Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Good info! I've got too many models on my plate right now to get a R90 anytime soon, but is sure is nice to daydream a little! 125 on a DLE55 is nice; a piped G62 by Ralph Cunningham might really make her sing!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:17 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Awesome info, thx Jim. I'm pulling the trigger
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Slow and Steady

Looks like pin hinges in the photo. Nice looking construction. I think this will be in the Great Planes stable for a long time. It really is beautiful. Did he say it will accomodate the 55R?
Old 09-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimkim, thanks very much for the info! This bird is looking better each day to me. I think I may have to sell some of my other goodies so my hangar is not bursting at the seems. I just don't have any room for another plane....what a problem to have!

I may still have to order one anyway, especially since I really like the Rev 70. I have the 40 size Rev but not my favorite. The Rev 70 in my book is one hard airplane to beat in overall looks, style, and performance.

If the 50cc is anything like the 70 then you certainly will have a hit. I am anxiously awaiting the reports once the planes get into the hands of owners
Old 09-27-2012, 05:09 PM
Sbach342Guy

So apparently charging a 3s battery on the 4s setting is a bad thing. First time I've seen a lipo burst into flames in person.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

HA! Did you get it on video?? (I always keep a camera close by when charging lipos...)
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM
afjetmech

ORIGINAL: Sbach342Guy

So apparently charging a 3s battery on the 4s setting is a bad thing. First time I've seen a lipo burst into flames in person.
What charger would let you do that?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Sbach342Guy

Any charger that doesn't require that you use the balance plug will let this happen. I wish I had thought to grab video cause I knew it was gonna blow!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:36 PM
afjetmech

Gotcha. Never tried charging without using one so now I know.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:38 PM
microdon2

Sbach - you might want to pick up one of these. I use one - give some level of protection.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZKA2&P=ML
Old 09-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Sbach342Guy

I have two chargers. One is a nice CellPro 10XP and the other is a Turnigy Quad Charger. Both can use balance plugs to charge but the CellPro requires it. I only use the CellPro on my big 6s batteries. Everything else I charge with the cheap charger. Brain fart caused me to skip the cell count adjustment before kicking off the charge. I'm just glad it didn't catch fire until AFTER I pulled it from my charger.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 PM
wjcalhoun

Sbach
Hope that no planes were injured in that experiment, and no pets, humans, or plants were burned!

The Boy Scouts have about 6 ways to create fire. I think the 4S into a 3S pack might make #7.

Bill
Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM
lopflyers

Omg, I have the upmost respect for lipos, I have seen enough pics and videos of houses and planes on fire.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Sbach342Guy

Yeah, I have a handgun gun case I think I need to start using to store my lipos in. A club member lost his garage last year when a lipo on a shelf spontaneously combusted.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:58 PM
microdon2

This flame is pretty scary. Would not want that on my kitchen table.

http://youtu.be/YCWdnjLqVWw
Old 09-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Sbach342Guy

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Sbach
Hope that no planes were injured in that experiment, and no pets, humans, or plants were burned!

The Boy Scouts have about 6 ways to create fire. I think the 4S into a 3S pack might make #7.

Bill
Plants were burned. The grass was definitely scorched!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Sbach342Guy

Reading JimKim's post about the R90 kinda makes me want one. I do wish they were available in blue like the R70. The R70 is my favorite looking plane with my orange\purple\white Sbach being a close second. There is nothing out there that looks anywhere near as good as the R70 in the air!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:19 AM
jimkim

ORIGINAL: microdon2

JimKim - GREAT information and pic - thanks. If the DLE 55 will pull the Rev 90 at 125 mph - that's ALL I'm looking for, speed-wise! Actually, I'm guessing most of us (me included) have never seen a giant plane go that fast. Anyone? This thing is going to be impressive.

Question - what are the hinges? Material or Robart pin-hinge type? As you know (since you've been following the thread - also good news) many of us feel the material hinges are not sufficient and, so, upgrade. Also - is the landing gear area reinforced? (another weakness of the other models).

Last - Is the red in the Rev 90 the same red as the Rev 59? And you're highlighting it with orange? (Actually, after re-examinig your pics, it looks like the dominant color is orange, then blue, then a light brown color). I do like the new paint scheme. Also really like the cowl-ring!

Last question - you didn't identify yourself as Great Planes, but it seems that you are. Did Great Planes get the idea for a giant Revolver from this thread??

Mike

The hinges are Robart type pinned hinges on all control surfaces and with the exception of the rudder they are all pre-installed.

The landing gear wood mount is very secure. In all of our torture test we never ripped out the gear. The good news is that this plane lands pretty slow, putting less stress on the airframe and landing gear.

As far as the design being a response to this thread, I wish I could give you guys all the credit but.... Our decision to continue the line with a larger Revolver was based on sales of the earlier releases. The fact that this thread asked for a larger Revolver was confirmation that we had made a good decision. What most people don't realize is just how long it takes to develop and release an airplane. Had we solely responded to this thread the airplane would still be a year or more away from production.

Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 AM
lopflyers

Come on Jim, be a man. Accept that GP designed this airplane because of us.
You know how it goes, the client is always right
Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 AM
microdon2

Jim - thanks again for your answers. I can't wait to get a hold of this plane and see some videos on Youtube. btw - Has GP produced a promotional video yet?? And, while I agree with SBach that the Rev 70 is one of the very best looking planes at the field, I also love the looks of the Rev 59 - it's such a red-hot hot rod!!

btw - are YOU a Revolver owner, too?? (I would imagine...). What's your setup? And have you flown the new Rev 90??

SOOOO many questions...
Old 09-28-2012, 05:57 AM
wjcalhoun

Jim:
Thanks for the update, and improved structural engineering, on the landing gear.
It may account for some of the increased weight in the R90 vs other 50cc sized planes. I think most of us would trade a few ounces for a more robust LG structure.
We ended up doing it anyway with the R70!

With your empiric data on performance, I think I will equip mine with a DLE55. It is always an option to swap out the engine for something larger later on.

A question on servo sizing; i don't dispute your experience with ~100 oz-in servos, but readily available calculators for required servo force seem to indicate that a larger servo could be required, especially on the rudder:

For example, to deflect the rudder 38 degrees at 55mph (which one might do in a knife edge) would require 75 in-oz of torque; it would be easy to require more torque (in excess of 100 in-oz) with a bit more rudder deflection, or a few more mph. Also, I like to size my servos so that they never see more than about 50% of their max load as a safety factor - but that is just me.

Do your calculations on servo size include a safety factor? What do your calculated loads, particularly on the rudder and elevators look like?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 AM
jimkim

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Jim - thanks again for your answers. I can't wait to get a hold of this plane and see some videos on Youtube. btw - Has GP produced a promotional video yet?? And, while I agree with SBach that the Rev 70 is one of the very best looking planes at the field, I also love the looks of the Rev 59 - it's such a red-hot hot rod!!

btw - are YOU a Revolver owner, too?? (I would imagine...). What's your setup? And have you flown the new Rev 90??

SOOOO many questions...
The Great Planes web site will have the plane up later today. The manual will be available today and I understand that the video will be available some time today too. I will post the link when it is available.

Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 06:25 AM
afjetmech

I can not wait to see the build pics and videos of the guys who are going to first own one of these. With that said, is someone going to start a Revolver 90 thread? This one is going into my next summer plans for sure!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 AM
jimkim

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

Jim:
Thanks for the update, and improved structural engineering, on the landing gear.
It may account for some of the increased weight in the R90 vs other 50cc sized planes. I think most of us would trade a few ounces for a more robust LG structure.
We ended up doing it anyway with the R70!

With your empiric data on performance, I think I will equip mine with a DLE55. It is always an option to swap out the engine for something larger later on.

A question on servo sizing; i don't dispute your experience with ~100 oz-in servos, but readily available calculators for required servo force seem to indicate that a larger servo could be required, especially on the rudder:

For example, to deflect the rudder 38 degrees at 55mph (which one might do in a knife edge) would require 75 in-oz of torque; it would be easy to require more torque (in excess of 100 in-oz) with a bit more rudder deflection, or a few more mph. Also, I like to size my servos so that they never see more than about 50% of their max load as a safety factor - but that is just me.

Do your calculations on servo size include a safety factor? What do your calculated loads, particularly on the rudder and elevators look like?

Thanks
I appreciate you comments on the choice of servos. Without going through a long discussion on servos let me say this. There are a lot of opinions on servos and each guy seems to have his own preference. As a manufacturer we try to recommend the strongest required servo and to get the job done as cost effectively as possible. If you fly the Revolver as recommended and do the set up as recommended the Futaba 3305 servo does the job. It is a 99 oz-in metal gear servo that has performed well on our large airplanes. We have recommended this servo on many of our large scale models and have not had issues. What I like about this particular servo is that it is a very cost effective servo. If someone is investing in a large scale airplane for the first time buying five servos at $75 - $100 can be very expensive and might just stop them from getting into large scale modeling. If you fly very aggressive and think you want more power or speed from your servo feel free to invest more money in your servo choice.

Jim
Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 AM
wjcalhoun

If there is interest, I'll do a build thread.
Now that I have my new iPhone5, I can even post some flying video

Great news about the manual being posted today. Will certainly be worth a read.
Jim - thanks for your perspective on the servos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.