Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

E-Flight DHC-2 Beaver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

E-Flight DHC-2 Beaver

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Sparky71
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flight DHC-2 Beaver

Just finished mine, how do you like yours? Would you say it is easy to fly?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Prairie Mike

Default RE: E-Flight DHC-2 Beaver

I had one this summer. It actually flew well. Handled flaps without any problems. What battery are you using? What motor?
I used the large (for float flying) motor with a 3s lipo 2200mah.
It didn't handle a midair with a corsair very well. I flew the largest piece as deep into the crash as possible, like Hoover said to do.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Sparky71

Thanks for the reply Mike, I put the power in mine that they recomended for floats in case I want to add them later, 32 Outrunner motor with 4c 3300mah 14.8v Li-Po battery. Sorry about your collision, hope you can salvage it OK.
My maiden flight ended in a rough landing but it was my own fault, getting old and forgetful, thought I had the control throws set up by the book but not so, it took off like a bat out of H.. and I had not even centered the servos and ran out of trim! It was a real hand full but I got it back down one piece, more or less. I have it repaired and can't wait to try it again.
Glad to hear it flys nice if you treat it right.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Prairie Mike

Sparky,
I'm gonna try a 4s lipo on my next Beaver. Just waiting for it to come in. The LHS has ordered 2 of 'em. One is mine.
If you have a 3s Lipo, try it. It worked really well and I didn't have any problems with it. I tracked straight on takeoff and didn't require much trim.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Sparky71

Mine is very squirly, a real handful, I just touch the ailerons and it goes knife edge, I backed off the aileron throw to about 1/2 what the book calls for and it is still way too much. I have the aileron and rudder controls coupled for coordinated turns and when I got back from the field today I reduced them even more and will try again tomarrow.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Prairie Mike

Sparky,
My Beaver was a handfull on the first taxi test. I tweeked the landing gear slightly to add toe-in. Ya gotta be concerned about spiltting the gear fairing though. I took the axles off and gave the gear a slight twist, not enough to be able to see iton th ergear legs. On my next Beaver, I'm gonna slot the inner gear screw hole slightly so I can add the toe-in.
Not sure why yours is so sensitive on aileron. Mine was just fine with the book settings and 30% expo, using a Spektum DX-7.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Sparky71

OK Mike, no problem with taxi our field is grass, maybe the exponential slowed yours down a little, I do not have it in mine, I know the up aileron is not as effective as the lower one, whenever I use exponential I increase the slows. It was rainy here this morning so I did not get to try it with the throws I decreased again, maybe tomorrow, I have them down to about 1/4" each way and a little apprehensive about having enough for turns but I have rudder coupled in and can always switch in high throw if I need to.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:43 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be a different Beaver?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66925.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1067940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35026.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	1067941  
Old 11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Prairie Mike

Hey Capt'n,
Sure looks like my beaver, only with floats. How does it handle with floats?
What battery are you using?
Man I wish Horizon would hurry up and ship. Been waiting too long for my replacement. My flying buddy and his Corsair tore right through my wing, and the crash site was pavemnet. So, not much was left of my airplane. Now he wants a Canadian flag "Kill sticker".
It is a great looking airplane, both on the ground (or water) and in the air.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was not my beaver, I was at a small float fly-in. The Beaver did fly well. It was the maiden flight I got to see. To me it looked like a very easy airplane to fly. Sure is a pretty plane up close. I even took video of the flight. I think I will watch the whole video again...it was a nice fly-in on a small lake. Regards Capt,n
Old 11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
walkermsg

I have had a few problems with the beaver, it flys with a 12X7 prop with the 32 motor and 3S 4270 battery. I have had lots of neat flights setting flaps to full with an 6-8mph headwind it almost stops in mid air and lands gently. I must have damaged the elevator putting it in the truck. I did a pre-flight and all looked OK. Once in the air after a few minutes it began to spin, I thought one of the flaps had come loose and retracted them, it still went in lawn dart style, I managed to cut the prop and land such as I could in a corkscrew. It broke the motor mount free and bent the wheel struts which can be straightened by removing the and using a vise. The elevator wire had broken through the plastic skin with the neat ribbed surface. I'll have it flying in a day or two. Got over 40 flights on it so I can't complain too much. Check the elevator before take off, pretty flimsy design. One sie up and the other level.
Hope this prevents anyone from having the same problem.
Jay