Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What plane/engine to buy? Help me

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What plane/engine to buy? Help me

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:26 PM
ameyam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What plane/engine to buy? Help me

Dear All,

In october last year I built a Explorer-40 with a OS 0.55 AX engine. I have flown the same for a year now. Recently my engine seized mid-flight due to crank failure. Repairing the engine will cost me over half of the cost of a new engine. Since I was also getting bored with my highwinger, my instructor is suggesting I buy an OS 0.91AX (2-S) available with him.

Regarding my flying experience, I have no crashes so far (though some initial landings have been rough). Currently flying on a borrowed OS 0.46AX. I am doing loops, rolls, snap rolls, vertical figure-8s, Cuban figure-8s, Flat-spins and reverse flatspins, which is about as much as this plane can do (Torque rolls and knife-edge not possible on the Explorer-40 highwing). Also, I will need to upgrade shortly as my plane is showing signs of aging.

So, should I take the 0.91?

If I decide to take the 0.91, I will need to upgrade my model. In India, Extra-300s, Tiger-60, Cap-232, Falcon-50 (Oxalys Equivalent) and Yak-3D 54 (Or equivalent of these models) are available. I am looking for a easy to fly plane with sturdy construction and one that can do aerobatics more easily.

Can anyone guide me on which upgrade path to follow?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:40 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What plane/engine to buy? Help me

A Tiger .60 with a .91 two stroke would be a wonderful combination and it sounds like the right level of difficult for you at this point.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 PM
ameyam

What about the other models? Someone suggested the Extra 300s initially. My instructor has as yet not suggested anything
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's too bad about the OS crank. Are you running enough oil in the fuel? It sounds that you would be able to handle any of the models you have mentioned without too much of a problem. I have a Black Horse Extra 300 that would be great with the 91 you mentioned, if they are available in India. They are built fairly well and the prices in the US are reasonable.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
ameyam

Dear All,

I inquired further and I have the following four choices

Tiger 60 (Make is unknown)
Tucano 60 (Make is unknown)
Javelin II-90 (Make is unknown)
Accipiter (Make is unknown)

I regret not having the makes but that is because here mostly the same models are available with unknown makes. I inquired with some experienced modellers and tiger, tucano, javelin and accipiter have good build quality. The covering will come off with time as with most chinese kits and can be replaced. But the rest of the model will be the real deal.

I will update this post if I get the makes.

So what do you suggest?

Ameya
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

I'd go with the Tiger 60, the Goldberg design. Soft landings.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:47 AM
ameyam

Dear All,

I inquired and am restricting my choices to the Tiger 60 and Tucano 60 both Phoenix make. Can someone help me decide? Anyone have these planes?

Ameya
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 AM
da Rock

If I were you, I'd start over with my decisions.

First of all, what are the reasons for your choice of a 90 with no consideration of 60s? There is actually very little added value for a 90 compared to a 60 and quite an expense in fuel costs. The only real value to a 90 over a 60 is the ability to pull models that're too large for a 60. And it appears that you're looking only at 60 size models. And the ones you're interested in appear to be average size 60 models. Do you fly at very high altitudes? That might be the only winning argument for a 90 over a 60.

I fly a number of models with OS91FX engines (there presently is no OS91AX) and with OS61FX engines. The difference in fuel consumption is significant. The difference in performance is not, because none of the airplanes is abnormally large or heavy for 60size models. The difference in performance is mostly limited to the top speed. I actually made the engine choice in order to be able to fly a much larger propeller for scale looks as the 91s are on models of WWII fighters. I wanted those models to have scale looking props and flew with them. I do have a 60size Hobbico Sukhoi with a 91 on it, and it does benefit from the extra power as I fly it aerobatically. It does benefit with better vertical. In fact, the full benefit is not needed. There is more improvement to the vertical than I ever use. And that model is my reason for suggesting that you will not need a 91 on a 60size model unless you're really flying the devil out of the sucker.

I also happen to have a Tiger60. I don't know of any made by Phoenix. Mine is a Carl Goldberg that I got from Tower Hobbies. I flew it to begin with behind an OS61FX and it flew excellently. When the OS75AX appeared that Tiger got one. It's performance improved a bit, but not worth the price difference between a 61 and a 75. And fuel consumption is just slightly greater.

Unless you fly at high altitude, my advice is to go with the OS61FX on that Tiger60. The Tiger60 is an excellent 2nd airplane. Excellent! That is, the CGoldberg one is. I have no idea what a Phoenix Tiger60 would be. BTW, I am familiar with Tucano's. The CG Tiger60 is a much better model for a developing flyer.

Keep in mind that any of your model choices that have tapered wings are better chosen by beginners later in their careers. Leave off the tapered wings until you've flown at least a couple of straight wing models. Tapered wings naturally stall from the tips. Straight wings naturally stall from the root, and have much better reaction to the stall. They are far more apt to stall straight ahead on botched landing approaches for example. Go with a straight wing until such day as you are more comfortable in your own flying ability, and want a model that you can snap roll easily.

Good luck on your choices.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80578.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	1046855  
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 AM
ameyam

Dear Da Rock / All,

I appreciate your thought process on the engine size but there is only one point here: 0.61 is not available. Getting it from Tower will cost me more than a 0.75. So I would so for the 0.75, in that case why not go the 0.91 (the difference in local price is about $10).

Regarding the model, CG is not available here but an equivalent may be available. I am giving the link to the site where I am getting my models:

www.paylessflymore.com

I request you to go through the 60 size models under sports category on that site. My instructor suggested Tiger 60, Tucano 60, Javelin II 90 and Accipiter (I dont know their equivalent international models; Javelin and Accipiter are more expensive). Searching here may be a small inconvinience for you but will help me a lot. Personally, I am leaning towards the Tiger-60

There is also another route, I am lopking around for a used 0.46 in decent condition wherein I can takeup a plane such as Scanner / Tiger 40 or Oxalys (Falcon 3D), but there is no guarantee I will get such an engine

Ameya
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM
ameyam

Frankly I am starting to contemplate taking a new 0.46 engine with a better flying plane such as Scanner or Tiger40. The only catch is that I will be stuck with that 0.46 for some time to come. What Say?
Old 10-07-2008, 01:18 AM
NorfolkSouthern

As per your post on the Tucano, the Tiger 40 would be a great idea.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-07-2008, 07:30 AM
da Rock

After looking at the small pictures on that website, the Tiger appears to be a copy of the Carl Goldberg Tiger60. If it is, it's the one I would suggest to any modeler looking for his 2nd model.

The Goldberg Tiger60 is one of the most reliable models you'll ever have. It's non-tapered wing and light wing loading give it very safe flight characteristics. It's so hard to stall that the airplane is quite difficult to snap roll. The snap roll requires that the elevator stall the wing for the airplane to snap. And that wing just doesn't want to stall sharply.

I'm presently flying my Tiger60 with the OS75AX. I had a spare OS91 when I chose to retrofit the 61 that was on the Tiger with the 75. Why did I put the 75 on instead of the 91? A couple of reasons.................

The ground clearance of any model enforces a maximum prop diameter as a limitation. No matter what the engine on a Tiger60, it won't be able to use larger diameter props than a 61 could spin. If you notice in the attached picture of my Tiger60 above, a 3-blade prop is bolted on that model. The 75 on that airplane was a bit underpropped with that diameter prop when that prop had 2 blades. That 3blade works well with it's additional blade area. If I had placed a 91 on the airplane, it would have suffered more than the 75 does. Think about it. A 91's power is one and a half greater than a 61. It's going to NEED more prop just to keep warm. When they're not warm, they're not running well.

Yes, the very small price difference between an OS91 and OS75AX makes the 91 very appealing. But unless you've got a place to effectively use the 91, you might be buying a headache instead of a bargain.

To simplify my advice........... Avoid tapered wing models until you've got more flight time. Pick the engine to suit the plane.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM
ameyam

It should be a copy of the Goldberg; I have seen the Tiger 40 (also refered to as AT-40L) fly and flying characteristics of that and my highwinger are the same. In fact, I was to start with the Tiger 40 as my first model but for the unavailability at that time.

I have not flown the tiger 40. But I am definately bored with trying to get my highwinger (with extra large 65" wingspan) to snaproll. It almost always barrel-rolls when I apply rudder. I need a model that will snap-roll when commanded to and fly level when required.

Tiger 60 with a 0.61 or 0.75 was what I was aiming for initially. But again neither is available. If at all I take the 0.91, I will definately be putting a three blade prop on it. Ground clearence will definately be an issue, but I will not be using the default landing gear, that will shear off in the first landing as the ground here is very rough and we get a lot of crosswind and gusts as we fly close to the sea. The longer gear will give more clearence.

I will take my desision in time. Kindly feel free to add anything to this post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
ameyam

I have finally decided to settle on a OS46 size engine (due to ease of availability). Also, I have shortlisted 3 planes

Phoenix Tiger 40
Phoenix Scanner
Pheonix Tucano 40

or the equivalent of these planes. Which of them should be ideal?