Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 300s engine

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Extra 300s engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:38 PM
hulio516

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix Extra 300s engine

Is an OS 61FX with a pitts muffler too much for the Phoenix Extra 300s

please reply

Hulio
Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM
squeaky penguin

Default RE: Phoenix Extra 300s engine

I don't know what elevation you're at but to answer your question, no. I have one and live a 7,000'. I first had an OS FL70 four stroke on it and had a heck of a time trying to keep it flying. I now have and Super Tigre 90 two stoke on it and its by no means over-powered. The plane is built pretty well, just heavy.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
hulio516

I just want enough engine to get me off the ground with no problems. I had a Sig Something Extra with the an OS 46AX on it and I didn't like the way it took off in the grass! I know the Phoenix 300s is heavier than the somethin extra.

I would rather have more power than not enough on take-offs.

Hulio
Old 10-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I've had a couple of Phoenix planes- built very well, a tad heavy though the Extra is only 3.5lbs on Towers site (misprint?). If I were to get the Extra, I would use a 61. Never hurts to check the firewall and add some more glue.

However, something sounds wrong with your 46AX not getting planes off the ground. I fly off a grass strip and my 46AX pulled my Nexstar, Dolphin, and Venus 40 off with no problems - 3/4 throttle for the Nexstar, less for the Dolphin, and I use full throttle on the Venus just because I'm AMAZED by the ground speed I get in such a short distance!

What prop are you using? The Venus 40 specs heavier than the Somethin' Extra, so something is definitely wrong with your setup. I broke the 46AX in with an 11x5, and switched to a 12x5 after 5 or so gallons (10% nitro) - plenty of pull for a 40 size plane.