Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to build an ARF?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
10 Hours
12.12%
15 Hours
15.15%
20 Hours
19.70%
30 Hours
21.21%
Month - working a few hours a night
24.24%
More than a month
7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

How long does it take to build an ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 06:46 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long does it take to build an ARF?

SomeARF's state 10 to 12 hours...I've never taken less that a couple of months working a couple hours a night at best.

I would guess it takes me about 30 hours to build a typical ARF...

LLD
Old 07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How long does it take to build an ARF?

Depends on the airplane, some are 5-10 hours while others can be 20-30 hours.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM
CustomPC

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and also get very little free time to build.

If i'm lucky i get about 2 hours one evening each week and perhaps the occasional saturday to build. I try to fly every 2nd Sunday but will sometimes elect to build instead of fly if i'm anxious to get a new model built.

Often i'm not happy with the supplied hardware so will waste time waiting for parts to arrive in the post or for spare time to visit the LHS.

At that rate the average ARF takes me a couple of months to complete.

The longest ones for me seem to be Great Planes models (Super Skybolt & Venus II) which had no problems, they just took a while.
The fastest was a Hangar 9 Tango which had practically everything pre-done (control horns, pushrods etc).
The best was a Sebart Electric model which was superbly well made and accurately constructed. I went together just as it was designed with no need to re-engineer it like i've had to do with others.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot depends on the plane of course, but I dare say that I have built more ARFs than most people due to the fact that I do reviews for RCU Magazine. I have had some that go together in an hour and some that took 20 to 25 hours. There have been many that would have flown the same day I opened the box if I didn't have to wait 24hrs for the epoxy to fully cure.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: LLD

to build a typical ARF...

LLD

Is there such a thing??

A H9 ultrastick can be built very quickly.

On the other end of the spectrum, some ARF's can be a nightmare.............
Old 07-19-2009, 01:30 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are too many variables, i find that i can finish a typical .40-1.20 glow in a couple of evenings, ive also pulled off a couple of all nighters. From my experience it usually takes more than twice as long to finish of 50-100cc gassers
Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, I thought that these were mutually exclusive terms.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

I am currently "Assembling" a GP Giant Super Sportster and here is what I have logged time wise into the project thus far. The time I log does not include breaks and is actual working time.

1. 2 hours reading and studying the manual before assembly begins

2. 1 hour to inventory and inspect all parts

3. 3 hours into fixing all the wrinkles in the covering.

4. 4 hours into fitting the Zenoah G38 and cowl alignment. Yes I know, this isn't the order of putting things together based on the assembly manual. But sometimes we must take liberties to get things done in a way we are each comfortable with.

5. Today will be tail feather installation. I'm guessing about 2 hours for fitting and gluing of the horizontal stab.

I have yet to figure out the advertisers time line installations. I usually let my epoxy setup for 24 hours before going to the next step when installing the tail feathers. This in itself automatically puts me out of the estimated assembly time. I am guessing I will have about 40+ hours before this bird gets its maiden flight.

The reality is we all have our own way of doing things and our own pace at which we work. I never have put much stock in the "Advertised Assembly Time" as this is much more of a marketing gimmick then anything else.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Tx_RcFlyer

I am currently ''Assembling'' a GP Giant Super Sportster and here is what I have logged time wise into the project thus far. The time I log does not include breaks and is actual working time.

1. 2 hours reading and studying the manual before assembly begins

2. 1 hour to inventory and inspect all parts

3. 3 hours into fixing all the wrinkles in the covering.

4. 4 hours into fitting the Zenoah G38 and cowl alignment. Yes I know, this isn't the order of putting things together based on the assembly manual. But sometimes we must take liberties to get things done in a way we are each comfortable with.

5. Today will be tail feather installation. I'm guessing about 2 hours for fitting and gluing of the horizontal stab.

I have yet to figure out the advertisers time line installations. I usually let my epoxy setup for 24 hours before going to the next step when installing the tail feathers. This in itself automatically puts me out of the estimated assembly time. I am guessing I will have about 40+ hours before this bird gets its maiden flight.

The reality is we all have our own way of doing things and our own pace at which we work. I never have put much stock in the ''Advertised Assembly Time'' as this is much more of a marketing gimmick then anything else.

Ted,

I built one of these from a kit several years ago, and I'll promise that it took far longer than this. A couple of suggestions are in order here.

1. Either leave the wheel pants off, or make new stiffer landing gear wires. My wheel pants punctured the wing sheeting, due to very flexible wire. This was a smooth landing on grass too.

2. Add tail braces to the horizontal stab. The Horizontal Stabilizer is very weak and somewhat flimsy.

3. Close up any gaps between the Horizontal Stabilizer and the Elevators, and/or use a strong servo (ask me how I know).

This is a great flying model, but I would recommend using a low pitch prop. Speed with this one is not your friend (again ask me how I know).

Best of luck to you,

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the tips Bill. I did read the thread on this model and the changes people recommend. I will be incorporating them as I accomplish the assembly.. I guess we should include research time to address potential problem areas.

As for the prop, I typically run 18x6-10's on my G38's. This has served well on everything from a Lazy Ace, H9 Taylorcraft to an Ultra Stick 1.20 all running G38's

Just getting back into the hobby after about a 4 year hiatus and figured the SS would be a good first "Big" refresher bird for me.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:11 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This really is kind of a useless question that will generate endless responses from builders and assemblers. What is the point of it all and how fast do you work?

As far as the aircraft, they are what they are, and they are not all created equal. If you go cheap, expect to spend a lot of time and money making things right on it. Even if you spend a lot, expect to take some time making it a better and more lasting airframe.

Bottom line, who really cares how long it takes? I don't. If you want it, you will spend whatever time it takes to get it the way you want it. If it is too big a project for you, and you don't want to involve another person, just pass on it.

This survey has no real answer. Just too many variables.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:52 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: ram3500-RCU

This really is kind of a useless question that will generate endless responses from builders and assemblers. What is the point of it all and how fast do you work?

As far as the aircraft, they are what they are, and they are not all created equal. If you go cheap, expect to spend a lot of time and money making things right on it. Even if you spend a lot, expect to take some time making it a better and more lasting airframe.

Bottom line, who really cares how long it takes? I don't. If you want it, you will spend whatever time it takes to get it the way you want it. If it is too big a project for you, and you don't want to involve another person, just pass on it.

This survey has no real answer. Just too many variables.
Some interesting responses...

Why did I post this poll? I was curious, I seem to take a lot of time because I'm a perfectionist to a fault.

I was curious as to others opinions. Yep, many variables...Didn't want to single out a ARF...

If you don't want to play in this poll, then don't...No problem...

For others that want to put thier thoughts out here and even detail additional info, great....

The question was intended to be an open ended question to allow a wide range of responses.

The basis of my curiosity...I see many planes at the local fields. You can tell the folks that slam them together and you can tell who takes their sweet time. All of my planes look fairly nice. I'm not the best builder but they all fly nice and they are straight. Most planes I build only require very minimal trim if any at all...

I may take about 4 hours aligning, checking, then aligning again before I mix up epoxy to attach the tail feathers. Then I will continue to monitor to make sure the epoxy don't pull something while curing...

Larry Diamond
Old 07-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: LLD

The basis of my curiosity...I see many planes at the local fields. You can tell the folks that slam them together and you can tell who takes their sweet time. All of my planes look fairly nice. I'm not the best builder but they all fly nice and they are straight. Most planes I buid only require very minimal trim if any at all...

I may take about 4 hours aligning, checking, then aligning again before I mix up epoxy to attach the tail feathers. Then I will continue to monitor to make sure the epoxy don't pull something will curing...

Larry Diamond
That's probably an accurate assessment regardless of whether you are talking about an ARF, or a Built model.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 07-19-2009, 11:43 PM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

It all depends on the quallity of the ARF and how well everything goes together and last but not least the skill level of the person building the ARF. With me if I get Friday ARF kit, it could take twice as long as it should, correcting all the factory mistakes that were made in China. I chose the month working on the plane every night after work.