Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

I love 4-strokes too. I have a Thunder Tiger 75 in a GP U-Can-D0 3D 46, an OS 70FS in a Seagull Harrier 3D 46, and a Magnum 52FS in a Sig Rascal 40. All are very nice to start, throttle is so responsive, and can spin bigger props. But definitely not made for top end speed, good for low-end torque.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:49 PM
eagle09tbl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Magnum 52 four stroke on my Escapade. Love it set up that way, and the sound is awesome.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 AM
bradj11

I have to add this to this thread. People need to know the limitations of this plane. I was talking with a guy at my flying club this weekend that had an Escapade. I was sharing that I owned one as well. Well he told me that his plane wrecked this weekend... so I asked how... wondering if it was the dreadful elevator flutter that you constantly read about in this thread.
Well, it was.... but here is the stupid part.... it happened in a full throttle nose dive.... Wake up people, its a $99.00 plane thats light weight. If you want to crash this plane you will if you stress it beyond its limits. Its clear that you will need to reinforce the tail, and CA all hinges. What are people expecting to get for this price? Its a good plane but it will not handle too much added stress.

Now I know for sure that the OS ax46 is more than adequate for this little plane. This plane doesn't need much more than that. it flies great and does awesome areobatics. even the o.s. AX 55 is too much for it. Definitely one of my fav planes.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
chevypower1930

Brad- yeah I completely understand this, and I will never have my escapade in a full throttle dive! haha, first of all it's a sport plane, not a jet or a full aerobatic plane that's made to be stressed to the limits, and to add to that it's a beautiful sport plane, I'll be doing strong climb outs and just basic aerobatics, fly bys, touch and go's, etc..

My Escapade is completely ready except for joining the wings now! hooked up the throttle last night and installed the fuel tank... recovering from surgery so can't get out of the house to get my epoxy and the epoxy I have is a couple years old so it's getting trashed! just ordered some epoxy and a great planes charging jack and switch from tower hobbies today.... whenever I get that stuff the escapade will be complete and ready to go!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM
chevypower1930

Alright guys here's my set up... just got it set up with my transmitter, I'm going to use my tried and true Futaba FM system (Futaba 6EX Computer Radio) for the first few flights, I have my DX7 system but am going to test the AR500 in my brushless slow stick and fly it out until it's a dot for a true check....

Putting my AR 6200 in my Hangar 9 P51, which is running a 6V receiver battery... Also will be buying another 6V receiver batt for the Escapade once I put in the spektrum receiver (most which are having problems with the spektrum technology are running 4.8 and it drops below the low voltage for a second and they get a brown out, so I'm being safe and running 6V with all my spektrum receivers! I put the battery as far up as I could find between the fuel tank and the throttle servo tray, it's only a 800 mAh hydrimax 4.8v receiver battery so not much weight... if it's tail heavy I'll try moving it up between the fuselage and the fuel tank up further... Idk won't know until the epoxy gets in so I can get the wing together

Now in the pictures you can see my antenna is running way over the length of the fuselage... what do yall recommend to safely get this shortened up or to run it somewhere so it's not going to be dragging on the runway.

Another thing is I did a first on this plane while mounting the engine.. I usually use a bolt and nylon locking nut.... but with this I used the supplied and recommended screws to mount the engine to the mount, I guess they tap themselves into the mount, I drilled starting holes for the screws to tap into and used the supplied lock washers, it seems to be a very strong mount, anyone else use this method to mount engines? seems to work pretty good anyways here's the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70612.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1481516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73760.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1481517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59169.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1481518  
Old 08-09-2010, 01:40 PM
hsukaria

As far as antenna extending too long, my antenna is even longer since I mounted the Rx behind the servos. But not a problem for me because I fly from grass. I know that Hitec Rx's come with a bobbin and you can wind a certain amount of length around it to shorten the extension out of the fuse. I don't know what Futaba recommends. Definitely don't wrap it around those servos. As a matter of fact, another reason I moved the RX behind the servos was to make sure I didn't get interference from them since the recommended location for the RX caused the antenna to pass right between the rubber and elevator servos.

As far as engine mounting, I tried the screw methond once and ended up getting screwed (pun intended). Maybe I had drilled the holes too big? I have gone back to locknuts, lockwashers, and locktite. Triple redundant, the way I like it.

And I don't do power dives, that's silly.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 PM
chevypower1930

Yeah I was thinking about wrapping it around some kind of rod (of course not overlapping any part) and then threading threw the tube...

And yeah I'm gonna test out this screw thing, after first flight im going to check everything to make sure it's still tight... may drop some locktight in the holes and really really tighten em down, locknuts should keep them tight, Idk if it comes at all loose... going back to bolt and locking nut method
Old 08-09-2010, 01:50 PM
RED RUNNER

Chevypower,
Don't worry about the antenna. Just tape it to the bottom of the rudder & let it hang out the back. If U want more protection use the inside piece of a plastic push rod (Nyrod, Gold N Rod). Attach it to the bottom of the rudder & run your antenna wire thru it. Try not to step on the antenna. I use a strain relief (a cut off servo arm works for this). Put the cut off servo arm on the antenna by threading it thru 2 holes of the arm & locate it right in front of the antenna tube in the fuselage. Leave some slack between the Rx & strain relief. The antenna wire shouldn't be on the ground long enough to wear it out. I've been doing it for years & have never worn one out. I fly off of dirt. The airfields here in Az R asphalt or dirt.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
chevypower1930

Alright yeah I was going to do some kind of relief I'm going to use your method as I've seen it done before and it works so I'll do that...

and yes I think I'm going to use a piece of fuel tubing too and run the antenna through and then pin it to the rudder, thanks for the tip.. the servos will not cause any interference hsukaria, all my antennas have been close to servos, batteries, etc... never had a glitch with my FM systems.. NEVER so I'm not worried about that at all....

Thanks for the tips REDRUNNER! Can't wait to get this one in the air... always love a maiden flight!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:48 PM
TimBle

great news all round.My cowl for escapade just left tower enroute to me.Soon, complete she will be. All dressed up and ready to PARTY!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: TimBle

great news all round.My cowl for escapade just left tower enroute to me.Soon, complete she will be. All dressed up and ready to PARTY!!!!
We need some pics when you are done.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 PM
RED RUNNER

FUEL TANK The fuel tank supplied with the kit has some short comings. 1) You can't see inside. 2) If you tighten the screw too much the threads will strip (metal screw into a metal back plate) 3) Three lines means more chances for a leak. I recommend the Great Planes 10 oz Fuel Tank GPMQ4104. With this tank you will need to plug 2 of the holes in the firewall & drill a new hole 1 inch above the center hole for the pressure connection to the muffler. The real advantage is that you can see the fuel level when you are fueling your plane simply by removing the cockpit. You know if there is a leak & you don't have fuel running out of the pressure line (overflow). I drilled out the 2 holes with a 1/4 in drill & plugged them with a piece of 1/4" dowel. When drilling the new hole you may want to make it the same size as your fuel tubing which is less then 1/4". I have flown Escapade I with the stock tank & am much happier with the replacement tank in Escapade II.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
DeferredDefect

Hello!

I have been flying my Escapade with an ancient Thunder Tiger GP 40, and it was a nice flyer, but not quite fast enough (they never are...), so I put a new OS 46 LA in it. With this engine will I be susceptable to elevator flutter? I know with the GP 40, throttle management was not really required, with no risks.

Red Runner - as you pointed out, the fuel tank has shortcomings. I had to replace mine alltogether, as it wouldn't pressurise at all. The cheapo spinner was also replaced, and the wheels will be going soon. The foam is delaminating off of the hubs.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:59 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: GraemeEllis

Hello!

I have been flying my Escapade withan ancient Thunder Tiger GP 40, and it was a nice flyer, but not quite fast enough (they never are...), so I put a new OS 46 LA in it. With this engine will I be susceptable to elevator flutter? I know with the GP 40, throttle management was not really required, with no risks.
My wife has a OS 46FX with an 11X7 prop on her Escapade. Shes been flying it about a year without any flutter. She also has not pointed it at the ground and gone full throttle either. The LA will be fine.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM
TimBle

pointing any plane straight down and opening the throttle is just looking for trouble on any plane. Thats bad flying technique.The .46LA has similar power to the .36 Irvine someone mentioned in an earlier post. It will fly escapade just fine.I have a couple of mods in mind. One is new landing gear, the other is the cowl with the upright Bisson muffler.I have inserted some silicone sealant between the cheeks and engine mount. Buzzing is now reduced but still presebt. I think its main source is the canopy leading edge.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM
DeferredDefect

I think Great Planes needs to change the plastic material used on the canopy.

Even with careful use mine has chipped edged and will probably need to be replaced. It's much too britle.

Thought I'd throw that out there...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
TimBle

I agree, much to brittle. Mines cracked in three places already. Ordered a replacement today.I'd like to see this componen changed to be flush fitting and tougher. Aesthetics are great though. This plane has so much going for it, i hope great planes invests a little into it
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
hsukaria

On the original Escapade I had, the plastic around the corners of the canopy cracked. But my new Escapade has held up well. Maybe it was the earlier production ones had brittle plastic?

I imagine if you are using an electric motor, the canopy can be a little stiff to remove and replace often for the battery. I hardly ever have to do that with my glow engine setup.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:49 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

My Escapade is from the first batch. The canopy crack on the front corner edge and also farther back. I ordered a replacement canopy and it has been fine for the last year.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Irish_Santa

Hey guys....I need some help here,

I decided to fix the wing and aileron's and continue with the build....basically done with it

Did not notice this part until now....be blind nuts for the wing bolts seem to be really bad...one bolt goes in fine but will not tighten up and the other bolt goes in really tough...threads in the blind nut seem to be damaged or stripped.  Another problem I have is when put up on the gpCG machine and try to balance...plane needs between 9 and 14 ounces in the front depending on where I put the battery.

Question 1: What is the size thread on the wing bolt...so I can replace the blind nuts
Question 2: Is there an easy way to get the old blind nuts out with out damaging the wood (seems like the manf. poured epoxy around the nuts on the inside
Question 3: Anyone have any good thoughts on the needed wait issue....this is my first "Build" as the trainer I am using is an RTF and it is electric and balanced perfectly

thanks in advance guys,

Jerry
Old 08-15-2010, 02:38 PM
landeck

Question 1: The wing bolts are 1/4 - 20.

Question 2: You might use a tap on the existing blind nut that is tight. You can get on at any hardware store and they are not expensive. What do you mean the other bolt will not tighten up? IIRC, I had to shorten the wing nuts to get them to fit right.

Question 3: On mine I moved the battery up on top of the fuel tank to get it to balance. Others have put in the compartment under the fuel tank tray. Another option is to move the engine forward on the engine mount. In fact you have to do this if you use the optional cowling.

Bruce
Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Irish_Santa

thanks Bruce,

the one bolt that will not tighten up threads down to the surface of the wing but just keeps spinning in the hole never fully tightening and never gets snug

I have the battery now above the fuel tank and still needs about 9 1/2 oz

I was thinking about moving the engine forward (right now at recommended spot : 1/8" from cheek) but If I do this I might have to replace the throttle rod( I already cut it to size for current engine location....have about 1/4" to spare)

Setup is os 46 new
fm receiver with standard 4.6 battery with standard servos
epoxied tail
sullivan tail wheel setup with gp 1" wheel
hobbico alert speaker mounted on the side near the rudder servo
epoxy reinforced landing gear bay
master air screw 10X8?? for breakin

rest of the plane is standard all the way

Will try the tap idea for the blind nuts (praying it works)

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
RED RUNNER

Irish Santa
It is possible that the threads on the nylon wing mounting screw is stripped. Note that 1/2 oz in the rear of the plane will need 2 oz to balance the plane. You can put some spacers between the firewall & the motor mount. I used some 1/2 x 3/4 pine wood with four 1/4 oz lead weights on each spacer. If U go this route U will need longer bolts that R 6-32 to attach the motor mount to the firewall. The pic is the bottom view of the engine compartment.

Stan[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ge96867.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1484784  
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 AM
landeck

I used the standard tail wheel and did not epoxy the tail to the plane. Using what you did added weight to the tail and may have made the plane more tail heavy. About the only choice you have is to move the engine forward and add nose weight.

Bruce
Old 08-16-2010, 09:03 AM
bradj11

This aircraft is definitely my favorite. It flies great.... It does have some tail wag but man, it zipps around really nicely on the OS AX46.
One concern, I have a sullivan tail 5-6lbs. I had one installed, but I am not sure that its that much more sturdy than the stock one. When I load it the wheel is off centered, and I have but a Z bend into it put it still tracks all about the place on the runway.
I want a heavy duty one that will sit stable under the rudder.

Any recommendations.
I will post some pics of my plane this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.