Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Skyshark Christen Eagle Hardware?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Skyshark Christen Eagle Hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
flaminheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyshark Christen Eagle Hardware?

I am finally going to put this bird together after sitting in the box for over 2 years. I have been flying for over 20 years but nothing bigger than .91 size planes. This plane came with hardware (I don't think I would use any of it on one of my smaller planes much less this one). I plan on using a DL50 to power it and I plan on 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos and a pull pull on the rudder. I am looking for advice on what servos to use, what servo arms, what pull pull system, what tailwheel assembly, what control horns and hinges. I plan on using all 4-40 hardware. I just don't know what size or brand or part #'s. How many batteries and what size for the radio and ignition, how many switches and for what? What size fuel tank for about 20 minutes of flying? I have built the plane to the point where I need to know this info so that I can purchase these items and continue building. It would be nice if there were a website that would give you the details on all the hardware for this plane or a general idea and all of the part #'s. I am sorry for all of the questions but this is my first gasser and I want to make sure it is done right. In other words what do I need to rig this plane out with? I am not looking for overkill, but what everyone else would use as if it did not come with the hardware. I am figuring between 16 to 17 lbs flying weight, dry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chuck.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Skyshark Christen Eagle Hardware?

ORIGINAL: flaminheli

I am finally going to put this bird together after sitting in the box for over 2 years. I have been flying for over 20 years but nothing bigger than .91 size planes. This plane came with hardware (I don't think I would use any of it on one of my smaller planes much less this one). I plan on using a DL50 to power it and I plan on 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos and a pull pull on the rudder. I am looking for advice on what servos to use, what servo arms, what pull pull system, what tailwheel assembly, what control horns and hinges. I plan on using all 4-40 hardware. I just don't know what size or brand or part #'s. How many batteries and what size for the radio and ignition, how many switches and for what? What size fuel tank for about 20 minutes of flying? I have built the plane to the point where I need to know this info so that I can purchase these items and continue building. It would be nice if there were a website that would give you the details on all the hardware for this plane or a general idea and all of the part #'s. I am sorry for all of the questions but this is my first gasser and I want to make sure it is done right. In other words what do I need to rig this plane out with? I am not looking for overkill, but what everyone else would use as if it did not come with the hardware. I am figuring between 16 to 17 lbs flying weight, dry. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chuck.
Built mine with a First Place 2.4 (40cc) and it is plenty. The DL50 will be outstanding. Here are some pictures of a few things I did. You won't have to worry about the push rods on the wings going with (4) servos. I use a metal gear servo on the rudder of a tail dragger like a Hitec 645. Over 100 ozs and a strong gear train. Use a tail gear that will extend the wheel back to increase wheel base. This makes ground handling easier on these short coupled birds. Put some extra epoxy around the inside of the firewall and reinforce the engine box with fiberglass after you have it in place. No more than a 20oz tank is needed, and a 16oz would do. These gas engines are much more miserly on fuel than their glow counterparts. No need to carry the extra weight. For servos........elevators (80-100 oz), rudder (100 oz MG), ailerons (80 -100oz), throttle (standard but 5-pole to absorb the vibration) and mount this back with the rest of the radio to keep it away from the ignition and spark wire. I use the Dubro sheathed 4-40 metal-cable pull pull system. Easy to install. I changed the wing to I strut bolts to 4-40 cap screws with blind nuts epoxied into the I struts. The main tires supplied were a little too wide I thought. I changed them out for some narrower ones of the same diameter. Use pinned flat hinges instead of the supplied CA hinges with your DL50 and install them with Gorilla glue or Titebond. If I think of more I'll post.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35255.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1068980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq49584.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1068981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43488.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1068982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12055.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1068983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26357.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1068984   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10814.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1068985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79861.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1068986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40427.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1068987  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40879.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1068988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43454.jpg
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	1068989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19086.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	1068990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21463.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1068991  
Old 11-09-2008, 07:17 PM
ram3500-RCU

Here are a couple other things. Batteries, the DL takes 4.8 volts (I also fly them). Use a 2000mah Nicad for this (no 6V with a regulator as the ignition boxes don't like them). The RX can use whatever. I like a 2 cell Lipo with a regulator or a 6V Nimh also in the 2000 range. I could get a list together with brands and maybe part numbers but it will take a bit. Lots of good stuff out there though. Just think in terms of increased load and vibration over what you are used to. I use JR components mostly. 9303 TX, 955 RX in this one (before I sold her), JR 8411s, JR 4721s, Hitec 654MGs, Hitec 5945s, Hitec 5645s, Dubro heavy duty arms, Himax Heavy duty switch harnesses, heavy duty servo extensions, and I used Great Planes heavy duty control horns on this one.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
flaminheli

Thanks for the info ram3500. What brand tailwheel are you using and pull pull system? What size servo arms are you using on the control surfaces, and will plastic be ok or do I need aluminum. What would be wrong with using epoxy on the hinges, since I already have some. Do you think that the supplied control horns would be alright with this larger engine or should I use aluminum ones. I noticed you beefed up the engine box. Did it come in nose heavy with all that extra ply. Is that 3/8" ply and is there any thrust built into iit? I planed on beefing up the firewall with another sheet of 3/8" ply but I do not want to get to carried away with it resulting in more wieght. So how about 1- HS-645MG for the rudder and 6- HS-545BB for the elevators and ailerons. Sorry for all of the questions but this is a learning experience for me since this is my first gasser project. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:22 PM
flaminheli

OK. I just ordered the pinned hinges, heavy duty pull pull, an Ohio rc tailwheel and 7 HS-645MG servos. I guess I am off to a good start.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
ram3500-RCU

ORIGINAL: flaminheli

Thanks for the info ram3500. What brand tailwheel are you using and pull pull system? What size servo arms are you using on the control surfaces, and will plastic be ok or do I need aluminum. What would be wrong with using epoxy on the hinges, since I already have some. Do you think that the supplied control horns would be alright with this larger engine or should I use aluminum ones. I noticed you beefed up the engine box. Did it come in nose heavy with all that extra ply. Is that 3/8" ply and is there any thrust built into iit? I planed on beefing up the firewall with another sheet of 3/8" ply but I do not want to get to carried away with it resulting in more wieght. So how about 1- HS-645MG for the rudder and 6- HS-545BB for the elevators and ailerons. Sorry for all of the questions but this is a learning experience for me since this is my first gasser project. Thanks.
Any higher torque servo will be fine for all but the rudder. The shock of tail on a tail dragger is why I like metal on those. A good nylon gear stays tighter longer for the other locations, and will weigh less. The extra ply on the front of the box is because I switched engines before I even got it done. I had a Thor installed, then decided to go with my FPE 2.4. Right thrust is built into the adjustable engine box. I use Dubro large heavy duty arms with good results. Never had one strip, yet in the event of a hard knock to a surface, they will give usually saving something else. My plane, set up as you see it, balanced right on the money with no added dead weight. You will need to mount your tank lower I think, so as to get the linkage to your rear inducted engine. This is not a problem because these engines pump the fuel to the carb. just keep the ignition and control systems isolated from each other as far as you can. This includes the ignition switch and battery. Keep the RX batt, switch, and servos well behind the engine and ignition. I like at least 12" separation.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
flaminheli

The 645's will have to do on all the surfaces. I have already ordered them and all 7 only weigh a pound. The engine w/electronics and muffler weigh 3.5 lbs. It looks like it is getting to the point of watching what you eat, to try and keep the weight down. I have never seen how much the bare airframe weighs. I also used the stock 4.25 wheels after I thought about it long and hard, I probably should have went a little smaller and lighter. The way it is looking I may have to go with the 16oz tank just to save wieght and no smoke system or flying wires.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 AM
ram3500-RCU

Well, The four wing servos will be on or in front of the CG I think. That will help. The DL50 is light, so the weight of the tires may very well help. Power is not going to be a problem. A DL50 hauls my 87" Yak around with great authority. Your plane will weigh no more than my Yak. The Skyshark Eagle is one fine airplane, in fit, finish, scale appearance, and, oh yes, she flys pretty good too.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:03 AM
simmo8

ram3500-RCU that is one of the moast beautifull airlpanes i have ever seen. love the colers aswell
good on yu

happy flying

simmo