Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

NitroModels .40 Sized P51 Build

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

NitroModels .40 Sized P51 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:55 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NitroModels .40 Sized P51 Build

I have decided I need a small warbird to fly at the field in additon to my large scale airplanes, just something to bang around with. Thought about enlarging a Tower Fun51 kit just a bit and building that, then I came accros the Nitromodels P51 and just could not build what I wanted for the price. I am not a big ARF fan, this will be only my second and I have been modeling for about 45 years. Anyway spending a small amount of time on this project leaves me with more time to build the large scale stuff!

I searching for information on this plane (picture below) I could find nothing from anyone that has built and flown it, so I thought it would be a good idea to document the entire process from order to first flight. Any interest?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50331.gif
Views:	15
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	1273493  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:05 AM
bps

Default RE: NitroModels .40 Sized P51 Build

Recieved the kit and 2 servos in the specified time frame of about a week. Kit arrived packed well and with no outside damage. Upon opening the box I found 3 things I did not care for (1) decal sheet was bent up which is minor and (2) the retract wheel well liners which are vacuum formed plastic were not formed very well (3) poor instruction manual.[] I have contacted customer service about this issue and in 4 days have not heard back from them.[] I have also posted a question in their support forum on RC Goups. The add says pre-installed retracts, not so. Rest of the kit was typical ARF in that it had a lot of covering wrinkles, this is normal and not a big deal. One thing to keep in mind here this is a $100 ARF, not one of the more expensive ones. For what I paid I am happy with the kit at this point. A good value for the money. Build thread to follow, warning I am slow![X(]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70295.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	1278661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42782.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1278662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67537.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1278663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77442.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1278664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec90027.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1278665  
Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 AM
bps

E-mailing and posting in the forums has produced no responses. I had to call customer service during the day and was on hold for some time. They were very polite and offered to inspect the vac formed wheel well liners if I would send them back. Seems like a lot of effort for a vac formed part, but I understand. Looks like I will just build them out of balsa and paint them. Will add strength to the retract cut outs anyway. I have reglued everything I can get to on the fuse. Instruction manual lists a spinner included in the parts list, but I think this is just a generec manual and I found no spinner in my kit. Takes about a 2.75" spinner and a trip to the hobby shop produced one for about $7. This build is being interupted by a building/designing contest airplane. So my progress will be slow.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:42 PM
fast_eddie70

Hello BPS,

I was admiring your build table, What is the top surface? It looks like drywall in the Pix

FYI - I am getting ready to start a Nitro Models P51 60 size - Lou (Blue/Yellow/Silver). Overall I have been pretty happy with Nitro Models aircraft. I do usually change out the pushrods, tail wheel assemblies for better quality items.

I have a NP Extra 330L 90 size that I just finished. I am pretty happy with it over all.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 AM
bps

Yes your correct it is drywall over a 2x4 structure covered with 3/4" particleboard. I have two of them, they used to bolt together to build full scale airplanes on. I am past that and only build models now though. Overall I have been pleased with the NP .40 kit. It is safe to say that the more expensive ARFs are most diffinately of much higher quality though. I am sure the customer service is much better as well. No luck on getting the wheel well liners replaced, had a few folks contact me but looks like I will just build them out of balsa. Their customer service needs work to say the least. I am glad my kit did not have a major defect. Retracts are pretty much not worth installing. I purchased .40 sized Hobbico mechanical retracts and they are of much higher quality. I also purchased the metal gear HD servo, save your money on that one.

This build took a second seat to a design contest bird over in the 1/2a forum. I have to complete it by Halloween including flying. So most likely will finish the Mustang after that. More to come.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Bugalooob

If thats a CMP plane, I would make sure the CG is right in the manual
Old 10-02-2009, 05:46 PM
bps

Thanks for the warning. The manual is very poor!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 AM
bps

I have worked a little on the plane. Rebuilt the landing gear retract mechanics by removing the rotating pin in the retract body and replacing with a machine bolt and blind nut. The blind nut spurs needed to be removed and the blind nut shortened just a bit. The hole in one side of the retract was inlarged for the blind nut and then the unit reasembled. This tightened up the retract considerably, so I am going to try then first and see how they work out. After re shrinking the covering I cut the wheel, aileron servo and wire openings in the wing using a soldering iron. The retracts did not even come close to fitting the precut openings in the wings. The openings need to be cut to allow the retracts to fit in and the retract legs have to be rebent to fit into the retract openings. I am using a low profile retract servo. The servo mount for this servo needed to be recut to allow the servo to sit low enough in the wing so that the actuacting rods would clear the surrounding structure. I will post pictures later of all this. Lots of work to install these retracts. I glued the wings together and the fit was not that good. Wing to fuse fit is even worse. More later.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
opjose

The plastic wheel wells included in these "Evergreen" kits normally have to be trimmed by hand.

More often than not people use large wheels so they tend to get thrown out.

I would recommend doing so anyway as the plastic wells tend to break easily. Better to cut out a larger wheel well opening and form a balsa inner wheel fender. This is fairly easy to do and looks much better while adding a bit of additional strength to the area.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 AM
bps

Thanks for the tip. That is what I planned to do, but I was a little surprised how much work it was to fit the retract to the wing opening not using the plastic liner. This ARF is a work in progress and lots of things do not fit well. But to keep it in perspective I only paid $99 plus shipping. If I had paid $199 I would not be happy at all!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:08 AM
opjose

And yet with many of those 200.00 ARFs from the "big boys" I've run into exactly the same problems.

Why do the vendors also insist on undersized wheels?

Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM
bps

Well I have all of the control surfaces mounted and the retracts in. Cowl has been cut for my Magnum .52 4s and the servos are in. Canopy is mounted. All I have left to do is mount the aileron servos, tank and reciever then sealcoat the firewall and it is mostly finished. I think this cures my ARF thirst. I have an oportunity to purchase a 1/3 scale kit so I am looking at selling this and will post it in the classifieds. It is closing in on winter so this plane will not fly until spring anyway.