urs in??

Thanks, RIchard
Old 07-13-2003, 03:09 PM
5 oclock charly

Flights are around 12-15 depending,(myself I love full throttle!!) longer if you baby it. as far as the battery popping out yes, fixed that by adding velcro to the batery itself towards the center of it, and using the looped strap. I'm in the process at the moment of rebuilding the front end because of flying in like 20+ mph winds and landing extremly hard. but up to 15 mph is generally ok and controlable. use the APC 12X8 electric or the zinger 12X8 wood is also good, also get the 3 inch foam tires. but make sure you go to tower hobbies and get some spare gear and shaft spares because if you land and catch the prop ( espeacially the wood one) you will bend the shaft. they'r cheap only $2.xx ea. and thats better than a whole new gearbox. bearings also.