Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Horizon Hobby drops prices on arf’s.

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 AM
johnnyjet
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizon Hobby drops prices on arf’s.

Looks like Horizon Hobby’s is cutting some fat and passing it on to the customer.[sm=cry_smile.gif]

"Keeping the hobby affordable is always important, but it's never been more important than right now. To that end we are lowering pricing on over 50 popular Hangar 9 and E-flite models. Enjoy the finest construction, easy assembly and outstanding performance you expect when you buy a Hangar 9 or E-flite airplane. The only difference will be the fact that you're getting a first class flying experience for less"

http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...ite&N=0&vno=72

Johnny
Old 10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Horizon Hobby drops prices on arf’s.

That sure is an interesting spin.

It seems more like they are returning the prices to where they used to be on some items after sales dropped off from the big price INCREASE a several months back.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
johnnyjet

ORIGINAL: P-51B

It seems more like they are returning the prices to where they used to be on some items after sales dropped off from the big price INCREASE a several months back.

I couldn’t agree with you more.
Is this what you’re referring to?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79..._1/key_/tm.htm

Johnny
Old 10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may take advantage of this and buy another Ultra Stick 40. Flew one for 4 years before killing it. What a great plane.

Horizon still seems a little pricey to me. But I will say that the planes I have bought from them were well made and flew great.

Todd
Old 10-02-2009, 10:21 PM
daveamt
My Feedback: (1)

Just in time for Christmas I hope Santa is logged in!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 PM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

What if i just bought one of these planes recently...are they offering a refund of the difference??!
Old 10-03-2009, 07:08 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

It could be based on sales , however it could be because there honest and simply passing on the new reduced freight rates on ocean containers .
One of the main reasons for the increases were the incredibale increases in freight rates .
Then the perfact storm was brewing and hit all at once , you had
1)major quality concerns accross all chanells of manufacturing from China new rules in all channells from the FDA , Consumer saftey ect , this drove countless of unethical suppliers out of business
2)Major fule increases making container cost soar , and reflecting into the cost of goods
3)USA economy falls flat on its face
All this resulted in a glut of sitting containers , China hungry businesses that started to drop cost , new contacts that would and could comply to the new rules ect ect .
Cost are now down accross the board , and containers are flowing once again , the biggest new hurdle is extensive testing by third party companys , this will eventully create added cost , more delays and in the end will make "made in america " start to look so much better .
Trust me , its a trend you will see , perhaps not in our hobby , but you will see it emerge once again , because the USA Govt can not run a seemless operation(Federal trade commission ) without major red tape .
So in the end , the good old red , white and blue supplier may actully win one based on burocratic road blocks based on incompetancy vs effectiveness .
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

THis is them returning prices to what they where. When prices skyrocketed sales plumetted. Now the they are trying to still keep some prices high and pulling the wool over your eyes.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
multicasting

@ LDM Dang! talk about hyperanalyzing. If all this were true, why are the perennial Great Planes models such as the Big Stik only about 10-15% more than the 2003 price while the ultra Stick jumped nearly 35%? Horizon Got greedy, and sales dropped.

I went to replace my .40 sized Ultra Stick this past summer and was shocked to see the price jumped from $124 to $179. I decided I was done with Hanger Nine after that.

For those who say they are returning to prices prior to the raised prices: Not totally. It still looks like the prices are about $20 higher on a 40 size model than they were in 2004.

Bob

Old 10-06-2009, 05:07 AM
LDM

"Dang! talk about hyperanalyzing. If all this were true, why are the perennial Great Planes models such as the Big Stik only about 10-15% more than the 2003 price while the ultra Stick jumped nearly 35%? Horizon Got greedy, and sales dropped. "

True ?? yes 100% , related to Horison .... only speculation .
Gentelman we have two choices , think the modeling is surrounded by walls and not impacted by the global market (lol) considering 90% or more of the products are made and imported from overseas.

2)why did this not impact great planes /tower ? could be a differant supplier base , length of contracts , volume ect .

"pulling the wool over your eyes " again lol , dealing only in global facts , products that went up in a major way two years ago , have now come down from oversea suppliers -why -simple the great american demand went down with the economy

Why do you think ESM pulled from KMP ? volume and sales dropped , its that simple . Its the same reason why in the early 2000, CMP pulled from its original importer "Giant Scale Planes " volume
THey will tell you "oh we pulled out"lol , no , the problem is that when you cant make a container order or an MOQyou cant get the best price , you start paying x-factory prices vs full container and that alone can raise your price 20% .

Look at how many of the new intro are released so long after the press dates -that is not a result of R & D , that is a result of building interest to fill a container and or containers so that best price can be met .

If you going to speculate and accuse these great american run Hobby distributors , all Iam saying is learn the business model of importing , I know it from my companys volume and trust me its giagantic compared to what these hobby distributors are importing .

Old 10-06-2009, 05:22 AM
bigdanusa

Can't wait for Wal-Mart to start selling RC Airplanes!

It's not how much profit you make off of a product, but how many you move.

Do something good for a person and they'll tell 10 of their friends. Do something bad and they'll tell 100.....in RCU you tell 1000's
Old 10-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I see some of the prices are a little lower and that's on the older models. Seems like they lowered the price to move inventory becasue they maybe are going to be dicontinued. I just paid $549.00 for the new Taylorcraft which was way over priced but I decided to get one anyway. I'd like to have a little of that money back.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 AM
bigdanusa

Couple of years ago I bought a Pulse XT 40 ARF from Horizon for $149.99 and had to pay an extra $18 for oversized package (box was quite small) plus $8.99 for S & H.
Now they're $189.99 + the extra charges.

I recently purchased a Phoenix Extra 330s from that place in Champaign, Ill (I forget the name of the place) that was selling it for $149.99

Since I am a super saver club member I got it for $144.99 minus a $25 discount with no shipping and handling charges and no oversized package charges and the box it came in was 2 times larger than that Pulse XT 40 box. And get this...they even shipped it to me 2nd day air!

So I got the phoenix extra 330 for $120 out the door! Now that's what I call a Good Deal!

Where would "you" rather shop at?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:31 AM
bigdanusa

Best place to shop..... "Big Dans Hobby Shop"

Free S+H on all sales!

On sale this month - Goldberg Piper Cub only $29.95 - Was $149.95
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14026.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1289343  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Grearhead

SOOO how do we find Big Dan's Hobby? Web site? Phone? or go there? And only $29.00 what size plane? I may have to order one. [sm=71_71.gif]
Old 10-06-2009, 09:38 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: johnnyjet

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I couldn’t agree with you more.
Is this what you’re referring to?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_79..._1/key_/tm.htm

Johnny

That thread covers it nicely Johnyjet.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:13 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

The big Ultimate is a steal. Free shipping also.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:05 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdanusa

Best place to shop..... ''Big Dans Hobby Shop''

Free S+H on all sales!

On sale this month - Goldberg Piper Cub only $29.95 - Was $149.95

That's what happens when you try to do 200 mph Lomcevaks with a Cub! <G>

Ed Cregger
Old 10-07-2009, 08:57 AM
AirplaneMan04

BigDan, im sure you are referring to Tower Hobbies. I wish they sold Hangar 9 stuff
We could all save many dollars vs. Horizon since they dont give out the cash off
like Tower does on orders totaling a certain amount.
Maybe Hangar 9 is just more stingy with prices.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horizon is an evil monster.

I'd like to see where this hobby would go if Horizon dropped out of the equation.
More than half of the LHS's would disappear instantaneously.

Either buy from them or don't...but the Horizon badmouthing is just rediculous...as was evident in that other rediculously titled thread.
And no, I have no current affiliation with Horizon. I just know what they mean to the hobby, and what is at the heart and soul of the company.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM
johnnyjet

SD
Do you remember Indy RC?
Great company.

Johnny
Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: johnnyjet

SD
Do you remember Indy RC?
Great company.

Johnny
Sorry I don't. If they were great, I'm sad to hear they're gone.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Indy RC is now Horizon Hobby.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:41 AM
multicasting

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster
I'd like to see where this hobby would go if Horizon dropped out of the equation.
More than half of the LHS's would disappear instantaneously.
That's totally absurd.

If Horizon is the only thing keeping a local hobby store in business, then shame on the LHS. There are FAR more brands available out there.Quite frankly Horizon is a relative newcomer to the industry. I know of hobby shops who choose to carry only a few of their products, or none at all. They are doing quite well.

Do they have good products? Absolutely.
Are they irreplaceable? Not at all. A lot of old brands found that out.

Bob
Old 10-08-2009, 01:37 PM
LDM

"More than half of the LHS's would disappear instantaneously. "
see this is a factual statement , but its waisted , you telling people who dont want to comprehend the supply side and only think its greed and a conspiracy lol .
Horison makes it possible for the little one store owner to get a better price on the quantity buy , its that simple . Its what Great Planes is to the small guy as well .
The big distributors can meet the MOQs so the little guy can benifit from the price .
On the east coast , does anyone remember Allied Hobbies when they were in RC ??
There motto was " we only need to sell them once" !!!! They are a total non-factor in the RC world today .
Price reduction may very be a result of on-hand slow sales inventory . however the future based on the cost of bringing goods in , should come down !!!

Now take Hobby People , ok the same question could be asked about the BH P40 , they got them , sold them at $219 , then $199 then $169 , the plane now has great demand and has proved to be a good flyer . The new shippment that arrived aprox 90 days ago is a rock solid $229 ???? Now is that because they bought less on the fill order vs the initial order , perhaps a 20 ft container vs a 40 or is that they sold so well that they know demand will exceed inventory ?
Its not a simple answer in any case , we are all dealing with importers in this hobby and they are subject to a multitude of varying cost and demand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.