Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

First thing I did was replace the big tank and installed a clear 6oz one. It is nice to be able to take off the hatch and watch the tank fill. And the little Irvine 36 doesnt need a 9oz tank. Helped keep the all up weight down and keeps the CG from changing as much.
I kept the original tank and with a ST 51 engine, I still never come close to running out of fuel after running for 10 minutes. So a smaller tank is a consideration also if someone is having issues with placing the battery for balance.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idid end up with the battery in front of the tank, it will lay down flat in front of the tank now perfectly. Still had to add some weight to the nose because the Irvine is so small and light but I used the opportunity to stiffen the cheeks by adding a bolt across them under the engine as my nose weight.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:34 PM
hsukaria

No problems with fuel draw having the fuel tank further away from carb?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:41 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is only about 2 more inches.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
TimBle

i dont believe the escapade needs a heavier engine for better balance. That will make it too nose heavy and trainer like in handling. It flies very well with a .46 2s.Landing can be slow or fast, depends on your skill, technique and weather. Mine lands just fine but my cg is back at 67mm from LE.The wheels pants will have to be carrying a lot of energy to penetrate the mono cote. I dropped my glow driver on the wing once, it bounced off. There was a dent but that was removed with a covering iron. as insurance apply a strip of helicoptr blad tape to the wing where the pants may impact. Sorted, now go fly.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
hsukaria

TimBle, good idea about the tape.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 PM
hairlesshippy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!!!

Awesome conversation going on around here..

I have been reading for a 3 strait nights and am only on page 23.

My escapade is arriving tomorrow. wish me luck..

The only thing Ihaven'treally seen, so far, was which receiver to buy?

Seems like an AR500 would work good.. even with 2 servos I would only use 5 channels, right?

or would you recommend an AR6200 for the dual receivers?

using a spektrum DX7 transmitter

I am kinda new to this stuff..

Thanks.
HH
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 AM
TimBle

Use a reciever that is compatible with your radio and can handle the number of servo's you are using.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Spaul302

I am running mine on an ar500 with no problems. I have run mine with a 6200 as well, but I replaced it with the 500.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM
hairlesshippy

Thanks SPAUL302 for the receiver advise.. iappreciateit.. I was thinking the ar500 as I have them available but wanted to make sure others agreed..

Much more informative than Timble'sreply which was kinda like me asking..

"what car should I get" and someone answers... one with 4 tires and can go forward and backward and if you have a child, get a car seat..

Thanks again.

HH
Old 11-02-2010, 01:33 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: hairlesshippy

Thanks SPAUL302 for the receiver advise.. i appreciate it.. I was thinking the ar500 as I have them available but wanted to make sure others agreed..

Much more informative than Timble's reply which was kinda like me asking..

''what car should I get'' and someone answers... one with 4 tires and can go forward and backward and if you have a child, get a car seat..

Thanks again.

HH
I think what TimBle was saying was: "Whatever floats your boat, or flies your plane". For us guys who don't use Sprektrum radios, we are clueless what the model numbers you mentiioned mean. And some of us have serious reservations about Spektrum radios based on what we have heard and read in some of these forums.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:10 PM
tms96460

I use the Dx7 with the 7000 series recievers (I swap them with different planes) with no problems what so ever. I think the 500 reciever is usually installed in park fliers which I have also with zero problems.

Tim

Suisun, CA
Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 PM
frivera12

How about some member Escapade photos????
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

There 2 pictures of my wifes Escapade in my Gallery.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: hairlesshippy

Thanks SPAUL302 for the receiver advise.. iappreciateit.. I was thinking the ar500 as I have them available but wanted to make sure others agreed..

Much more informative than Timble'sreply which was kinda like me asking..

"what car should I get" and someone answers... one with 4 tires and can go forward and backward and if you have a child, get a car seat..

Thanks again.

HH

Well Ikinda viewed your question as :" I'm buying a car, what kind of drivers license should I get?"

Without knowing what kind of driving you intend to do, its a difficult question to answer no? the answers could be
normal
commercial
disabled
manual (Stick shift to you folk across the pond)
automatic
etc

Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
chetterb

Just an FYI on the AR500. I have a few of them, mostly on electric planes where the BEC regulates a steady voltage to the receiver even when shutting down the motor due to the low end of the lipo and zero problems. I had an incident with my Escapade with an OS 46AX (absolutely loved that plane) where I think the voltage fell off to the AR500 and it flew away unresponsive to anything I tried.
Normally that wouldn't be a problem, you'd just go look for the wreckage and hope that there's enough surviving or at least get the goodies back. My plane flew into the river or island that is near our field. So long li'l buddy!!
I've heard a few of these type issues with the AR500 even though it's a totally full range receiver. The 6200 doesn't seem to be as sensitive plus it has the satelite receiver for redundancy. For the $20 more, it might be worth it to go with that. Also a higher mAh battery or 6 volt set up certainly helps. As far as the Escapade, it's an absolute blast and lands like a baby. Easy handling plane for anyone beyond trainer. I have a new one to start the fun all over again.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:52 AM
TimBle

All I know about the AR500 is that it is intended for use in small electrics so maybe it is not as robust as a proper  full range reciever designed for liquid fuel power and vibration?
Just throwing that out there.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Spaul302

The AR500 is classified as a full range receiver. The caveat on them is that the antennas must be installed correctly, one horizontal and one vertical to attain the best signal strength.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM
billmay

I haven't seen anyone else mention this so am I the only one having a problem with the main wheel axles and wheel collars. It seems like the axles are too short. The outer wheel collar set screw just barely hits the axle. I can't see how these are going to stay on the axles. Also the heads on the collar set screws are wider than the collars themselves so they end up rubbing on the wheels and while the wheels turn they don't turn freely.

Anyone else encounter this??

Bill
Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: billmay

I haven't seen anyone else mention this so am I the only one having a problem with the main wheel axles and wheel collars. It seems like the axles are too short. The outer wheel collar set screw just barely hits the axle. I can't see how these are going to stay on the axles. Also the heads on the collar set screws are wider than the collars themselves so they end up rubbing on the wheels and while the wheels turn they don't turn freely.

Anyone else encounter this??

Bill
Did you put a collar on the inside and outside? If so, you don't need one on the inside of the axle. A fellow at our field did that and he just took off the inside collar and put a small washer there and then he had plenty of room.He adjusted the outside collar until the wheel just turned freely and he was good to go. I am just guessing this is what you have and throwing in 2 cents in the pile
Old 11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
tms96460

Yep, mine has a washer in the inside also.

Tim
Suisun, CA
Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM
billmay

Thanks to both of you for your responses on the wheel collar issue. Good to know that I'm not completely nuts (although I actually think I am ). Here's how I resolved it for now. I was not planning on putting on the wheel pants initially so I did take off the inner collar. I fly electrics so I have several sets of the plastic prop shaft adapters that come with APC electric props. One of the sizes included with them fit the axle pretty nicely and was about the right width to allow the outer collar to fit so the axle end was flush with the outside of the collar or even stuck out very slightly. I tried fitting one of the pants on with this arrangement and it looks like it may very well fit if I decide to put them on later. If the wheel should rub slightly it looks like it might be possible to just sand/trim the pant opening a little to handle it. Anyway, the landing gear are now on and the wheels seem to turn smoothly now.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 PM
tms96460

Quite a few times I have had to rely on extra parts from other builds.  Sounds like your almost done so please lets know how she maidens.

Tim
Old 11-05-2010, 07:07 PM
billmay

ORIGINAL: tms96460

Quite a few times I have had to rely on extra parts from other builds. Sounds like your almost done so please lets know how she maidens.

Tim
I'll be away next week so it will be a couple of weeks.The weather here inPA is getting more iffy now as well.Since this is my first balsa plane one of our experienced club pilots said he'd come out with me.I'll let him take it up first just to be sure it flies OK and then I'll have to see if I can work up enough nerve. At least it's only a 100 buck plane!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: billmay

ORIGINAL: tms96460

Quite a few times I have had to rely on extra parts from other builds. Sounds like your almost done so please lets know how she maidens.

Tim
I'll be away next week so it will be a couple of weeks. The weather here in PA is getting more iffy now as well. Since this is my first balsa plane one of our experienced club pilots said he'd come out with me. I'll let him take it up first just to be sure it flies OK and then I'll have to see if I can work up enough nerve. [img][/img] At least it's only a 100 buck plane!

To me, whether it is 100 bucks or 500 it is still exciting and can be a nervous time when you first maiden a plane. At least for me it can be. It has gotten easier for me to maiden planes now, but sometimes I struggle with certain planes and at times I won't maiden one if I am getting those internal "checks" to not to do it. I have seen guys that should have not maidened their planes and the result ended very badly [X(]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.