Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Nitro Planes Ultimate Biplanes

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Nitro Planes Ultimate Biplanes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Planes Ultimate Biplanes

Anyone have any experience with the Nitro Planes 55" or giant scale Ultimate Biplanes? I'm affraid of the "you get what you pay for" theory. I read two reviews of the 55" Ultimate here on rcuniverse and they seem to say good things about it. Anyone else have any experience with these planes? $299 for a 71" Ultimate sounds too good to be true.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:26 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Planes Ultimate Biplanes

ORIGINAL: ForktailedDevil38

Anyone have any experience with the Nitro Planes 55" or giant scale Ultimate Biplanes? I'm affraid of the "you get what you pay for" theory. I read two reviews of the 55" Ultimate here on rcuniverse and they seem to say good things about it. Anyone else have any experience with these planes? $299 for a 71" Ultimate sounds too good to be true.

"you get what you pay for" very often should be, "you don't get what you don't pay for"

With the situation in our ARF market today, we often get less than we expected with just about all of them. But some brands are worse about that than others. I consider the amount paid as a way to deal with probability. With the respected brands and their higher prices, the probability of getting all the joints glued by the mfg is higher and the possibility the wood used is decent and the sucker has a chance to balance near the CG is greater.

But truth is, for experienced modelers, any price is a good deal. We can fix anything, and know to look for what needs fixing. It's a different hobby today. But the skills needed are changed just a very little.

$299 sounds like a heck of a deal. For an experienced modeler. It sounds like a guaranteed nightmare for a newbie. After all, it sounds like they're reducing the price to move something that was already manufactured to make a profit at a market-low price.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 AM
opjose

Yes all of the Ultimates are great flyers and good values for the money. I have each of the available sized Ultimates.

They hold up well with one caveat, which is the "chinakoat" covering.

I regularly coat my newly build Asian Arf's with Top Flight Clear Coat spray to prevent the covering and trim from coming up with glow fuel.

I'd recommend you do the same. It's a cheap and simple fix to this problem.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 PM
RR24

I have 55" ultimate, and i have no complaints, just dont count on much for the instruction's

Wes
Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 PM
opjose

My .40 Ultimates are going on 300 flights now and still going strong... they fit in the trunk perfectly, assembled.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:55 AM
ZebraOne
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: ForktailedDevil38

I have built 2 (two) Nitro Ultimates.(55") Both were very good flyers. I used YS120 for power and the A/C flew well, here on the great desert, at 4200ASL
A very easy plane to fly, but it's a bit draggy, so you need to keep the r's up a bit.
Knife edges ...outa sight! Knife edge loop...Scary, but looks awsome! Rolls very quick... Snaps beautifully...Spins great... Flat spins, easy. Inverted spins. Make your*** pucker, but they always pull out.
The fuse. skin to the firewall needs a good epoxiing! Put servos in the tail. I had to add 2 oz of weight under the stab.
It will do anything that can be done, (within reason)
Get the yellow one ...It's easier to track across the sky[8D]
They were made very well.
My first Ultimate was a Goldberg kit. I flew it in an AMA show team, years ago![&o]
I couldn't build one any better than Nitros.[&o]
Zee
AMA129570
Old 09-08-2010, 08:01 PM
smorehead57
My Feedback: (28)

Do you know where the cg is on the 50cc 71" Ultimate. What they call the manuel only says 105mm from leading edge. Is that top wing, bottom wing, on center or outer edge of wing. Help me please
Old 09-09-2010, 01:14 AM
opjose

The C.G. is measure from the LE of the top wing, in the very center of the wing.