Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

CG for TIGER 2

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

CG for TIGER 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 PM
ohnoucdat
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG for TIGER 2

Anyone know what the cg is on the tiger 2 looks like it's gonna need a brick to balance it[:@] looks very tail heavy
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CG for TIGER 2

The cg is where it is for any airplane. Start at 25% MAC and experiment forward and aft from there after you have flown it to find the best place for you. On a Tiger Two, which has a straight, constant chord wing, that is 1/4 of the way back from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage side.
Evan.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:26 AM
kojak41

[8D]Yes, the ARF tends to need a lots of weight in the nose but it can handle the extra weight. Remember, nose heavy models fly poorly, but tail heavy models fly once.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:50 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For the Tiger II, the CG range is 3 1/2 to 4 3/8" back from the Leading Edge. They recommend starting at 3 7/8"
Old 10-11-2008, 09:17 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I flew mine at 4-1/2" for over a year. It was not snappy at this setting at all. Matter of fact it would do touch and goes on the mains all day long. The draw back was it would fall on the tail when it was just sitting there. I should have said before I built it as a tricycle gear. As long as the engine was running there was enough air over the tail to keep the nose down. As soon as I would kill the engine the tail would fall.The guy who has it now put a bunch of weight in the nose. It will taxi better but I cant tell much difference beyond that.

David
Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What MinnFlyer said and.........

My TigerII and Tiger60 were identical in one thing. With their straight, non-tapered wings (straight wings stall from the center naturally), and smallish elevators, they almost wouldn't stall. In fact, I've heard other oldtimers speculate that the airplane was designed so that it would be extremely difficult to stall. One of 'em even knew the designer, I think.

And my experience says that's pretty close to the truth. I noticed that my TigerII would not snap roll worth spit. I was testing to cure that when I moved on to the Tiger60. And it resisted doing snap rolls even harder. It wound up with a different CG about every outing. Then I doubled the elevator's area. It now reluctantly does snaps, but they ain't sudden ones, no sir, no how. It is still an absolutely dependable flyer. Too much elevator any time (like on final when you can't really see the airspeed cause you got 'er goin' so slow) and she just mushes forward..... some.

Study that horizontal tail and you'll see part of the reason. It's got an almost square aspect ratio. That doesn't help effectiveness of the elevator. And a very small proportion of the total area is elevator. Same thing. Less effective elevator. And then you got that straight wing.

It's one of the most comfortable airplanes to fly that we've got available to us. And anywhere you arrange the CG to be shouldn't be any real problem. Well, as long as it's in a reliable range.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM
ohnoucdat

Thanks for the help I had to put battery under fuel tank and a steel prop nut balanced fine now to try and fit a bigger tank 8 ounces ain't gonna cut it
Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM
MinnFlyer

For a Tiger II, 8oz is plenty. At 3/4 throttle, you should get runs up to 15 minutes
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 AM
ohnoucdat

I'll give it a try I have a new 46 ax on it running it rich so I'll set timer for about 8 mins and get her on ground. When I lean it out after break-in I'll move timer to 10 mins I don't fly at WOT so if you think I could atleast get 10 mins out of her I would be happy. Dead sticks make my knee's knock.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:28 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ohnoucdat

I'll give it a try I have a new 46 ax on it running it rich so I'll set timer for about 8 mins and get her on ground. When I lean it out after break-in I'll move timer to 10 mins I don't fly at WOT so if you think I could atleast get 10 mins out of her I would be happy. Dead sticks make my knee's knock.

Want to know a technique that'll tell you in one flight how many minutes of flight are in the tank?

Measure the fuel used from your first flight and extrapolate.

If you use a hand cranked pump to fuel, it's dead simple to do. If you don't and you're flying a tiger it's still dead simple, but you gotta open up the tank compartment hatch and estimate by sight.

I use a hand cranked pump and count my fuel in. The little Tiger took something like 22 cranks to fill for the first flight. First flight when I swapped the 55 for the 46 I flew for 5 minutes and counted how many cranks it took to fill it back up. Then I knew how much of the tank the 5 minutes had taken. I don't remember the numbers from back then, but no way did that little sucker ever run out of fuel from then on.

Knocking knees on a skinny guy will wear out your pantlegs. By saving money on clothes, I've been able to afford more airplanes. At least that's my excuse for the next airplane purchase. I've also found that if your excuse for your next purchase is long and involved and adequately obtuse, they won't ask you next time they catch you bringing in another airplane.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:42 AM
MinnFlyer

Ditto, I always count my cranks, whether it's filling the tank, refilling the tank or emptying the tank.

It's a good habit to get into.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Guys-Has any one done a review on the Tiger 2 ? Or a build thread, or just some discussion on it. Can't seem to find much of anything. I'm putting one together for a friend. Seems to be going well, just wondered what others have done.
Thanks in advance-John
Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

If you built the Tiger2 with the "tri gear" setup, remove the rear main landing gear wires & put them in a vise & bend them rearward about an inch or so. The tires need to be rearward that far from stock. It will track on takeoff better & won't sit with the tail on the ground with the engine off. Mine has a OS 50 SX on the nose & three inch wheels. I have flown it a zillion times the last three years.

Tcat