Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

model suggestions for weekend flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

model suggestions for weekend flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:04 AM
ceecrb1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default model suggestions for weekend flyer?

i´m trying to find a suitable model for me, but what with there being endless shops with endless options it is prooving difficult.

I´m looking for a good looking model to be my principal plane.
I like to perform large sweaping acrobatics.... 3d does not interest me much.

I dont want to buy a "budget"model but also am not looking for a "pro" level competition plane.

Planes such as revolver interest me a lot, but I understand it is more of a speed machine than acrobat..

Edit: also it must be "car friendly" sized,
I am currently wearing out my phoenix dolphin low wing trainer after retiring the trainer.

suggetsions?????

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: model suggestions for weekend flyer?

Only one answer I can think of. 4*s get a 40 size if your transportation is a big problem. If you have a little bit more room, go for the "60" size. They're super easy to build & an absolute joy to fly. There is all kinds of threads on the 4*s to help you build & possibly "bash" a little. I've had 2 of them & (had) ya dumb thumbs. I miss flying them. They make a good pilot better & a bad pilot look good !!!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend a H9 Pulse XT 40 or 60. They are great planes.

Bruce
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at these three:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=750

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=706

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=915
Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 AM
opjose

That's a loaded question around here... most of us have our favorite knock-a-bout planes.

I would venture to suggest something in the .60 - .90 range in size.

This is large enough to fly well and yet not be problematic to transport.

Yet the engine size is small enough not to cost you an arm and a leg in glow fuel...

MiniFlyer's suggested planes are good, as is the Pulse and the Skybolt...

I like my Skybolt so much however that it's one I avoid dragging out all the time, simply because I don't want to risk damaging it.
It's too pretty to beat up.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:02 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at the Rambler-45 from World Models. It flys great with an inexpensive .46-.55 2-stroke and has retracts for added interest. The plane is very stable, can be fast if you want it to and performs traditional aerobatics well. It looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.

The US distributor is www.airborne-models.com but I imagine they have a distributor in Europe as well.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose
I like my Skybolt so much however that it's one I avoid dragging out all the time, simply because I don't want to risk damaging it.
It's too pretty to beat up.
Same here. I love looking at it so much, I hate to put a ding in it. I also tend to take it easy when flying it and never really explore all of its capbilities.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
opjose

Another good suggestion!

So many choices, so little money!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
plopes

WM T34 mentor or WM SS40.
Both are just awsome with irvine 53...
Old 10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Sherman

One of the best aerobatic planes of the sport variety is the Tower Kaos. It flies superbly with any 46, and can really travel with the TT Pro 46 or the OS 46. I've had lots of all kinds of planes, and can think of none that fly better than the Kaos. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
catracer343

The Four* is a great plane if you want a relaxing flier, although the wing might be a bit big for your car. (It will still fit in the back of a 5.0 Ford Mustang!) My favorite plane, and the best one that I have ever owned is the Sig Kougar. It's a fun build, tough as nails, and an even better flyer. You can slow it down to a crawl or fire wall it and get 100+ mph. speeds with a good .45 and a tuned pipe. It tracks like it's on rails and is stable as a table at any speed. -Craig
Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I went from a trainer to the Dolphin to the Great Planes Venus II:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLHV1&P=7

Want aerobatics? It doesn't get much better without spending hundreds more dollars. Will it fit in your car? I drive a Civic 2 door coupe and it fits in mine! The performance of this plane (with a 120AX) will blow your mind! Flies very easy and very capable of winning AMA competitions. You will LOVE flying a plane of this size and stability!

And, only $280 minus Tower discounts. You can't beat it!

If you want something 40 size, the Venus 40, under $200. I fly mine with a 46AX and it's very nice. A 55AX or 70 four stroke would be amazing:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBMZ5&P=7
Old 10-21-2008, 10:51 AM
speedair

Take a look at something like the speed air 40 because this is fully aerobatic and if you put the right engine in it it is very fast. I got an os 46LA in mine which does not give me as much power as i could have but has never given me trouble ither. My speed air is 2 years old and never crashed
Old 10-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

Only one answer I can think of. 4*s get a 40 size if your transportation is a big problem. If you have a little bit more room, go for the "60" size. They're super easy to build & an absolute joy to fly. There is all kinds of threads on the 4*s to help you build & possibly "bash" a little. I've had 2 of them & (had) ya dumb thumbs. I miss flying them. They make a good pilot better & a bad pilot look good !!!
Most reasonable sized 4 door cars will handle a 60 size plane, if the rear seats fold down. We have a Chrysler 300C (big) and a 5 year old Camry and I don't have a bit of problem putting my Alpha 60 in either. I'm currently assembling a 4*60 which will also not be a problem in either. With the wings off you should be able to put the tail through the back seat opening by tilting it a bit as you put it in, then setting it down on the wheels and using somthing to chock it in place. The Camry will hold the plane, field box, tool bag, folding chair and cooler with no problem, and the passenger seat still available for adult use. I think the Camry has room enough for both along with the other stuff, and no doubt that the 300 will do it.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
mydartswinger

If you're looking for something similar to the Seagull Extra in the above link, also check out their .60 size Yak 54. I throroughly enjoy mine. It was my 3rd plane. I can regularly fit it, as well as 1-2 other planes (depending on the other planes's size, as I regularly tote around some planes with wingspans in excess of 70" ) and all my flight gear in my Ford Focus Sedan (likely similar in size to a Seat Altea or Toledo). I also know a lot of people who like the Sig Somethin' Extra.

As far as what can go into a small 4-door sedan, I have no problems transporting an 80.75" wingspan Decathlon or a 71" wingspan Tiger Moth biplane in my compact sedan with the seats folded down.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:24 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I´m looking for a good looking model to be my principal plane.
I like to perform large sweaping acrobatics.... 3d does not interest me much.

I dont want to buy a "budget"model but also am not looking for a "pro" level competition plane.

Planes such as revolver interest me a lot, but I understand it is more of a speed machine than acrobat..

A lot of what you're describing, would be a pattern plane along the lines of GaRCfield's description. Here's how I estimate:

1. "Large, sweeping aerobatics": A pattern plane like the Venus 40 is designed for exactly that. Large, sweeping aerobatics.

2. "Not a budget model, but not 'pro' level competition": The Venus 40 is right at about the middle. Not a budget machine, but also not an expensive exacto-precision pro aerobat.

3. "More an aerobat than a speed machine": With the capability of landing at a slower speed than the Revolver, yet capable of high-speed passes, the Venus would give a fairly wide flight latitude, which is desirable for a reasonably skilled sport pilot.

4. This is an ARF thread, so I'm assuming you're not into a kit. Otherwise, I would have stuck my neck out for the Ultra Sport.

So there you have it. I think you were describing either the Venus II, or Venus 40 in your thread. Actually, closer to the Venus 40. As for me, now I can't decide whether I want build an Ultimate or "assemble" (build, in my opinion) a Venus. Be careful, ceecrb1: These airplanes breed like rabbits, and my Rapture 40 had its first litter last Spring......

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 AM
QF306

How about Electric something like a Eflite t34 or Apprentice?
Old 10-22-2008, 05:07 PM
mikekosatka
My Feedback: (7)

Goldburg Tiger 60!!
Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Dragonlady from Modeltech-relaxing plane to fly and great knock-about
Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
nebp40man

My third plane was a worldmodels Super Stunts ARF. .40 size, large wing, trike,(lands great) with great aerobatic capabilities. I haven't seen any intermediate plane that does a better flat spin. Last I checked it was $100. .60 size big brother was $200. A little smaller .40 that flies great and is easy to haul is the Hanger 9 Aresti. Can't tell you if any of these Three are readily available but they're great fliers. The Aresti has a narrow cord and will really git if you push the throttle. Wouldn't recommend it for the inexperienced. Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Tman
My Feedback: (3)

The Seagull Spacewalker II, under $130.00 with most of the work done for you, like pinned hinges, two pilots already installed, etc. Great flyer with a 40 or 46 2 stroke. Great flyer. I have a Pulse XT, 2 years old and my most favorite plane but its a more expensive kit.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM
robbinsp
My Feedback: (10)

as tman and landeck mentioned, i must concur. the pulse xt 40 or 60. the best benefit of this plane compared to the others mentioned, is the two piece wing. It is simple, easy to assemble at the field, and really takes alot less room in your car! i bet you could fit it in a beetle not to mention work clothes, field equipment, and a passenger.

The plane can do whatever you want except for 3d. Changing the prop and engine can account for very wide performance envelope. Plus you cant beat the looks! I like to think mine is the sexiest! heh

Just my humble opinion.

Robbins
Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I'll second the Venus 40. Its a good stable flyer on low rates, very responsive on high rates, rolls are axial, flies inverted extremely well, knife edges great, handles wind wel, lands slower than you would think. Detach the wing by taking out two bolts and it fits in the back seat or trunk of just about any car. Mine has .46 ax, all the speed and power I need in a .40 size plane!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:33 AM
forestroke

My weekend flyer is a WM Rambler 30... too bad it's not offered anymore.

My next choice would be the Kangke 1/5 Monocoupe 90A. That's going to be in my workshop soon. Just bought a nice radial for it!

As everyone said, this is really a subjective questions. But I also love the way the Skybolt looks. Just don't know how easy it is to fly. If only they'd ship to Taiwan!!!