Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Tower Kaos Covering >

Tower Kaos Covering

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Tower Kaos Covering

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:43 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Kaos Covering

I just ordered a Tower Kaos 40. After reading through the post, it appears that the covering tends to come off the model fairly quickly.

1. Have they changed the covering on the Kaos withing the last six months?

2. What is the best fix for the problem? Recover or can some type of clear be applied to help prevent the covering from flying off?

Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Tower Kaos Covering

Probably the best fix is to go over it with an iron - which you should do with all ARFs anyway
Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 PM

I have had my Kaos for about a year and a half. Most of all the pin stripping has come off. I did what Minnflyer said and it still started coming off pretty quick. I've started spraying my ARF's with TF clear coat. Seems to work pretty well. I'm ging to recover my Kaos and then clear coat it. You are going to love the Kaos. It's a great plane. Good luck

chopper
Old 02-04-2009, 04:44 PM

3 years ago i had a tower kaos. it was covered in tower kote. it literaly just fell off the fueslage and tail surfaces. i decided to recover it but i was not sure what it was covered with because the red and white were to lighter and did not match monokote. i called tower and they refered me to hobbico. they told me it was towerkote. i ordered two rolls of red and white and it matched perfectly. i do not like towerkote but it works if applied properly. you must keep your iron turned down. it is a low temp covering. if you decide to recover it re-coat the wood with balsa rite film adhesive 30 minutes before you start.
the reason the factory stuff comes off is because they do not iron it down. the china factory wraps the model, then they just seals the seams with a iron and then its run thru a heat oven to shrink the covering. so the adhesive on the back does not glue itself to the wood.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:27 PM

I had one and it's a great flyer![sm=thumbup.gif]

I recovered mine from the start replacing the TowerKote with Monokote.

If you decide to recover use your heat gun when pealing the old covering off it comes off cleaner that way.

If you don't recover I have heard that clear nail polish on the seams works great.