Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54 - anyone built one ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 08:09 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: NitroPlanes 69

Just had mine out again the other day and loved it. OS 120 Surpass III gives it unlimited vertical but not accelerating straight up. UCanDO LG were a great replacement to the stock gear that delam so readily. I just looked back in the thread...I am repeating myself, but oh well, I do enjoy this bird a lot. Jon
Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Rocketman_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great flying cheap $199 Nitroplanes, Chinese made, 3D Model. I'm still enjoying mine with its powerful, great running, YS110S engine.
After the first flying session with this 69-inch YAK I was convinced that I should buy a second one but it was too late, they were sold out. Crap!!
Apparently my opinion of fiberglass landing gear is at odds with that of many others. In my experience, fiberglass gear hold up very well if you don't constantly "crash land" on them. I currently have three planes with fiberglass gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41755.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1676582  
Old 10-26-2011, 11:24 AM
STEVE HOSNER

Just received a NitroPlanes 69" YAK 54. Kit looks pretty good. Pictures on their site don't match the kit. The stab is not removeable and the wing has TE peices that you need to add to the root of the wing.
My kit came with no instructions at all. The kit looks good enough that instructions won't be needed but I would like the CG location and suggested throws. Any one have any of this information?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
WildeOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: STEVE HOSNER

My kit came with no instructions at all. The kit looks good enough that instructions won't be needed but I would like the CG location and suggested throws. Any one have any of this information?

Thanks!

Steve
Steve, could you post pictures of the major pieces in the kit. I'm thinking of buying and would like to see the appearance beforehand. Tkx

BTW, this thread has lots of good info. See post #108 and on for CG info and discussion. Also, a lot of guys replaced the wing tube with CF or reinforced the AL one the plane comes with.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:55 PM
STEVE HOSNER

Jim,

I'll try to post some pictures this week end. I will tell you that I talked to Galen at Nitro Planes, and he has sent the instructions so things are looking up.
I really dislike the way the stab/elevators are tied together. I like a plug in arrangement as shown on the NP website.. I also plan on trying to make
the changes needed to allow the use of seperate servos for each elevator half. Galen also is sending a replacement stab. The one in my kit has a 5/8"
square on the bottom that is covered over. I really don't understand what it could be used for and I'm sure that it would weaken the strength of the stab.

Pictures coming.

Steve
Old 10-30-2011, 05:12 PM
STEVE HOSNER

Jim,

I got some pictures together but they are larger than the limits to post. If you would like to forward me your e-mail I will send them to you.

Steve

[email protected]
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
WildeOne

On sale now @ NP for $125 plus shipping. Can't beat that! I bought two to have a complete parts plane.

Sorry, they just (12/6/11) changed the price to $150 ... still a very good price.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:21 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Hey Capt,n, I see you are over here too, from the Giles 202 thread, lol. We must have similar likes in planes. Yes, I am guessing the DLE-20 would work in this pretty good. The DLE-30 would be too much, but would be an absolute rocket if fitted in. Aren't 120FS about equal to 26 size gassers, so I think the DLE-20 would work, but maybe not have unlimited vertical? Not sure on the last point. Hopefully someone with DLE-20 experience can chime it. Do you have the plane in possession? Loverly flying plane at 9.2 pounds, it floats in for landings, and can do the aerobatic stuff clean and at moderate speed compared to my Giles 202 which does it all at a higher speed. Jon
If I get the 69 inch size...I am going with a 20cc DLE engine. I hope I can get a good one. I sure had enough fixing airplanes this summer! Capt,n
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I don't know much about gas engines, but I know people were looking at 26cc or more for the original 69" plane. The new one is bigger and heavier, would think 20cc would be cutting it short on power.

Just a guess, but better to have too much than not enough.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

I don't know much about gas engines, but I know people were looking at 26cc or more for the original 69" plane. The new one is bigger and heavier, would think 20cc would be cutting it short on power.

Just a guess, but better to have too much than not enough.
No problem there, I have a DLE30cc engine that rus great. First I will need to see how studry the "new" 69 inch airplane is. Capt,n
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Hey Capt,n, I see you are over here too, from the Giles 202 thread, lol. We must have similar likes in planes. Yes, I am guessing the DLE-20 would work in this pretty good. The DLE-30 would be too much, but would be an absolute rocket if fitted in. Aren't 120FS about equal to 26 size gassers, so I think the DLE-20 would work, but maybe not have unlimited vertical? Not sure on the last point. Hopefully someone with DLE-20 experience can chime it. Do you have the plane in possession? Loverly flying plane at 9.2 pounds, it floats in for landings, and can do the aerobatic stuff clean and at moderate speed compared to my Giles 202 which does it all at a higher speed. Jon
maukaonyx, Thanks for the reply. You know I think there is about 4-5 people in this thread that was also in the original Giles 202 thread. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

On sale now @ NP for $125 plus shipping. Can't beat that! I bought two to have a complete parts plane.

Sorry, they just (12/6/11) changed the price to $150 ... still a very good price.
I just bought a Yak 54 also. Paid the $150 price. It looks to be a fairly good built airplane. I cannot build it right now because I am in Florida now staying in a small RV trailer. Its warm here ...Michigan has snow now and bad weather. How are the rest of you Yak 54 owners doing? Happy New Year Capt,n
Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 AM
WildeOne

... and NP is out of stock again.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:54 PM
captinjohn

It looks like a DLE 20cc engine will fly my Yak 54 easy. It is a lite airplane. Capt,n
Old 01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
WildeOne

Mine's going to get even lighter with CF landing gear replacing the heavy aluminum gear and CF wing tube. The gear is really heavy! HK has a really nice one piece CF gear for ~ $25
Old 01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
captinjohn

The last heavy aluminum gear I had ....I drilled and milled it toomake it much more lite. A side benifit was if a hard landing happened, it would give more rather than tearing the bottom out. That worked for me! Capt,

Old 01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
WildeOne

Instructions are an available download on NP website.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Jetdesign

Graphtechrc.com has a carbon set of gear for the 72" QQ yak that will fit this plane nicely. I got a pair for my birthday that I haven't installed yet, but it is beautiful. About $50, has a nice forward rake, thin and light, and can be trimmed to adjust overall height.

Someone from this thread pointed out a year or so ago, that full scale Yak's have propellers that scale much larger than what we are using. I'm moving up to an 18" prop to start, but will keep the option of swapping in my Neu motor (geared to 220kV) and running a 21" propeller. After seeing some similarly sized and capable planes fly with this kind of setup it has become quite appealing for a 3D model.

I've got my Hacker motor and ESC and batteries finally, started the electric conversion but will still be a few weeks before it's complete. Want to make some other improvements/adjustments (eliminating the slop in the wing roots for example) at the same time, but will post some pics/results when I'm done.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:00 PM
WildeOne

The full scale plane also has the prop way in front of the front lip on the cowl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66413.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1710125  
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2012, 06:10 PM
gofst2

It's been a while sense I have been around here to check on things going on with everyone. I hope you who celebrated the holidays had a Merry Christmas and fun New Year without any plane catastrophes after the celebrations. I finished my NP 72" Yak 54 originally with a JBA 1.40 nitro engine back in March 2010 and after a few flights, was not impressed with it's power. Thrust was only 14 lbs on a 11.75 lbs airframe all up which I had put on a heavy diet. I removed the JBA and went with the DLE 30cc even after the known engine die problems but figured I would try anyway. I to had the engine die problem but only on my first couple flights until 1) tuning the engine to peak, 2) mod the intake runner behind the carb to flow correctly, 3) remote the carb metering valve breather to inside the fuse, and lastly, retarding the engine timing from factory setting of 31 deg to 26 deg BTDC. I must say the DLE runs quite well and makes 18+ lbs of thrust which puts the old JBA to shame. If I would have gotten the 69" yak 54 the JBA would have been fine but now that I have converted to gas, I'll never go back to nitro in my planes. Here is a link to my 2nd flight (only video I have at this time) on my 72" Yak 54. We did not really go prepared to video anyone on that day however one of us had a Flip video recorder and thus the not so great video. This flight happened to finish dead stick before the above mentioned work on the DLE. The link is under my favorites on my YouTube Channel and starts at time stamp of 4:40 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwttI...ure=plpp_video

Wishing everyone here a prospers New Year.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 AM
captinjohn

I got my Yak 54 with the 69 inch wingspan. But I am now on vacation in Florida.....the Yak is back home in Michigan !

Best Regards, Capt,n

Old 04-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Jetdesign

Finally started my electric conversion. Right now, I'm installing a Scorpion 4035 and 10S lipo. I was SHOCKED to see that with an electric motor (Hacker A50) and 8S lipo and ESC, the plane was tail heavy! Somehow the e-system weighs less than the glow setup.

Upon seeing this, I decided to switch to the 10S setup - 4000mah 10S is lighter than 5000mah 8s, so I'll have room to play around.

Started installing the CF gear, too, which is looking nice. I ordered a CF tail gear from 3Dhobbyshop because this hobby is sickening and I just had to match the pretty main gear.

I also ordered some parts to build a custom mount for the Neu. That thing is a MONSTER and will probably tug this plane harder than the YS 1.10, especially on a light 4000mah setup (which still gives 8min of aerobatic flight).

I'm re-falling in love with this plane, can't wait to fly it!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Jetdesign

I lost mine in Muncie over this past summer and am in the market for a new plane this size. Can anyone post pics of the newer 69" Yaks from Nitroplanes? I believe these are a slightly different design than the 'tainted' airframe that this thread started with.