Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

E-Flite Pulse

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

E-Flite Pulse

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:15 PM
tlampher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Flite Pulse

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the E-flite pulse line. I am considering the Pulse XT 25e. I am still fairly new to RC, started last fall and have moved up to some Parkzone planes and can do very simple aerobatics (loops and rolls) Would this be a good next plane to try or am I going to smash it up right away? I am always nervous to "take the next step" with the planes.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
opjose

Default RE: E-Flite Pulse

Parkzone type foamies ( with some exceptions ) are not similiar to larger RC planes.

While the Pulse XT is an excellent SECOND or THIRD plane, you may be best advised to stick with a more standard trainer configuration.

e.g. a Glow or Electric .40 - .60 sized trainer.

Trainers use tricycle wire gear with springs. The springs absorb the shock of hard landings to a great degree ( though novices STILL manage to break the gear! ).

The Pulse is a tail dragger, and the gear will rip out easily if not handled properly.

On most tail draggers, there are no sprung gear. The gear themselves act as a leaver if front to back force is placed on them, yanking the gear and the fuselage apart, causing damage.

So your landing skills should be fairly refined before moving on to a tail dragger.

This is just one reason why there is a logical progression to flying RC planes.

The Pulse can land slowly and is an excellent flyer, but it is not a "first" plane.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
tlampher

What would be a good next step plane? I would like to go Balsa. My landings do need work, but the parzone F4U is the only plane in my collection which I have troubles landing which I believe is because it comes in super fast. I have started experimenting with flaps and seems to help, but I was doing this in high winds landing with the wind instead of against it because the field did not allow me to land into the wind.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 PM
opjose

Look at RCKen's list of beginner planes at the top of these forums. It is a stickie there since this question is so often asked.

You need to master cross wind landings, crabbing, etc. before moving onto something like the Pulse, lest your first cross wind landing with the Pulse end up ripping out your landing gear.

I think that the Pulse is a wonderful "second" plane, but if you are just coming of beginner foamies, you need to deal with a larger trainer first.