Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF versus Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF versus Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:46 PM
VictoryRoll
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF versus Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF

I just purchased a Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF... after doing so, I posted a few questions on the build and some people have mentioned the Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF as an alternative.

Before I start the GP Big Stik 40 build, can anyone tell me that I should not build it, return it and buy the Hanger 9 version instead.

Two things to note:

1. The Hanger 9 Ultra Stik has flaps built into build (should you wish and I do wish). I love flaps and wonder if not having the quad-flap ability that is described in the Hanger 9 ad space for the Ultra 9, will hamper future use and excitement of this plane?

2. The Hanger 9 Ultra is currently on back-order, should I just make flaps on my GP Big Stik and forget the Untra Stik?

Any comments on quality of package/plane? Build speed/quality... etc. etc.?

Note: I will be powering either of these two planes with an OS .55AX

Thanks for your suggestions and help.

Don

Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Big Stik 40 ARF versus Hanger 9 Ultra Stik 40 ARF

Are the flaps worth an extra 80 bucks?

I haven't built the Big Stik 40, but I HAVE built the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=566]Giant Big Stick[/link] and it was excellent.

The 55 will be great for either of them. If it were me, I'd keep what you have. You can always add flaps later if you really want them.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had both. I sold the Ultra Stick 40 ARF. Not my style. If you want a 3D model, buy a 3D model. The Ultra Stick 40 isn't it.

I'm just now getting ready to assemble the Big Stik 40. A Stik should look like a Stik. 8>)

Ed Cregger
Old 10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had all these and also the flaps on the Ultra Stick

After the excitement of flaps was over, I hardly use them. Flaps are only effective for take off and landing. I sometimes do a lot of landings but the flaps don't do that much for this type plane. I feel that flying characteristics up in the air are more important.

The flaps are mainly a sales gimmick.

Keep and enjoy what you have
Old 10-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Tcat1000
My Feedback: (34)

If you already have the Stik..................keep it! They are both great planes. I currently fly both & while they are somewhat different birds, I can't really say one is better than the other. I have a OS 50 SX 2 stroke on my Big Stik 40 & it lands as slow as anything at our field. I think the covering job is better on the Ultra Stick, but the iron will fix that. Wait for the Ultra Stick for your next plane as long as you already have the Big Stick............

Tcat
Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 PM
chuck993

Once again everyone has opinions. I've had the Hangar 9 Ultra-Stick 60 for about 2 years and I take it to the field almost every time I go, no other plane will get you in the air as often as that plane when there are strong or strong crosswinds...also the Ultra Stick is a tail dragger, which means it handles extremely well on the ground and I noticed the Big Stick has tricycle gear configurations, which makes no sense if you are trying to taxi on a very windy day, but the tail wheel setup is fine. A friend of mine bought a Big Stick and made it a tail dragger and he really loves it.
I have the flaps installed and I still use them, I use them for almost VTOL take offs and for kite hovering in the wind, which is a lot of fun. I also use the flaps for landings and low approaches where you try to fly as close to the runway as possible on the low approach without touching, working on the edge of the stall going down the runway...it's a blast...
Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not against the Ultra Stick series - really. I've had just about all of them. I do like the Big Stik 40 better because it is a larger model, IIRC. The Ultra Sticks are a lot of fun to fly if you don't have access to a real 3D model. They are terrific for club fun flies, relaxed style. I do like the color scheme better on one and then the other. Depends on the day I'm thinking about it. The quality of both models is excellent.

Ed Cregger
Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
VictoryRoll

Great inputs ...all of them... thank you so much... very helpful, and for the record, I am staying with my GP Big Stik and probably going to make it a taildragger.

I'll try to keep you all posted on how the build goes, and I'll be sure to write should I need help in that area, which I probably will... esp. converting to the taildragger...

Again, thank you very much for your help and input.

Thanks,

Don
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: chuck993

I noticed the Big Stick has tricycle gear configurations, which makes no sense if you are trying to taxi on a very windy day, but the tail wheel setup is fine. A friend of mine bought a Big Stick and made it a tail dragger and he really loves it.
Actually that's when my Big Sticks comes out to play!

When the wind is high.

I've never had problems taxiing the plane around in relatively high winds. The nose stearing does fine.

ORIGINAL: chuck993

I have the flaps installed and I still use them, I use them for almost VTOL take offs and for kite hovering in the wind, which is a lot of fun. I also use the flaps for landings and low approaches where you try to fly as close to the runway as possible on the low approach without touching, working on the edge of the stall going down the runway...it's a blast...
I merely added flaperon mixing instead when I feel compelled to use them on the Big Stick.

Normally I use them along with flap to elevator mixing for stunts, but that's about it.

The Big Stick already comes in so sloowly that with any headwind it harriers in.

In higher winds I idle the engine and it spends most of it's time flying w/o power while picking up velocity from the winds, much like a stunt glider.

Lotsa fun... and you can keep it up for VERY long periods of time.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:24 PM
VictoryRoll

If at all possible, I would love you guys to speak a bit more on flaperons, crowing, flap-to-elevator mixing/programming.... I have the Futaba 10C so plenty of ability in this area, but lack of knowledge on owner is main issue...lol...

Whatever you can tell me, in terms of what the setup would be, and why/ what does that provide you/plane would be great... although I am new at this, I love this hobby and want to progress as my abilities/knowledge allows. I started back in my 20's, and built a CG Falcon 56, with a OS Max .40 engine, but could never afford a radio, then marriage, kids, etc... now at 53 yrs. old, I have the time and a tad more money (emphasis on tad...lol) so whatever you have to offer, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help..

Don
Old 10-24-2008, 03:57 PM
opjose

Check your TX's manual.

Normally there is a section which talks about setting up both differential aileron mixing and/or flaperons.

In both cases, the right aileron is plugged into the AIL channel, and the left aileron is plugged into another channel.

In some cases the actual channel used for the left aileron is important for the transmitter.

Once you tell the TX that you are using a "flaperon" wing type, your flap switch or knob will control downward movement of BOTH ailerons in unison.

Typically the extremes of aileron movement are toned down a bit to permit you to have some travel left over in case the flaps are fully extended.

You can then in turn mix elevator into the flaps, so that when you pull the nose UP, the flaps go down increasing the pitch rate of the plane...

This can help with stunts.

You can also invert the elevator to flap mixing so that pulling the nose UP causes a LOSS of lift.

This can be quite useful for "elevator" stunts.