Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Obsession

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Obsession

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:28 PM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Obsession

Getting ready to roll an Obsession out of the hangar for the 1st time. I started this kit 2 years ago and now just getting around to finishing it. All that is left to do is weigh and balance it. I am using an OS 120/pumped with a 15/8 prop. It feels heavy the only thing I added is an onboard glow system and went with the two servo rudder set up. I need to find a scale that will give an accurate weight. I have read some good and bad things about this airplane. Any tips I might need to know before that 1st flight? How are some different ways to weigh and balance an airplane that size?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Goldberg Obsession

Today I just maidened mine I bought used... it had 1 flight on it and looked it... it was a VERY clean and new plane. I put an OS 1.60 FX with a Pitt's muffler... and a sonictronic onboard glow.
I balanced it per the Manual ( which I downloaded from Goldberg ) and set all the throws per the manual... and all I needed to do is to put a click of down trim on the elevator and it flew like a dream ! I am going to set the aileron low rates a tad higher... other than that... the stock setup flies it fine.
The 1.60 I have on it is brand new and had about a tank ran through it. As far as a 1.20 on it... I think it would be on the edge for power.... it would fly.... but not have the power to do basic aerobatics... just fly..... that's my opinion on that after flying it today. You will love the way it flies for sure there !
Old 11-28-2008, 08:40 PM
sierracharlie

Tell me in detail how you balanced it I cannot get mine to balance.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:43 PM
plasticjoe
My Feedback: (22)

All I did was measure from the leading edge back to 9 1/2" on both sides and made a mark on the top of the wing right at the fuse. Then I had mounted a couple dowels on the workbench with padded tops.... flipped the plane over and used those marks to balance the plane on. I also balanced it laterally ... be sure to check that... I ended up having to put 3/4 ounce in the servo bay of the right wing. When I took it off, all I needed was 2 clicks of down for level flight. It really is a very nice plane to fly ! It figures that once I get one and get it maidened the weather here drops off COLD.... Let me know how it balances... Mine weighed out to about 13 pounds... not sure if that's heavy or not.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:52 PM
sierracharlie

I just got mine to balance I used 9 3/8 from leading edge so I should be close. 13 lbs is about right, target is 12.5 to 13 I have not been able to weight mine yet. Watch this post for an update I live in the mid atlantic area and should have a few nice days left but for now its been real cold and windy.