Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

TWIST 40 ARF.. Why the price increase ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

TWIST 40 ARF.. Why the price increase ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
n2rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWIST 40 ARF.. Why the price increase ?

I purchaced my TWIST 40 ARF the first of this year for $99 at a local hobby store. I was picking up a few thing over the weekend at the same store and was shocked to see the same plane selling for $179. Thinking it was a mistake i asked a sales person and he said it was correct. I logged on to Horizon Hobby and they have it listed for $179 also.. WHY??????????[>:]
Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 PM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: TWIST 40 ARF.. Why the price increase ?

many ARF's have gone thru the roof for various reasons.If you see a deal,grab it now.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:07 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess I'm lucky - I bought my first and 2nd a couple of years ago. Now down to one, but after a couple of rebuilds of her, she is still flying. In fact I just put a new engine on it last night and hope to fly it this weekend. If you can find them used, get it. Much cheaper than new. I think the price increase is out of line, time to start hitting the swap meets for kits and 2nd hand planes!!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 PM
IAMKAOS

nope, it's probably not a mistake. there is another thread going on at this time with over 250 post's concerning horizon hobbies big price increase's on their arfs. this thread will probably end up the same way. arfs are going up all over as much as 50% price increase's. it was mostly in the larger models but is now being seen in the smaller ones also. what i read here recently was the price of balsa wood has gone nut's and in china there is a shortage of factory workers. they become skilled in the manufacture of these arfs and they want more money. after listening to president bush on tv the other night concerning this nation's's economy i think the price of arfs will be the least of our worry's in the next year. just my 2 cents.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
opjose

You're right, I'm already worried about fuel... seems like there is none to be had around my part of the world...

Old 09-25-2008, 06:41 PM
IAMKAOS

the price is high but there is plenty of fuel at local hobby shops at this time but that could change. you cannot get fuel at any of your lhs's??
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the ARF workers get greedy, they might price themselves out of the business. Not long ago we only built kits or from scratch, and this could be the straw on the camels back to turn folks back to that. It would be cool to me, but I know some guys who only assemble ARFs that have no clue how to repair a plane much less build one since they only glue major parts together.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:07 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's usually not much balsa in a ARF except the wing ribs. Most of it is some variety of wood we never heard of.

The landing gear broke out of my Horizon Hobby Ultra Stick 40. The backing block was not maple plywood but just some gnarled piece of wood that just split apart at the bolt holes.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:16 PM
reincarnate

If the ARF workers get greedy...
Tell me you didn't say that in seriousness. The "ARF workers" you refer to make the equivalent of pennies a day. To even refer to them as greedy is ludicrous.

Why are 95% plus of the ARF's on the market made in third world countries? Because they work for close to nothing, keeping the prices of your ARFs low. Can you purchase all the components for a typical 40 size ARF, build it, cover it, package it, market it, ship it, and sell it, pay the "ARF worker" a fair working wage and still only charge $99.00? If you can, start a company and bring the industry back to the States.

If you can't, don't throw stones at the people who build your airplanes, and want more for their families.

Rant over. That kind of talk while our economy suffers from corporate greed gets my hackles up.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
IAMKAOS

if arf's were manufactured in this country a .40 arf would probably cost $600.00 or more to build. then the united auto workers union would get involved rasing the price to $2,000.00 per unit. i'm joking but it's probably close to the truth.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
reincarnate

And if everyone were paid a wage that equaled their worth, we all would be able to afford better things, the economy would bloom, and the Wal Mart mindset would subside.

That aside, we all have no choice but to pay what the supplier demands if you desire the product. Have you ever talked to a non-modeler who deals with performance full scale engines? They about crap when they find out what we pay for our engines. It's all about what it's worth to the user.

ARF prices will probably not go back to the levels you've seen in the past. Kit prices from large mfg's also show signs of inflation. Maybe some of the Stateside kit cutters and designers will get more attention, as their prices usually don't fluctuate more than the price of balsa and shipping dictate. Regardless, it's your choice on the method you choose to scratch your hobby itch.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 PM
NorfolkSouthern

A lot of the increase is due to the rise of labor costs in Asia, along with the rate of inflation that those countries have been dealing with lately. Along with labor, the cost of materials and energy have also risen and this puts a great strain on suppliers, who have no other choice than to pass this down to the consumer. Also, consider the demand for many popular ARFs and kits, consdering Hangar-9's backorder situation.

So, what's the silver lining? The price markups have put many people out of the market, who would otherwise snap up these planes. Those who are willing to spend more (in many cases, the planes have nearly doubled in price) get more choices. Those who want something cheap will have to look for another hobby. It's only a matter of time before the electronics go up along with the engines and airframes. This may very well be the best time to buy, as I don't think there will be any deals next Spring.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 PM
The Toolman

When I bought my Tango last year it was $129 which was a good deal. Now its $179 and IMO it's not worth replacing at that price if I ever have to.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:36 AM
RVator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw on for sale in a Hobbytown for the same price and just thought they were crazy. I see now that is the price for a twist. It was a great deal for 99 but for 179 I would look elsewhere.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:10 PM
IAMKAOS

i've mentioned this before in other threads but a fella flyer i know works part time in a local hobby shop. sometime ago i ask him how was buisness and he told me "terrible". since then i've asked him again and its the same story. their sales in rc planes and supplies have dropped badly due to severe price increase's. and sadly their biggest sellers nitro rc cars and trucks came to a screeching halt. last week i inquired to him again and he told me it had got worse. ....does not sound good. hell!..people here in fla. are losing their houses to foreclosure and construction has come to a standstill. lot of people starting to lose jobs. i've noticed a lot less people showing up at our flying site.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Anything related to r/c that's made somewhere across the great pond will see a dramatic price increase due to transportation costs, and the fact that China imposed a 10-20% tarriff on exports to the USA - not only are we their best customer, they're also one of our biggest creditors. An earlier post suggested snatching up any good deals that come along - that's sound advice. And if you thought glow was expensive now, just wait.
I think kits will make a comeback in a big way - please don't misunderstand, ARF's are nice and save time, but quality and affordability are gone forever.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Outlw36

quit whining and just go bigger http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HAN4525
Old 09-27-2008, 08:32 PM
IAMKAOS

that looks like a good buy!...too bad i do not have a engine for that or i'd buy that.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:43 PM
The Toolman

I've been thinking about one of those with a gasser on it. But not the evo type engine though.