Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Decathalon- need help!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Decathalon- need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
sowega flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seagull Decathalon- need help!!

OK- So I'm putting my new Decathalon together and I get to the little brass screws that attach to the wing for the wing struts to attach to by the use of a clevis. Low and behold- I snapped the head off of one of the brass screws. It has a threaded tail with a flattened portion on the top and a hole drilled through for the clevis to attach. Horizon is a no go for replacement.

Can anyone help me find one?
Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Seagull Decathalon- need help!!

I broke one as well; here's what you do for a replacement; go to the nuts/bolts/screws section at Lowes/Home Depot, and look for the fastener drawers. In the Miscelaneous Fastener Drawer, look for those threaded Shouldered Thumb Screws; they are basically a machine screw with normal threads, but instead of a hex or allen head on them, they have a flat disc that you grasp with your thumb and forefinger(see photo). Then grind off the excess width of the disc to the same width of the thread body and drill a hole in the center of the remaining flat area the size of the mounting screws. The original threaded insert in the wing is Metric; it may be hard to find a Metric Thumb Screw to match, I wasn't able to find one; so I removed some covering from the top of the wing above where the threaded insert would be and replaced it with the proper thread T-Nut and epoxied it in place and recovered that area, works great, no problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69247.gif
Views:	14
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	1160351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33858.gif
Views:	21
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	1160352  
Old 03-19-2009, 01:14 AM
sowega flyer

Default RE: Seagull Decathalon- need help!!

Excellent idea- Thanks! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what to do here. I had a few thoughts, but not as easy as that. I have heard of some folks not using the struts, but I kind of want to keep them...