Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

*CMP Giles 202 65"*

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

*CMP Giles 202 65"*

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *CMP Giles 202 65"*

Anyone ever fly this plane? For $99.00 it looks like a good plane for a 120 4 stroke. I like the long fuse, style, and flight charactoristics of the 202 since I had the green and white 140 size with a 26cc gasser. The 140 size was a very nice flying plane. Does the smaller one fly a good as the bigger one?

http://www.nitroplanes.com/gi202si9065.html
Old 11-05-2008, 12:43 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: *CMP Giles 202 65"*

I have the smaller .50 Version 2 ( Blue Plane ) and I've flown the larger "Alien" one as well.

Both are wonderful flyers, with great tracking.

They are a bargain and a half for the price.

The only caveat I've found is that with the engine downthrust set as the plane ships, the plane tends to pull the nose down a bit as you run the throttle up quickly in flight, when the plane is at a very low airspeed.

I haven't felt the need to add more upthrust to compensate though, as it only occurs when the plane is going from just above stall to full speed.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 PM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

It needs tail re-design, four degrees dihedral to maintain knife-edge, reduction of engine down-thrust to one degree, addition of vertical grain shear webs, belly pan kept as a separate piece, etc., etc. and it will be a great flying plane.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77439.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1067586  
Old 11-08-2008, 12:39 AM
nitro wing
My Feedback: (1)

Dihedral?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:44 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: doctorgo

It needs tail re-design, four degrees dihedral to maintain knife-edge, reduction of engine down-thrust to one degree, addition of vertical grain shear webs, belly pan kept as a separate piece, etc., etc. and it will be a great flying plane.

I haven't had knife edge problems, did yours pull to the canopy requiring so much dihedral? Mine doesn't.

Re: Belly pan, I have no problem with the way it is, less to misplace, loose or break.

Re: down thrust, yup, but easy to fix with a bit of adjustment of the engine mount ( I don't like washers under the mount... ).

Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Zippi

doctorgo,

Are you saying that the firewall has to much down thrust built in? I don't think I've ever seen that before. I've seen no thrust built in. Not sure where your going with the four degrees dihedral in the tail. Some of our old Pattern planes in the 80's use to use anhedral in the rear stab.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
doctorgo
My Feedback: (5)

Engine down thrust:
The built-in down-thrust angle was measured at four degrees. That's three degrees too much. I added hardwood shims under the engine mount.

Dihedral:
There's no dihedral at the horizontal stabilizer.
The aluminum wing tube was replaced with an angled dowel to achieve a total dihedral of 4.25 degrees. This eliminated the roll coupling. With a re-designed stab, there is no pitch coupling.
The stab and elevator are now 25% of the wing area with elevator counterbalance eliminated. This reduces the tendency to snap-roll during a tight loop.
The fin and rudder are made to scale.
Wing tips were added to the main wing to reduce the tendency to tip stall. However, it will still tip stall when landing in a cross-wind.

Wingspan: 69"
LOA: 64.81"
Weight" 9 lbs- 3 oz.
Engine: Magnum 1.08 XL
Muffler: Bisson Pitts type
Glow Plug: K & B 1L
Prop: 15 x 8 APC
Fuel: Wildcat 5%

Engine is new, running at 8700 rpm. I expect 9000 when fully broken-in.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: opjose

I have the smaller .50 Version 2 ( Blue Plane ) and I've flown the larger "Alien" one as well.

Both are wonderful flyers, with great tracking.

They are a bargain and a half for the price.

The only caveat I've found is that with the engine downthrust set as the plane ships, the plane tends to pull the nose down a bit as you run the throttle up quickly in flight, when the plane is at a very low airspeed.

I haven't felt the need to add more upthrust to compensate though, as it only occurs when the plane is going from just above stall to full speed.

Is the shipping a 'bargin" .... Just wondering Capt,n
Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Zippi

To get one to my door it's $26.97. Just go through the order process and it will calulate it for you. You wont have to enter a credit card number.