Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Knockabout Maiden Flight

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Knockabout Maiden Flight

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knockabout Maiden Flight

Had my first 3 flights today with my new Pacific Aeromodel Mfg., Inc. Knockabout ARF. Wingspan 62" and used the O.S. 46 AX motor and Spectrum DX7 radio. Beautiful sunny weather, a new plane, rebuilt motor and recently fixed (not yet tested in flight) radio. This was going to be interesting!!

Motor started right up and ran great through a tank of fuel, radio worked as it should and the sky was still sunny. Let the motor cool down and refueled. Lined her up into the wind on our grass runway and advanced the throttle. This bird FLYS!! Per my radio trim check I added one click of up Elev. and that was it. Hands off flying! Nice straight and level flight, not too much back stick required in the turns, pretty wings-level loops and a real nice roll rate. Did a high speed stall and this Knockabout just hung in there and kind of "mushed" at the top. WOW! Same on low speed stalls..just a soft drop of the nose without much loss in altitude. All three landings were keepers and the third one looked very cool and real as it greased in on the mains. My wife was even grinning!!

Spent some time getting the ARF finished: covering needed some work (no big deal), the metal screws and such were quite soft and I replaced them with quality USA goods. The real problem was the paint blistered cowl but I contacted Jim Feldmann and he had a replacement on it's way very quickly (way to go Jim!) and the replacement was much better. I used a 12/6 balanced wooden prop and an O.S. Spinner/Nut instead of the ARF spinner and prop ( and didn't mess up the prop on landings either!!) Other than that it was good to go from the box. I really like the way this R/C model flys and it looks great in the air....kind of VK Cherokee ish if you will. Tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny and 81 degrees here in "Up North" Michigan and I can tell you this...I already have the plane cleaned up and checked over. And on charge for tomorrows flights!! Give this one a look as I believe you'll like it.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Knockabout Maiden Flight

Joe,
I know what you mean about this plane. I got mine directly from Jim (he had a couple in the trunk of his car!) and put some floats on her. I use one of the older OS .46FX's, and flies wonderfully. Plently of power, even on floats, very stable and fast. Glad you enjoy it

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15982.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1049983  
Old 10-11-2008, 08:54 PM
squeakalong

Russ, I love those floats on your plane! Can you tell me where you got those from (did I ask you that question once before....what a wierd feeling that was...must be OFSyndrome)? What a great looking model you have.

Soft landings.

Joe
Old 10-11-2008, 09:10 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

This is a really tough durable plane. I did an inverted landing when I found out the hard way that it doesn't do outside loops to well. This plane is very comparable to the Four Star, except for the outside loops.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
squeakalong

THANKS for the warning on outside loops!!!! I'll be 3...maybe 4 mistakes high when I check 'em out.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:50 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The instructions call for reverse differential in the elevator (more down than up) just for that reason. With the recommended high rate down travel and full throttle it will do a decent outside loop. To be safe though, you can roll it inverted and then do your first outside loop "up" instead of "down".

Sqeakalong: You will get much better performance from a APC 12x4 on that 46AX.

Jim
Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 PM
squeakalong

Jim: Prop switched...going flying to try it out!!

Soft landings.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:53 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: jrf

The instructions call for reverse differential in the elevator (more down than up) just for that reason. With the recommended high rate down travel and full throttle it will do a decent outside loop. To be safe though, you can roll it inverted and then do your first outside loop "up" instead of "down".

Sqeakalong: You will get much better performance from a APC 12x4 on that 46AX.

Jim
Jim I had the plane set with the differential elevators and high/low rates set per manual. Also I had the 46AX with the 12x4 recommended by you. Still I had trouble doing a outside loop. If I flew inverted and tried pulling up instead of rolling out of it the plane would eventually go into sort of a hover then would either tip stall or roll slightly to one side and back into normal flight. I had the CG set per the manual also, I wonder if I had moved it back a little would it haved help it and not be so nose heavy. Needless to say I ended up crashing it pretty bad about 3 months ago. I lost elevators, the clevis end came undone on the elevator horn. I was doing about a 30 degree dive and gave it slight elevator to pull up and nothing happened, it went down nose first. When I looked at it on the ground the rubber piece that hold to clevis end closed was gone and the clevis was disconnected from elevators. Its a shame because I really liked the plane, it was so easy to fly. Im moving onto a more capable third plane.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it will do a long gradual outside loop, just not as tight/on-a-dime as the Four Star.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:18 PM
jrf

Sorry to hear about the crash. To do an outside, the Knockabout has to be on high rates, and yes, maybe yours was a little too nose heavy. But you're right that it won't do a tight on-a-dime outside loop. That's the price you pay for the outstanding slow flight performance of the Knockabout and the rock solid feel that lets you fly so low you can look down on the wing.

Jim
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
squeakalong

Well, back from 3 more flights on my Knockabout. Tried the 12/4 prop after flying the 12/6 and didn't notice a whole lot of difference. Both props flew the aircraft just fine. The guys watching didn't notice much difference either. The plane flew nicely. Inverted was easy to fly with just a touch of down elev.; flew quite a number of laps around the field and it didn't fall off much. Inside loops tracked right nice and outside loops were good from inverted though a bit large and were also large when entered from right side up. You'll want a bit a altitude to check this out and most definately want to be on high rates. This plane will hover into the wind real nice and really slow down nicely without dropping a wing. Had about a 10mph headwind and the plane will nearly come to a standstill albeit with a bit of gentle stickwork. Landings are what I really enjoy...they look realistic and I can slow the plane down while still landing on the mains with a nice rollout. Enjoyed the sticktime today! Something tells me that tomorrow is going to be another flying day...

Soft landings.

Beachbrada: I had to add about a 1/2 ounce of fishing weight right on the tail (mounted on the underside via double-sided tape and a small wood screw) and the plane is still a touch too nose heavy...especially when first fueled up. Inside snaps look like small barrel rolls in either direction. It is certainly nose heavy (though quite stable). I'm going to add some more weight in 1/4 increments until I get it where I'd like it to balance. Have the battery pack located far back from the fuel tank but in front of the receiver. We'll see how she flys and I'll let you know.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 PM
jrf

Well, I'm a little surprised that the 12x4 didn't work better for you, but since you're enjoying the Knockabout, maybe I should just shut my mouth. [sm=thumbs_up.gif] [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Jim

FYI: I usually wrap the battery with soft foam and stick it in the large hole just in front of the rudder servo. With the 46 AX and a plastic spinner that usually means that no tail weight is needed. The Knockabout has a very broad CG range, but I prefer it at 3 3/4" or so.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:11 AM
squeakalong

Hi, Jim. We both know that in theory the 12x4 would work better. What I noticed is that the Knockabout really "grooves" along and is quite smooth in flight with plenty of power from the O.S. 46AX for enjoyment. In this case both props give the illusion that everything is fine. I did notice that the vertical climb was a bit more "sure footed" but other than that I would be pleased with either the 12X4 or the 12X6. I'm going out this morning to fly the Knockabout and will check it out again. Your idea of moving the battery pack in front of the rudder servo sounds like a winner. I have my receiver there now and will swap the two around putting the battery pack further back. I, too, prefer the CG a bit further rearward and was looking at doing just this swap while checking out the plane last night. We're on the right track!! Nevertheless, this is a FUN plane with great looks in the air. Lots of nice comments from fellow R/C flyers yesterday.

Soft landings.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:02 PM
squeakalong

Back from flying the Knockabout. Crosswinds on the runway were 10-15 mph and gusty at times. This plane is fantastic in this kind of weather. Did a lot of takeoffs and landings in the gusty crosswind conditions and never once felt I was going to lose it. What a nice feeling. Cross-control landings into the crosswind were a hoot and the plane just hung in there right down to the ground..a kick of rudder was all it took to settle in on the mains and roll out to a stop. I think I spent more time taking off and landing today than anything else and had a ball with it. This Knockabout is a keeper in my book and I look forward to many enjoyable flights to come. If you're interested in a nice flying model ARF (plan on replacing some of the screws and such though) you really should check this Knockabout ARF out. Thanks, Jim, for a nice "fun-ship" to take to the airfield!

Soft landings.