Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 ultra stick or super stick?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 ultra stick or super stick?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
dapam03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 ultra stick or super stick?

I'm looking for a plane that can handle winds well, a confidence builder. I'm looking at putting an ax46 O.S. on it. What is best? the Ultra stick 40? or the Super stick 40? I don't want to go with the flaps. I appreciate any input on this.
thanks,
dapam03
Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 PM
sthill

Default RE: Hanger 9 ultra stick or super stick?

I purchased a OS .46FX/UltraStick combo as a 2nd plane years back and it is FUN to fly. Typically I use an 11x5 prop to keep it slow. Mine is setup with flaps but I rarely use them. On low rates, I think this plane is easier to fly than my Avistar trainer and is a great 2nd plane. This plane has large wing/elevator/rudder surface areas and will get pushed around by the wind. That being said, the UltraStick it is an honest flyer and rarely surprises.

If you fly off grass I would suggest reinforcing the landing gear block and put in a couple of nylon bolts to hold the gear on. It will limit repairs if you have a very rough landing. Also, replace the cheap tail wheel bracket supplied with a Sullivan to save the rudder and rudder servo. I use a black MACs pipe on my .46FX. It directs the glow goo farther back and down than the stock muffler and keeps the plane a bit cleaner. (also sounds better than the stock muffler).

I have an OS .46AX in my Pulse XT and it is a terrific engine. Just a small adjustment on the high speed needle each session and it provides lots of power and is VERY reliable. IMHO, I think the .46AX has the same power but is more reliable IMHO than the .46FX.

All in all, I don’t think you can go wrong with an UltraStick / OS .46AX combo!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Daren71

sthill, you sure you don't live at my address?? I replaced my Avistar with a H9 Ultra stick, and I am really enjoying it. I am using a OS 46AX, and its got lots of power, not vertical acceleration, but lots of speed. I haven't tried to land with the flaps, but have tried some slow flight with them.

The only thing that I had problems with was getting it balanced. I had to use a wooden prop, a Bisson muffler, and really trim up the motor mount. I hate using lead, so I ended up using 1/4 oz. on the rear fuselage.

So far, the stock set-up for the landing gear has worked well, the airplane lands like a dream, even when its windy. You don't have to use the flaps, H9 gives you the option of installing a full set of ailerons, or they give you a set of flaps and ailerons. Its your choice. You won't be disappointed with a Stick. Daren
Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
dignlivn

FWIW

I have GP 40 stick with a Saito 82. This is my second
plane. I soled 7-2-08 on my trainer. You will love the stick,
albeit Ugly, it will teach you to Fly better today than you
did yesterday. JMO, even in the wind.

Enjoy,

Bob
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
sthill

Daren,

I would also suggest the Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40 if/when you want to move to a low wing plane. It is a great looking plane that is super light and a ton of fun to fly. It is much faster than the UltraStick and is a great overall sport plane. It isn’t a 3D plane but I just picked one up this summer and is perfect with the .46AX.

Just a suggestion!

Steve
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Daren71

Thanks for the advice. I'm always looking for something a little different. I repaired a LT-40, and converted it to a tail-dragger, and put a Saito 56 on it. Not original, but something a bit different. On my bench now is a scratch-built, old pylon racer that never flew. Its from an older, retired gentleman and it looks like it should be pretty quick, even with a .25 to .35 something on the nose. Its got a foam wing core, and an expoxied fuselage already done, so its about the same as the way an ARF would come. I'm taking my time on it and I am trying to keep it light. Daren
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
dapam03

thanks for the input guys. I read that the Ultra has has the ultra cote covering on it. Which I'm familiar with as i built a Sig four star 60 and covered it with that. The Super stick has a different covering, which i'm not familiar with. So I think the Ultra Stick sounds good to me. I don't really care about the flaps.
dapam03
Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 AM
chuck993

I've had the H9 Ultra Stick 60 for almost 2 years and have flown in it up to 30 to 35 mph consistent wind, which was a bit much, but I wanted to do it...LOL...

It is a great airplane, great in winds, I have the flaps and use them for kite type hovering to hold the plane into the wind and practice holding the plane in one spot without moving or to slow it down to a crawl and to do regular hovers. The H9 pulse is a nice airplane also. I will always have a stick though from now on, it will get you in the air when everyone else is on the ground due to winds. In a 90 degree strong crosswind at the field, you just point it into the wind and go ACROSS the runway. Also, deploy the flaps and the airplane takes off in a couple of feet.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:42 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Since the H9 Ultra Stick came out, I have had four of them all with Saito 50 or 56 engines. Two well worn ones were eventually lost to radio failure and one well worn one was sold to a relative. I still have one as well as an Ultra Stick 60 and 120. I had a Super Stick 60 for several years until it was shot down by someone turning their transmitter on.

First of all as previously said they do not balance with the hefty aluminum engine mount supplied without 4" of 5/16" key stock glued to the horizontal stabilizer. Therefore I've always used a Great Planes engine mount and they are balanced without additional weight.

I've always changed the tail wheel to a Dubro bracket set up. Never had any tail wheel problems.

The main landing gear block is some kind of gnarled hard wood that is poorly glued. I changed to nylon retainer bolts with maple plywood.

I fly at an airport where the grass is sometimes higher than ideal so I use 3 1/2" wheels.

The one I still have, has the flaps which I rarely use even though I like to do landings.

The flaps do work as designed. I use them full hilt. I programmed in a little down elevator with the flaps. It will jump off the ground on take off with half or full flaps and still climb out.

One thing I eventually discovered is that the plane is a hoot to set up on high rate only and use 60% expo - even on the throttle. Flies very gentle if that's your day yet will flip the tightest snap rolls you ever saw if you get that sudden notion.

I also have a Super Stick 60 and it is more difficult to set up as a tail dragger and does not have the rudder control of the Ultra Stick.