Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

J3 Cub CG recommendation

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

J3 Cub CG recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Big-Mo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J3 Cub CG recommendation

Hey everyone!

Got a new bird ready to fly other than the CG instructions call for a cg of 100 to 120 MM from leading edge. plane is a 81" j3 piper cub. os 91 surpass power, was wondering where someone other than me would start with the CG and where to balance IF it determined to CG at 100MM then should the plane hang level or nose down slightly? Have never had a high wing before there a new breed to me.

thanks a lot

Oh BTW it is a will hobby 90 size j3 cub. after a few mods it turned out to be OK other than the cheap-ass covering they used. melts at 200*f. [&:]talkin about LOW temp covering.

once again
thanks

Big-Mo
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: J3 Cub CG recommendation

High wings are no different than any other plane for CG. A little nose down is always a safe bet and then go from there after she is flown.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM
alan0899

G'day Mo,
I would start at 110mm from leading edge, it should hange so the the tailplane is level, or as you would call it, the horizontal stabilizer.
Make sure you use the recommended elevator throws, on low rate, & set high rate to 30% more, in case you need the extra control, I do the same for the ailerons, the rudder throw should be low enough throw to allow taxiing, but not too much to cause ground looping, Cubs are notorious for that, always & I mean ALWAYS, hold full UP elevator, until the plane is moving then release, & add power slowly & SMOOTHLY, when taking off, & steer with rudder.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:14 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

On a high wing plane You balance them right side up, on a low wing plane You balance them upside down.

John