Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Four Star 40 extremely nose heavy

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Four Star 40 extremely nose heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Star 40 extremely nose heavy

I just got finished putting together a ARF Four Star 40 with a Super Tigre GS-45 in the nose. I put the plane on the balancer at the recommended CG point and the thing hangs straight down, taking a lot of pressure to push the plane level. Anyone have any problems with these planes being extremely nose heavy? Engine is correctly mounted and i have the battery as far back as I can get it. I think it may take a bowling ball in the back end to get this thing balanced.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:27 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Four Star 40 extremely nose heavy

Yes I had the same problem with mines. The only way I could get it to balance was by putting the battery behind the servo's.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:19 PM
phildflyer

I also had a very nose heavy plane with an OS .46 AX. What you need to do is find a spot behind the servo tray. I installed my 1000m 4.8v Nicad in the turtle deck. It balances out fine now. Also noted that when you start to trim your plane, remember if you used the supplied nylon pushrodes and it is hot outside, they may expand. You will need to readjust your trim. This may lead you to think you are either tail or nose heavy when you might be right on the money. Let me know what you think of the plane.
I was disappointed in the ground handling. The supplied landing gears are very soft. I fly off of paved runways and will take off and land in cross winds.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:28 PM
outdoorhunting

My 4* 40 was nose heavy also. I made a removable " hatch" on the bottom of the fus right behind the canopy. It balanced perfectly afterwords. I build a 4*60 after that & it balanced fine w/ the battery up front. Go figure .
Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 AM
Ryan I.

Well, I moved the battery behind the servo tray and I added 3 oz of lead to the tail; that got her leveled up. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:37 AM
outdoorhunting

You can play quite a bit with battery placement. I have even changed battery shape ( gone from the 4 cells all laid out flat to all 4 grouped together) so I could fit it as far back in fus as it would go.. Let us know how maiden went, with pics if possible. Good luck !!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:29 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

My 4* 40 was nose heavy also. I made a removable " hatch" on the bottom of the fus right behind the canopy. It balanced perfectly afterwords. I build a 4*60 after that & it balanced fine w/ the battery up front. Go figure .

Were they both ARFs? Nothing to figure. The workers really aren't atuned to wood selection at all. Whatever wood is in the stack is what goes on next.

Dealing with balance problems like this is just one of the skills today's ARF "builders" need to acquire. It's a small price to pay for such complete components.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Ryan I.

Let us know how maiden went, with pics if possible. Good luck !!
Well, I havent flown in about 4 years (bought a new house and a 69 Mustang that have been taking up most of my time) so I may need some luck Hopefully I will be able to beat the weather this year and get some flying in. When I maiden her I'll try to post pics.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:22 PM
outdoorhunting

Both 4*s were ARFs. since then I've (kits ) built 4*60, Super Sportster 60 / with 75 Super Tiger, Super Chipmonk 60 & now scratch building MidWest Super Hots 60 again w/75 Super Tiger. You can can probably see why my planes mostly turn out nose heavy. I always put a bigger motor in them . Too much Horsepower Just right !!!! A plane that's not balanced usually don't last long !!!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

If you can move the engine back toward the firewall it will really help with the CG issue. I just assembled a Great Planes Venus 40 and it was WAY tail heavy, so I put a 3/16" spacer between the firewall and engine mount and it solved the problem. Best thing is no additional weight needed.

For your situation you can try sliding the engine back on the mount (may require a new mount?), and the fuel and exhaust lines don't HAVE to come through the hole in the center of the firewall. As the engine adds a lot of weight to the model, small changes will have an affect.

Also are you balancing the model upside down?

I'm for doing whatever it takes before adding extra weight.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 AM
Ryan I.

I've got the motor back as far as recommended to do so, so not much movement there. I agree, I dont like adding weight but I dont have much choice other than relocating the battery clear to the back of the plane which isnt very accessible.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

Moving things around is not convenient, but well worth the trouble compared to adding weight. My 4*40 flies better at 4.6 pounds than at 5.0 lbs. It flies much better balanced properly. A little behind the main spar is perfect, lands sooo sloowww. Inverted needs just a touch of down.

If you are using a standard servo for throttle and it's up front, it can be replaced by a mini moved way back.

My Kobra flies a bit nose heavy, but the battery is back by the rear wing mounting area. I will be removing the nose gear and main gear, convert to taildragger. If still nose heavy, get a smaller battery mounted in the rear fuse area. May go smaller just to get it lighter. It won't be too much work, but am confident it will be well worth the trouble.

I've heard many complain about the floating tendencies of the 4*. I am convinced this is a result of improperly balanced (nose heavy) and or improperly tuned engine (high idle speed).

It's a fun plane, stick with the fine tuning and you will be rewarded!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I would forget about what is 'recommended' for the engine placement, and move the engine as far back as you can so you have about 3/32" of clearance between the back plate and the cheeks of the plane. They recommend a place for the engine so it balances right, which obviously isn't working. Can you post a pic?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Daren71

I just went thru this with a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 40. I am using a O.S. 46 AX, and it was very nose heavy as well. I ended up using a wooden prop, a Bisson (pitts style) muffler, and cutting down the Hanger 9 motor mount, till it weighed the same as a Dave Brown mount. I ended up using a 1/4 oz. of lead on the tail.

Even if I had used all the stock pieces, the battery would have been on the horizontal stab. I just couldn't use 3 oz. of lead. Daren