Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Twist 40 ARF ailerons up 17 degrees, down 23 degrees

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Twist 40 ARF ailerons up 17 degrees, down 23 degrees

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Scott_S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist 40 ARF ailerons up 17 degrees, down 23 degrees

I can't seem to get them any closer than this. Will it make it fly too wierd?

I'm using a Y connector. I'm wondering if I was to use two channels I could limit the
travel in the Travel Adjust screen (DX7).

The wing is so big it makes it hard to tell when the ailerons are neutral, but if they're not I should be able to
trim it out with elevator should'nt I?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:29 PM
opjose

Default RE: Twist 40 ARF ailerons up 17 degrees, down 23 degrees

This means that you don't have your linkages set up properly.

Remove ALL trims and adjustments you may have done on your TX.

With the TX ON, center the sticks and trims.

Remove the control horns from the plane and turn on the RX.

Now replace the control horns so that they sit 90 degrees perpendicular to the length of the servos.

Be SURE that the point where the linkage joins the horn at the aileron, occurs right over the hinges.

At mid position everything should be square.

If you get more DOWN aileron ( not desireable!!! as this will introduce adverse yaw !!!) than up aileron..., this means that at "center" your linkages are set up so your servo horn effectively angles backward. As you move the stick the servo horn can travel further forward than it can backward...

Likewise if you were to get more UP than down the reverse would be true.

Bear in mind that with everything squared up, you may also have some binding, or there may not be enough hinge gap, or the bevels on both the wings and the ailerons may be such that travel is being restricted in one direction...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Scott_S.

I'm gonna have to take another look at that. I do have more down degrees than up so that's no good.

The rods are those that come with H9 stuff and you have to bend a 90 degree bend right at the servo horn hole.

I need more adjustment. I think the problem is the ailerons are not neutral. They looked neutral when I installed
the servos but after mounting the wing they are clearly up just a few degrees.
I have fought this build from the beginning, every nut and bolt nothing sized right, bad T-nut right in the firewall, broke
off bolts, I'd gladly spend another 50 bucks just to get first class hardware.

The only thing that went good is the engine. OS 55AX, fired up first crank. What a motor. Oh well.............
back to the basement
Old 10-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Scott_S.

ORIGINAL: opjose

Now replace the control horns so that they sit 90 degrees perpendicular to the length of the servos.

That's one problem I have, the control horns are off half a gear on these. I can't get the exact 90 degrees.

DS821s, brand spanking new.

Could I center them with sub-trim? The DX7 keeps all that in memory.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
opjose

It doesn't have to be absolutely 90 degrees but as close as you can get things. Always do this mechanically not with subtrim.

Remember that if you don't seem to get 90 degrees, then you may want to try another servo arm, and face it the opposite way...

e.g. use a servo crossed shaped arm and keep trying the different arms.

They are set up so that if is off on one arm, another will be right on the money...

If the servo arms is canted forward, you will get more UP aileron travel ( a bit is preferably to avoid adverse yaw ), if backward you will get more down aileron travel ( which may introduce MORE adverse yaw ).

Try to align the arms on both servos so the are "off" by the same amount in the same direction...

e.g. if 2 degrees forward, on one side, the other should be the same.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott:
Don't use the Y connector. Plug one servo into ails, the other into AUX 1, then use the manual to do flaperons. Then you can set the servo neutral with subtrim and endpoints for each servo with the transmitter.

Gord.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Scott_S.

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Scott:
Don't use the Y connector. Plug one servo into ails, the other into AUX 1, then use the manual to do flaperons. Then you can set the servo neutral with subtrim and endpoints for each servo with the transmitter.

Gord.
That's exactly what I was wanting to know. I finally fixed it tonite the hard way, made new rods a tad longer and got my ailerons
absolutely neutral. I had them about 1/4 inch up from neutral and could not adjust it down. Made new rods and they are good to go now.
Way too much trouble.

Thanks for the info, I'm building a Mojo next and that's the route I'll take unless the profile allows a simpler push rod setup.
But I'll have the channels in the AR7000 so may as well use them.