Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Cheap Chinese Ebay ARFs - Whadaya Think?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Cheap Chinese Ebay ARFs - Whadaya Think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
pheonixarrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cheap Chinese Ebay ARFs - Whadaya Think?

I also just recieved this p-51. unfortunately mine came with no instruction manual.If anyone can help me out on this i would appreciate it.Although i understand that you sometimes get what you pay for. In this case with a bit of attention to detail in your modeling you more than get what you pay for. these chinese arf models will only get better over time and if you dont think so ask GM about ignoring a small upstart motor company 20 years ago called TOYOTA.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
grimmy55

Well if you dont mind bitting your tongue when you buy a kit from Tower or great planes etc have a look inside the lid of the box there is chinese symbols just got a ultimate bipe from Great planes via Tower and thats the second or 3rd one they all have chinese symbols on box lids inside and I,m sure tower or great planes didn,t put them there sortve answers you question doesn,t it ,,,,WE of other country,s do understand the American progulism but some times its bloody narrow mindedness Hobby city sells sulivan gold connectors and clevis,s tail wheel assemblies etc and there covering well I ask you try it at $8.00 for 5metres and its stronger then Monokote and shrinks up better why else would you go anywhere else
Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
grimmy55

Another if it takes so long to get them right why not do what I normally do get a good plan (taylor puts out some great plans ) and buy some balsa and learn about the plane as you build you can do a fuse in a night a wing in 3 nights all you have to do is create the time to do it ,and get the satisfaction of saying I build this lives worth more than a quick ARF
Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 AM
SpinnerRow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: grimmy55

Another if it takes so long to get them right why not do what I normally do get a good plan (taylor puts out some great plans ) and buy some balsa and learn about the plane as you build you can do a fuse in a night a wing in 3 nights all you have to do is create the time to do it ,and get the satisfaction of saying I build this lives worth more than a quick ARF
A plane you build from scratch isn't an Ebay ARF is it?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

To each his own.  I tried the Cheap Chinese Ebay ARFs.  I knew that there had been reported problems.  I thought I could design my way around the problems and still come out ahead.  After spending a expended amount of time building it I had the horror of watching it self destruct.
They are not safe, someone will get hurt with one.  I was very relieved when it hit the ground and all the pieces stopped moving. 

Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the original premise was "cheap chinese ebay arfs "
It seems like others can in reality start new post ,example -building vs arfs or Time to build vs bashing arfs ect .
I personally love to bash arfs , not because there not right , because I like to make them more scale , better and my own .
As far as scratch building , if I wanted to I would chose a good lasor cut kit from plans , I always felt when useing BT plans that I am not intellegent enought to get my questions answered . Some things on BT plans are so simple to see but some areas really lack detail . For example on the Hellcat plans , I would rather see the true position of the scale flaps on the wings , then the simple drawing of the wing rips continued to the trailing edge and then flaps are shown in a separate section . I felt the Fw190 BT plans lacked the same focus ,I know I am talking about the Holy Gral of plans but oh well lol .

Arfs from China are not cheap , in reality considering every arf comes from China it really depends on Cheap producers from China as some are very high end like the Top Flight P40 .
You also have to remember when I paid $68 for my 71" Fly Models hellcat and $55 for shipping I knew exactly what I was bidding on , so you not going to hear drama on "no plans" "cheap fittings " ect . I was actually surprised that my control horns ect were very useable , same with my cheapy Seafury from Willshobby .
I think the reason why many of the guys in the warbirds threads love these planes and bashing them is that its fun to make an ok arf into a great plane .
In addition you can see some incredible building skills not typically associated with the negative comments on "building vs ARfs " . None of that drama is present in those post , its all about the work on the plane .
I have an Fw190 from China , it now has all scale flying surfaces scratch built , sierra retracts all around , full interior 70% scartch built , airpowered canopy and pilot moves his head . All that is left is final paint scheme and starting price was $200 lol
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 PM
LDM

"just recieved this p-51. unfortunately mine came with no instruction manual. If anyone can help me out on this i would appreciate it."

I suggest you list your questions as they come up or look at the kit and start to post . Example CG , or flying surfaces movement and settings ect .
Old 05-20-2011, 02:30 PM
pheonixarrison

All i really needed from the plans on the P-51 is the CG. im new to the site and thought someone might have this kit and be willing to help me.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM
LDM

Look up the formula for 25% of mac, I never trust the plans
Old 05-21-2011, 12:06 PM
raptor001
My Feedback: (8)

I bought 1 one these EBAY p-51 and the instructions didnt match the airplane at all where you are suppose to put the servos where not correct and also i didnt show where to put the retract servo either. I downloaded another p-51 that was a different size and it showed where to put the retract servo. the plans that came with the p-51 could be partly used and the seller has plans also that parly matched. in the end i was using plans for 3 different p-51 arf from aeromax to put mine together. also you really have to beef up the landing gear area if you want to fly this plane. once i did everything i could she flies well. i hind sight it would have been easier to buy a name brand and less stressful than to buy this plane it was a learning experience. i Have a p-51 that is 18 years old and showing her age and i dont think p-51 will have have the life span my old one does.