Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Funtana 125

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Funtana 125

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:41 PM
crusader4u

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Funtana 125

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby Product Support

I have not yet had any other calls or emails regarding any yellowing of the printed covering. There is obviously some discoloration but in order to pursue the issue correctly, we will be able to take a look at it our selves. I cannot send new wing halves without having the old ones here first for evaluation. If you would like to send them in we can then get the issue resolved.

If you should need further assistance regarding this issue please reply to this e-mail for additional support.

If you need assistance in the future, please feel free to e-mail us at [email protected] or you may also contact us toll-free at 1-877-504-0233.

Make sure to visit our web site at http://www.horizonhobby.com to see all of our newest products!

Thank You,

Arron
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Team
4105 Fieldstone Rd
Champaign IL 61822
1-877-504-0233

Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 12:33 AM
To: product support
Subject: Yellowing on the new Funtana 125g

Hello,
My Funtana 125 is turning yellow.
All the white areas that are covered with the new printed film are turning yellow.
My Plane has an electric motor, I do not use anything to clean it.
The bottom of the wings and the fuselage with just the regular Ultracote are still nice and white.
Does Horizon have a fix for this?

WGM Consulting Services
Wayne Martin
905-688-0781
[email protected]
Old 07-26-2010, 07:06 AM
crusader4u

Hi Brad, I sent a reply to them with your e-mail, in response to ( we have had no other complaints of yellowing ).
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After balancing my plane using the Pendulum method at the field she ended up with the battery all the way forward next to the fuel tank. I had to add led weight to the engine firewall to complete the balancing. She flew really well and a signor pilot at my field flew her and confirmed that she was balanced perfectly. As a new pilot (started flying in April) I find this plane very easy to fly and to land. I do not have all the 3D skills, but I feel this plane will do whatever I want her to do. Always have a second pair of eyes look at your plane and be there to help if you are not certain. Having a backup saved my plane from the dumpster.
As for the yellowing, my plane is too new to tell, but I can see a distinct deference in the white of the painted graphics and the regular white. Unless Hanger 9 is willing to send out new wings with the improved fixed graphics without having to send in the current wings, I will just recover to my own liking.
TB

Old 07-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Bdegan

Sending my wing panels and horizontal stabs back would be no fun. Would cost me a fortune to ship them from Ontario, Canada to Illinois.
That and be grounded for weeks waiting for a judgement call and fix.
And what do we do with the rudder that is now glued to the fuselage ????? Its yellowing to.

I don't want to drop the issue in hopes they fix the problem for future customers. But as it stands for me. I will most likely end up haveing to live with it for the remainder of this season and recover this winter.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:56 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Bdegan

Sending my wing panels and horizontal stabs back would be no fun. Would cost me a fortune to ship them from Ontario, Canada to Illinois.
That and be grounded for weeks waiting for a judgement call and fix.
And what do we do with the rudder that is now glued to the fuselage ????? Its yellowing to.

I don't want to drop the issue in hopes they fix the problem for future customers. But as it stands for me. I will most likely end up haveing to live with it for the remainder of this season and recover this winter.
Explain the glued in surfaces. And ask that they send you the covering.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
JohnB96041

I think that the covering should be made available. No way one can patch and repaint to fix a wing or tail.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM
JohnB96041

Oh....I can also add that I have 2 of the Funtana 125's and have about 30 flights on each one. No yellowing yet....I will keep my fingers crossed or my finger up in the air.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:10 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

John, these would be the planes you keep under cover while not in flight, correct?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
JohnB96041

Yes....you are correct. Only time they are in the sun is during the time I am putting them together or flying.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:30 PM
Bdegan

The reduced exposure to UV is probably what is slowing the process on yours.
Mine is out in the sun for hours a week ( upwards of 6 to 12 hours exposure )
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 PM
AngLeo

Yes...mine too...out for 6+ hrs a week and its been hot and sunny all summer.It seems each time I take it out....Its a little more yellow.One of the MAIN reasons why I bought this Funtana....Is looks.Its unique.I dont want and shouldnt have to change the covering(to something else)to fix the problem.The covering should be replaced with what it came with it,by Horizon.It would be crazy for all to ship their wings/parts in to Horizon,and what? Remove all the electrics/hardware and hope they dont get damaged in shipping? Na.Im with Bdegan...Let it fly for the remainder of the season....try to protect it,and in the winter,see if I can get the cover replaced with what it came with.That would make me Happy.I still have not tried to bleach,or remove the discoloration... it could get damaged.It depends how bad the yellowing gets.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 PM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: AngLeo

Yes...mine too...out for 6+ hrs a week and its been hot and sunny all summer.It seems each time I take it out....Its a little more yellow.One of the MAIN reasons why I bought this Funtana....Is looks.Its unique.I dont want and shouldnt have to change the covering(to something else) to fix the problem.The covering should be replaced with what it came with it ,by Horizon.It would be crazy for all to ship their wings/parts in to Horizon,and what? Remove all the electrics/hardware and hope they dont get damaged in shipping? Na.Im with Bdegan...Let it fly for the remainder of the season....try to protect it,and in the winter,see if I can get the cover replaced with what it came with.That would make me Happy.I still have not tried to bleach,or remove the discoloration... it could get damaged.It depends how bad the yellowing gets.
Amen on the bold. I paid the long dollar for this ARF knowing it looked great and I didn't have to dink around covering it! I was also wondering how many they'll have to see first hand to acknowledge the presence of a problem - especially with the pictures they've already received? Whatever you do, don't try anything drastic to clean this yellowing off. That'll be the perfect excuse for them to lay the blame for the problem on your wings on something you've used to clean them!

Knowing I'm not going to be happy with a couple rolls covering to fix the issue, and there's not much point in swapping out the wings and stab for another set that'll do the same exact thing, I'd kinda like a credit, or a major discount, on the first available future Funtana that's had this problem taken care of? It's hard to believe they'll keep dumping this issue Funtana with this yellowing problem on unsuspecting future purchasers. If the next generation Funtana are too far out, maybe use the credit/disount on something that is available. My vote, FWIW
Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM
AngLeo

Thats an intresting idea....the credit/discount thing,If my Tana had to be recovered....I would have to pay or get pro help.The main reason I buy ARFs is that I cant cover worth a crap,so recovering mine is a last resort....overall still love my TANA....just a little aggravated/frustrated.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Bdegan

Its not hard to tell its the printed film that is turning yellow.
It would be nice if Horizon would acknowledge it and not lay blame in something else like " what did you use to clean it after flying??"

I wonder if they did any UV testing beforehand ??
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Bdegan

ORIGINAL: AngLeo

Thats an intresting idea....the credit/discount thing,If my Tana had to be recovered....I would have to pay or get pro help.The main reason I buy ARFs is that I cant cover worth a crap,so recovering mine is a last resort....overall still love my TANA....just a little aggravated/frustrated.
Unfortunately, there isn't anything I would be interested in at the moment. []
Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
ahicks

Guys,
Just got off the phone with Charlie (11:50 eastern 7/27/10) - a customer rep at Horizon. I asked about the Funtana 125 yellowing issue, and of course he wasn't familiar with the situation. Not a surprise. The surprise occured when he put me on hold long enough to come up to speed with the problem - including a viewing of the pictures sent to customer service rep Randy. Charlie now says there's going to be a meeting with the "producty development" team this afternoon, and the focus of the meeting will be regarding this issue.

After discussing this issue for a few minutes, Charlie seemed like a straight up kind of guy genuinely interested in coming up with some answers for everyone involved. So, they do acknowledge knowing about the issue, and are working to try and come up with some type of resolution. They're just asking for a little more time to do that....

-Al
Old 07-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Slow and Steady

Two 4. 8 volt batteries are probably fine; you just shouldn't use one alone with Spectrum. What's nice about 6 volt is the added torque and the assurance your signal will not be lost on Spectrum, due to an intermittant voltage drop during a high torque manuever. However, if you are using a high torque servo you may want the added voltage to get the servo's full torque potential.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM
crusader4u

.More on Yellowing

Hello Wayne,

Thank you for getting in touch with us on this. At this time we are currently working with the Hangar9 development team looking into this. At this time we are waiting to hear back from them on their most recent findings. We ask that you be patient with us during this time as we continue to investigate this.

Thank You,

Jeff
Horizon Hobby
Product Support Team
4105 Fieldstone Rd
Champaign IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM
AngLeo

This is good then.They aknowledge a problem and addressing it. We'll just have to wait and see.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Bdegan

Cool, acknowledgement is the first step.
I have always heard that Horizon's support is top notch. This is good.

The pictures that were sent to Randy were the ones I sent last month.
As Angelo said, I think mine is darker now than when I took the pictures. I will have to retake some and compare.

As long as a solution is being worked on, I can be patient
Besides, it still can be flown, and it still flies the same It just doesn't POP visually in the sky like it used to when it was new.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I have two weeks of flying on my Tana, and it is already off-white, soon to be yellow. I guess I will just get in line, to bad it was a very nice looking plane the first week, now she is old and dirty. The Saito 150 is almost broken in, maybe by next weekend, she flies really well and I have yet to turn her loose, soon to be one of my favorite planes.
TB

Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Well I have my Tana ready to maiden this weekend. I built it per the Elect guide with the factory specified equipment. I've found the airplane to be extremely nose heavy. The only change I made was to put the rudder servo at the rear of the canopy opening and use pull-pull. I might change this given the plane was so nose heavy. I'll fly it first.

I had to place the receiver battery at the rear of the canopy opening and slide the 4s5000 batteries all the way back in the battery saddle to the wing tube to get the plane to balance in the middle of the range.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Bdegan

The spec electric setup by E-flite is heavier than most other electric set ups.
You are also running 8S. Quite a few of us are running 6S.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:41 PM
briangp

So how is everyones verdict on this plane?   I am very interested in this model but I'm seeing alot of mixed reviews, particularly about the hinges, and junking the stock ones in favor of Robarts.    I have an ASP 1.08 and this airframe seem(ed) to be perfect for it.   Would all of you who own one still recommend it?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Bdegan

Aside from the color issue, I love to fly this plane. Its easy, Its capable of just about anything.
Its a bit of a handful on windier days. Because of its light weight and large wing area, I find it gets bumped around a bit. Especially landings on windy days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.