Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 AM
billmay
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Escapade .40 ARF

ORIGINAL: irdabrit

Good point. I think I'm just going to cut them off. Is there really a reason to have them on there?
Other than cosmetics, can't see why. If you buy the optional cowl, the first thing you do is cut the cheeks off anyway.

Bill

Old 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM
oldtyme

Just noticed that Tower has increased the price of the Escapade to $129.99 now.

I bought my original one for $98 with a coupon that brought it down to around $80, and the second one was $100.

I think this will be my last one. I would sell this one now but I've already glued the wings. Only thing left to do is put in the battery, route the wiring and fly on Sunday.

In my opinion this was a steal at $98 but for the extra money I think there are better planes out there. I had quality control issues with both kits I bought but Tower Hobbies are awesome and came through both times for me.

On the other hand I have some spares if anyone needs them; two sets of wheel pants I can't use because my bumpy field would rip them off, and a spare set of landing gear.
I just went to the Tower website and the Escapade is listed at $99.99 and in stock.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:37 PM
irdabrit

Yup - looks like they changed their minds about the price increase.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:36 AM
billmay

Yup - looks like they changed their minds about the price increase.
Their emails indicate that is a September month end sale price.They already lost my recent Escapade purchase. Got it for $98.40 including FedEx Home Shipping from HobbyWarehouse inKansasCity,MO..I'll continue to buy parts form Tower but my future kit purchases will go to HobbyWarehouse(they even ship faster thanTower and give 10% off of past purchases on future purchases). Tired of Towers up and down pricing policies.

Bill

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM
irdabrit

I've heard bad things about that place.
So I've decided to sell my Escapade. I'm just not happy with Glow airframes and I cannot seem to get my confidence back. I was offered a Twist 40 over the weekend but I'll pass on that too. My comfort zone seems to be with electric and I'm not sure why.
So, if anyone wants a maidened-only Escapade with a 55AX on it, Futaba servos and is close to Eau Claire, WI 54701 - let me know.

Yes I know I could convert it to electric, but that's my last-ditch effort - the electrics to go in this would be a heap of money and I'd rather sell it as-is.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM
billmay

I've heard bad things about that place.
If you're referring to HobbyWarehouse be sure it's the one in Kansas City,MO.There are apparently several online vendors with similar sounding names. If you've had a bad experience with this one thenI'd certainly like to hear about it.

Bill

Old 10-21-2011, 04:22 AM
cp2smith

I have my new Escapade fully assembled and tested on the ground. Very impressed with the build quality. I've done all the forementioned tweaks including epoxying the tail section and CA'ing the elevator.

My question involves the engine. I installed my Webra 6.5 (40) into the Escapade, and I'm wondering how it will perform. The engine has almost no use (less than a few tanks run through it). It was previously installed in my Eagle trainer, and I've heard it's peppy for a 40.

I'm still trying to balance the plane. Even after moving the battery forward above the tank, it seems nose heavy, so I may have to move the engine further forward which isn't a problem.

Any tips are appreciated!

Colin Smith
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 AM
irdabrit

I used to run with my battery strapped to the tank too and my 55AX as far forward as it would go. Seemed to balance out nicely there.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:36 AM
SRQFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

Hi all,

I've read this ENTIRE thread (whew!). Yesterday was the first flights for my Escapade in a cool (for Florida), stiff crosswind. She flies just beautifully. Here's some background:

Weight: 5-0

Balance: 71mm

Modifications: springs on glued canopy tubes, battery under tank floor at front, ball links on R and E, 30 min. epoxy with West colloidal silica at all forward joints, finishing resin at firewall and tank area, NO epoxy on the tail or joining the wings

Radio: Airtronics 10 SDG. 2.4 gHz.

Power: OS 40 FP with RJL diesel head, APC 11-8, Higley heavy hub (no spinner). Exhaust tube keeps the gook off at least the front of the plane

I've been flying for 55 years and into R/C for the last 45. I specifically bought the Escapade for the little diesel, as the Tiger 2 it was on was too heavy. Now I think I may also use the Escapade to get some air time on a pair of Magnum .61 4/s that will eventually power a Wing Mfg. P-38.

Here's some pictures - sorry but I messed up some of the decals!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83355.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	1677118   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44530.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1677119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc77743.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	1677120  
Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 AM
irdabrit

I love the decals!

I sold my Escapade this week to my flying buddy. He's ready to graduate from his high wing trainers and has had terrible luck with cheapo chinese ARF kits, so I sold him my Escapade airframe for super cheap. Hope he enjoys it.

In the meantime I've bought a Raptor 22 PTS trainer, but for some reason I'm super nervous flying glow planes lately so I've been sticking to my electrics. I think it's just a question of crash resistance; if I crash a foamy it's so simple to fix. I love building them, and I love flying them but I hate crashing. lol
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 AM
SRQFlyer

Irdabrit,

I just can't see being a flying advertisement, so we have some fun!

Your buddy should do fine. As you know, this is an easy-flying plane. Moderate power is best for a relative newbie.

Regards,

Jim
Old 10-21-2011, 06:03 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you like the 40 FP with the diesel? How does it do on the Escapade?

"Escaped" ... like it!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:20 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

How do you like the 40 FP with the diesel? How does it do on the Escapade?

''Escaped'' ... like it!
FATBUT? MENTAL? You were having fun with that.

Also, what size prop?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:21 AM
SRQFlyer

I guess I'm the club clown when it comes to decals and names for planes.

The prop is an APC 11-8. It helps with the noseweight vs. a wood prop. I think I'll go to an APC 11-7 to get the RPMs up a bit. The Escapade is a "relaxed" flier with the diesel FP40. Learning to operate a diesel has been a bit of a challenge, but I like different stuff. It has enough power for most standard maneuvers, no 3D and only limited vertical, but I like to take it easy once in a while. After I get tired of cleaning up the goo, I'll replace the diesel with my GMS .47 (hee-hee).

Jim
Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: SRQFlyer

I guess I'm the club clown when it comes to decals and names for planes.

The prop is an APC 11-8. It helps with the noseweight vs. a wood prop. I think I'll go to an APC 11-7 to get the RPMs up a bit. The Escapade is a ''relaxed'' flier with the diesel FP40. Learning to operate a diesel has been a bit of a challenge, but I like different stuff. It has enough power for most standard maneuvers, no 3D and only limited vertical, but I like to take it easy once in a while. After I get tired of cleaning up the goo, I'll replace the diesel with my GMS .47 (hee-hee).

Jim
I also use 11x7 prop on a SuperTigre 51 glow. It is fast, but I still can't get unlimited vertical with that either.

Do you use Davis Diesel fuel, or mix your own?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 AM
hsukaria

SRQFlyer, I've seen pictures with diesels in planes where they had the extension tube going down the main landing gear up to one of the wheels. That might help keep the exhaust goo off your plane.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a 13x6 on my PAW 40 right now, but that's because it's on a scale biplane and I don't want speed, plus it sounds good on that prop at 7300 rpm flat out. But if I wanted speed or vertical I'd go with 11x7 or 12x5. I would even try 11x6 or 12x4 on your engine.

I like mine a lot, but the mess definitely gets old.

You'd fit right in with a guy in our club who didn't like his CAP 21 ARF. The label on the side somehow acquired an 'R' that looked like it was made that way.

Jim
Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 AM
hsukaria

A guy in our club has an underpowered U-CAN-DO, so he changed the decals to: NO-CAN-DO.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 AM
SRQFlyer

hsukaria,
I have some Davis Diesel that I bought from the local hobby store before he closed.
The FP will turn an 11-6 in the mid 10K range, but then it uses more fuel. I flew 3 flights on a six ounce tank on Thursday.
I think I will run the tube down by the gear pant, but I have to bend the brass tube more, or maybe cut it and join it with some flex in order to make the angle work.
I also have a PAW .29 plain bearing NIB that is destined for an old-timer sometime soon. Also have a DD head for a ST .90. I am breaking the ST in on glow and then have to find a prop big enough for when it is a diesel!
One of the other "clowns" made his Stinger into a "G-STRING". People are clever! I have some others I might share soon in a separate thread - I bet we could get lots of funny stuff.
Jim
Old 10-22-2011, 04:56 AM
SRQFlyer

buzzard bait,
I had an old CAP 21 that was ARC - Modeltech, I think. If I had it now, it would be re-labelled SNAP 21, as that is how it died!
Jim
Old 10-22-2011, 04:58 AM
garyr1

Just a comment on Escapade 40 and 60 size ARFS:
Many Escapade 40's around the area here. Great sport flyer. Good pricing.
FAST with OS46's. That's plenty! OS55 would drop right in if you are experienced...would be unlimited vertical.
Flight characteristics seem good, but it's a small size and bumps around some in the wind.
The new 60 size Escapade is a MUCH larger airframe, and it is a totally different feel.
My buddy put one up this year with a big OS95 2-stroke on it and it's a true delight.
The 60 size flies VERY smoothly and very stable...point and shoot, like an IMAC bird.
I was quite surprised by it's great handling when I tried it out. Much easier to fly than the 40 size, which I find to be a bit nervous...
\
Good luck with your project.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 AM
frivera12

Tomorrow is the maiden of my second Escapade. This time it will be powered by a 55AX. Let's see if this is going to be a little rocket...........
Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 AM
landeck

I have both the 40 and 60 size Escapades and I like them both but they do fly differently. The Escapade 40 has a Magnum XLS 46 and I have about 100 flights on it over three flying seasons. The Escapade 60 has a Fox 74 Eagle IV and I have about 15 flights on it in the current flying season. The 40 seems quicker, has a higher roll rate, and seems more agile than the 60. The 60 is smoother and more graceful than the 40. Both go where you point them and can do all non-3D maneuvers in the book. The 60 proportionally has a longer tail moment than the 40 which could explain the differences in flying characteristics.

A friend bought a Escapade 60 after watching mine fly. He put an OS 90 FX in it and it flies almost identically to mine. He loves that plane.

I also have a GP Revolver 70 with a Magnum XL 91 four stroke in it. It flies even smoother and the rolls are more axial than the Escapade 60. But the Escapade 60 is quicker and more agile than the Revolver 70.

I love all three plane and can not pick a favorite...well maybe I would pick the Escapade 40.

Bruce
Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: landeck

I have both the 40 and 60 size Escapades and I like them both but they do fly differently. The Escapade 40 has a Magnum XLS 46 and I have about 100 flights on it over three flying seasons. The Escapade 60 has a Fox 74 Eagle IV and I have about 15 flights on it in the current flying season. The 40 seems quicker, has a higher roll rate, and seems more agile than the 60. The 60 is smoother and more graceful than the 40. Both go where you point them and can do all non-3D maneuvers in the book. The 60 proportionally has a longer tail moment than the 40 which could explain the differences in flying characteristics.

A friend bought a Escapade 60 after watching mine fly. He put an OS 90 FX in it and it flies almost identically to mine. He loves that plane.

I also have a GP Revolver 70 with a Magnum XL 91 four stroke in it. It flies even smoother and the rolls are more axial than the Escapade 60. But the Escapade 60 is quicker and more agile than the Revolver 70.

I love all three plane and can not pick a favorite...well maybe I would pick the Escapade 40.

Bruce
Hi Landeck, are you saying that the Fox 74 is similar to the OS 90 FX? Wow, I'm looking forward to using my Fox 74 next season.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:46 AM
landeck

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

Hi Landeck, are you saying that the Fox 74 is similar to the OS 90 FX? Wow, I'm looking forward to using my Fox 74 next season.
No. What I am saying is that watching both Escapade 61s flying, one with the Fox 74 Eagle IV and the other with an OS 91 FX it is hard to tell which is flying better. Both engines power the plane very well. I have a APC 12x7 prop on the Fox turning 12,000 rpm and my friend has a APC 14x6 turning 10,500 rpm. Further, I have the full cowling and am a few ounces lighter while his has just the side cheeks. And finally, the Fox is new and just broken in while the OS is second hand. Given this, both planes appear to have similar good flight characteristics.

Bruce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.