Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cherokee ARF Great Planes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cherokee ARF Great Planes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
tundraman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherokee ARF Great Planes

My friend just purchased a GP Cherokee ARF. He is in the process of purchasing an engine. What are you guys using in your Cherokee's? I told him to buy either an OS 40 or 46 AX. He wants to put a OS 55 AX but I think it will be too heavy and overpowered.

Any advice or modifications you can recommend before he start to build will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cherokee ARF Great Planes

A .55 won't really be too heavy but it is more power than necessary. The .46-AX or something similar is a great match for the plane.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:29 PM
tundraman

Ya, I just went to the OS site and it looks like they around the same weight.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:31 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Flew mine with the O.S. .46 AX and it had PLENTY of power; mounted it as per the instruction manual with no problems. The Cherokee flew very nicely (until my new Spectrum DX7 radio CRAPPED out [:@] [:'(] ).
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using a very old OS 46 FSR in mine and it flies great. If flying off grass ditch the wheel pants and add some bigger wheels.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
tundraman

I was over at my buddies helping him put together his new Cherokee. I have got to say the quality is not as good as I expected. One of the wing servo covers is wrong, the rear horizontal stab is warped and we tried to get the wing joiner tube into the left wing for over two hours!!! The tube slides in the right wing half fine. The joiner only slides in ~4 inches and you have to use pliers to get it out. [:@] Let's not forget the mismatch color on the cockpit cover. It's a couple of shades darker red then the whole plane. Is anyone else having the same issues? What did you do for the wing joiner tube issue? He must of got a lemon!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
ChuckW

Mine has the paint/monokote color match issue but I've just come to expect that on a lot of ARF's. Otherwise, the construction quality and assembly is excellent.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:50 AM
squeakalong

Tundraman: I had a lot of "quality" issues on my Cherokee ARF (as discussed in another thread here) but I can say this...once the model was in the air it flew GREAT. I was very surprised at how well the ARF actually handled in flight and was pleasantly compensated for the assembly hassels. As I said, if my new Spectrum hadn't crapped out I'd still be enjoying the Cherokee. Hang in there and after carefull assembly I believe you'll like the flying characteristics of this ARF.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 PM
tundraman

ORIGINAL: sqeakalong

Tundraman: I had a lot of "quality" issues on my Cherokee ARF (as discussed in another thread here) but I can say this...once the model was in the air it flew GREAT. I was very surprised at how well the ARF actually handled in flight and was pleasantly compensated for the assembly hassels. As I said, if my new Spectrum hadn't crapped out I'd still be enjoying the Cherokee. Hang in there and after carefull assembly I believe you'll like the flying characteristics of this ARF.
Did you have the wing joiner issue? If so, what did you do to finally resolve it?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
ChuckW

If the problems are too bad, you ay also want to call Great Planes and explain what is going on. They generally stand behind their products pretty well.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
squeakalong

Hi, Mike.

I had no problem with the wing joiner; the wing slipped together very easily. In this case I believe Chuck has the best sugestion for your problem. Call Great Planes...the wing center section is one place you don't want any issues cropping up. The wing joiner should slip in without requiring pliers to get it out. You need a new wing panel to replace the misbuilt one in your ARF box.

Soft landings.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM
tundraman

Thanks guys. I agree. I actually sent GP a email Saturday evening but I am going to follow up with a call tomorrow afternoon. I guess I'll wait to see what they say.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 10-06-2008, 11:13 PM
DSTIEBS

I was planing on buying the spektrum Dx7 2.4 and would like to know what was the problem with yours. I have also thought about the Futaba 7C 2.4 but read they also have there problems. I think I'll get the Spektrum anyway and hope for the best.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:38 AM
squeakalong

On my Spectrum DX7: The firmware failed, the failsafe failed. Complete radio failure while inverted and just when I was beginning an inside half loop. Motor went instantly from idled back to full throttle right before the total failure. The plane went STRAIGHT into the ground...when about 18" of the tail popped off the break line was near perfect on all four sides...like it had been sawed off. Hoping for the best can be a bit dramatic at times. I purchased a new Futaba radio.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 AM
DSTIEBS

Thanks Sqeakalong for that info. Has anyone else reading this form had this problem or any other problems with the Spektrum DX7? Thanks again. Dave.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:48 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

ORIGINAL: tundraman

I was over at my buddies helping him put together his new Cherokee. I have got to say the quality is not as good as I expected. One of the wing servo covers is wrong, the rear horizontal stab is warped and we tried to get the wing joiner tube into the left wing for over two hours!!! The tube slides in the right wing half fine. The joiner only slides in ~4 inches and you have to use pliers to get it out. [:@] Let's not forget the mismatch color on the cockpit cover. It's a couple of shades darker red then the whole plane. Is anyone else having the same issues? What did you do for the wing joiner tube issue? He must of got a lemon!
Hi Tundra man. first the servo covers are suppose to be three alike and one different. choose one of the three identical hatches and the odd one for the aileron servos (they should be opposing each other) The two hatches left that are alike are for the flaps. that is so you dont have to use a reversed flap servo for the other flap. Look at the instruction booklet for clearification and note that the control horns are not mounted in exactly the same spot on the flaps. Second there should be no problem in getting the wing tube in either half of the wing. There is either some of the glue that holds the tube sleve that has soaked through the tube causing a blockage or other from of tube disfigurement. Get in touch with great planes for a replacement. Mine went together with no trouble I just had to push a littler harder on one but it really wasen't something I considered out of the ordanary and the tube was easily removed with moderate twisting pressure. I epoxied my wing together anyway. I realise you have to get the tube in all the way weather you glue it or not. The color issue is normal for just about all arfs. I have had very few that matched perfectly. My hangar 9 hellcat and my Top Flite/Great Planes P-6 Hawk were the only two I can rember being perfect paint matches. Now I am deciding if I really want to use electric for power or a nitro motor. Even using small servos for the wing it seems heavy with 4 servos and the metal wing tube. Also another thought for the tube, if the wing does not seem to have any obstruction in it causing the problem try sanding the black off the tube. I sanded mine down so the epoxy would stick better and there seemed to be a lot of paint or what ever they used to color the tube on mine. any way good luck this model looks great when finished. Thercav8r
Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Hi, Here is a idea reguarding new or repaired radio systems. I never fly a new, repaired or a radio that has been crashed but seems to work ok in a new model or model I really care about. I have been flying for 40 years and many years ago I retrived a crashed, I should say damaged trainer from our trashcan at our local field and repaired it to use a a test plane. I leave the servos in it and just use the receiver and battery from the raido being tested. I fly / test the radio for 10 full flights. This may seem boreing but it has saved me and a lot of my budies a several planes over the years. I have loaned it out many times and it has been repaired many times as well almost to the point its safty for flight has been questioned on many ocations. This model has to have over 1000 flights on it over the years and is on it 3rd set of servos and 4th engine. For the most part its testing is boring and I normaly let some one at the field fly it a couple times. But when there is a problem it is worth it not to loose a good model.
TheRcav8r