Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet Senior Weight

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Kadet Senior Weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:58 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig Kadet Senior Weight

I just finished assembling a Sig Kadet Senior and I am surprised at the finial weight. The specs say 6-6.5 lbs. but mine ended up at 8.5 lbs. Of that, 12 oz is balast in the nose and 23 oz is for a OS 61 FSR-abc engine and muffler. So without engine and balast I was already over the max spec weight of 6.5 lbs. It was a by-the-book assembly. The wing loading is still only 17 oz per sq ft., so it should fly fine.

What weight did you all end up with on a Kadet Senior?

Bruce
Old 07-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Firebird25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet Senior Weight

In my immediate past I have had 3 Kadet Sr. :

1st: a 20 year old Kadet Sr flown with rudder [without ailerons], which had a .46 glow engine, alive and well without any lead. It balanced perfectly without added weight. It has a NLG

#2. An ARF [that folded it's wings] with an obscene amount of lead on the firewall and a OS 56 Alpha FS on the nose. [Tail dragger]

#3 A kit built Kadet Sr with an OS 56 Alpha FS that also required quite some lead to balance. [Tail dragger.]

#4, an ARF sits quietly waiting in its box to be let out. [a replacement sent by SIG after the wing folding event]
Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you have the reciever battery ALL the way forward, if not you should have. That can change the CG a lot. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 07-11-2009, 03:02 PM
landeck

Red, after 36 years of balancing RC planes (and for 20 years before that of balancing CL planes) I know when to move everything as far forward as possible before adding weight to the nose, but I do appreciate the suggestion. I even looked at mounting the battery in the engine compartment but there was not enough room. I also had to add 1.25 oz to the left wing tip for lateral balance. This was also quite a bit more than I am use to. The plane is made of very dense hard balsa. At least it should be strong.

Bruce
Old 07-12-2009, 07:53 AM
outdoorhunting

Balancing, the biggest pain in the butt out of ALL building steps.!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 AM
av8djc
My Feedback: (4)

Mine is a bashed Sr. from plans purpose built for piggyback glider launching. One half of standard dihedral, Barn Door flaps and ailerons, conventional landing gear, totally modified tail surfaces with the addition of tail brace wires, bomb bay door, and many beef up mods. It weighs about 10 lbs and with flaps and ailerons can land much the same slow speed of a stock lightweight Kadet. Power is an OS 1.08, covering is Super Coverite with Randolph dope. Plane is about 14 years old and has been flown a bunch.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25337.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1234470   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45047.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1234471  
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM
FlyingIreland

My kit-built senior with OS46 FX needed only 8 oz of lead push up under the fuel tank.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM
J-3

If anyone has the ARF version I would strongly encourage you to add fiberglass cloth and resin to the wing center section. Mine folded on the first flight flying straight and level. If you search you will find other people where the same thing happened.....Brian
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
flynnaire
My Feedback: (24)

There is more to the problems besides the wing....... I just recieved a Kadet ARF and the wings are the least of the problem: So far there is no Ca or apoxy just white glue and very little of it.........You need to check yours at all the joints with just a little pressure to make sure they are holding.....
[img][/img][img][/img]
[img][/img][img][/img]
[img][/img][img][/img]
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM
DLU
My Feedback: (37)

What is going on with Sig's quality control. All of the recently purchased Sig Kadet Senior ARF's at my field have problems with covering fading - becoming brittle - shredding during flight - glue joints separating etc.

I purchased my Kadet Senior ARF several years ago. The covering has not faded or degraded and the air frame is still tight. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones????

Old 10-12-2009, 03:10 PM
landeck

ORIGINAL: DLU

What is going on with Sig's quality control. All of the recently purchased Sig Kadet Senior ARF's at my field have problems with covering fading - becoming brittle - shredding during flight - glue joints separating etc.

I purchased my Kadet Senior ARF several years ago. The covering has not faded or degraded and the air frame is still tight. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones????

I bought one in June and have no problems with the covering.

Bruce
Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
DLU
My Feedback: (37)

That's because you haven't flown it long enough. Wait till next summer to see if the covering fades. If it does keep a close watch on it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Checklst

Wow I was all ready to list my weight of my Kadet SR Arf then I realized we were talking about 3 different planes hear. Built Kadet SR, Kadet SR(arf), and a Kadet.
Anyway my Arf Sr Kadet is 5 years old with no problems weights 8lb even with a 72 4cycle Satio, and is converted to a tail dragger with a external servo in tail for steering.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:14 PM
lukeshort

Mine is 11 years old with a Saito 65 and 2 oz. wt. against the firewall along with the battery verticle right behind it. It's a tail dragger and has servos on each aileron I added along with small split flaps of 1/16 ply, fiberglass main gear, about 3/4 oz. wt. in one wing and aluminum tube struts. After a crash I stripped the Coverite fabric and recovered with MonoKote. Weighs 6 # now exactly and flys great.