Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Larger Revolver

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Larger Revolver

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

Just remembered - I also installed a Great Planes rear gear, so that did add some weight to tail. Pics attached of the Rev 70 with the newly installed YS 1.20. Will have a flying report tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43746.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	1443469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72792.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	1443470  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 PM
pryor808
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks microdon2,

I will not be using the stock motor mount. I have an original aluminum OS brand engine mount that I upgraded with removable steel plates. I have a total of 6 plates that screw on to the bottom of the OS aluminum mount in case I need to add weight to the nose.

Paulie
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM
pryor808

That YS belongs there!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
pryor808

What size prop are you using on that YS 1.20???
Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM
microdon2

Pryor - recommended props for this YS 1.20 are between 14x10 - 16x10. I'm starting with a 15x10, and have a 15x8 and 15x12 to test, too. It's a bit larger than the 13x8 I was using with the OS 91. Should do a better job of trimming the field grass.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 PM
pryor808

Yeah! that's what I thought. That's a lot of prop for that size airframe. If you know what I mean!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
microdon2

Maybe size IS important.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:10 PM
poorwboy

Well I had a change of heart, I am going to run my 108fsr instead of the gasser. Run a 13x10 prop should be close to 120 mph bird.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:15 PM
pryor808

poorwboy,

Wise choice

Paulie
Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

HMMM I have a 108FSR looking for a new home.... ARRGGG I already have too many planes, and your making me want this one, I have the little one too.

Dauntae
Old 05-28-2010, 05:33 AM
pryor808

Wow. 1.08 OS FSR. What a great engine to have sitting arround and, having after run oil being the only one enjoying the show?? Man! Advantage Hobby is having a Memorial Day Sale with Free Shipping and, 10% off. A nice arplane for under$200 shipped to your door. I think your FSR heard me!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 AM
wjcalhoun

I'm figuring more like 95mph on a 15x10 on my 1.20AX turning 10K (which may be optimistic for level flight); how are you getting 120 mph on a 10 pitch prop?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
mike boxtall

So my Revolver is completely ready to go. Had some engine problems with the saito 180. Had a 16X8 running nicely at 9300 started to sound funny then just as I was lowering the throttle she backfired. Reset the gaps and will fire it up again later. Supposed to rain all weekend. May only get out this coming Thursday. I still find this motor excessively thirsty, but we will see how it goes after it has four or five jugs run through it. Really losing my patience with this lousy weather.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 AM
poorwboy

Hey your right I get 89.96 mph at 9500 rpm. Thanks for correcting me, I was dreaming.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone running the JR DS821 servos in the larger Revolver? This may have been asked before in this thread, but I cannot remember. I am sure there are those that will say NO WAY. I am just asking for unbiased answers if that is possible. [X(]

It seems the DS821 qualifies specification wise if used with a 6 volt battery setup. I don't mind buying better servos, but if these will do the job adequately I don't see the need to buy more servos unless I should just buy stronger servos for elevator and ailerons? Any help as always will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 AM
poorwboy

The DS821 servo is a powerful, accurate sport digital servo recommended for RC airplane applications up to 1.20-size. For helicopters, the DS821 operates best with 30-size glow models, and up to 50-size electric. Loads and vibration in larger models may cause premature failure of the servo resulting in damage or injury to property and persons.

That being said, and 72 oz in seems fine to me.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Slats!

I used them they were fine BUT I also blew the gears in one on the wing. I have gone through 2, I have never had a servo break except the DS821s... Both were in the wings I am a little leary on them and am thinking of getting rid of them.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:00 PM
wjcalhoun

I think servo choice depends very much on how you intend to fly the plane. For me, my rule is no plastic gears on primary flight control surfaces for anything bigger than .60 size, and then only on a trainer type plane. Anything aerobatic gets metal gears. Some others may see it differently.

If you plan to fly fast, make abrupt turns, rolls, or pulls, your servos will be stressed. Snap rolls can be particularly hard on your servos. I'm planning all of that for mine, so I'm using >130 in-oz digital MG servos. If you fly sport, more scale, more gently, I would guess that nylon gears would be fine.

To my way of thinking, MG servos are small insurance for an expensive aircraft/engine/radio/battery investment.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 PM
microdon2

Well, just back from the maiden flight of the Rev 70 \ YS 1.20 FS combination. The engine ran and sounded great, and that thing has POWER. Liftoff was noticeably quicker and was also faster in the air (than with the OS 91 2S). Also seemed to have unlimited vertical (or, at least, was starting to his low-clouds) - I was using a 15x10 APC prop. And gas mileage didn't seem bad, either. Got two (guessing) 7 min flights from that first tank (was running 15%). Plane was balanced and trimmed perfectly. No problems flyling inverted (in fact the engine sounded smoother), or inverted Cuban 8's. And does that engine sound AWESOME in the air!! LOVE it. THEN, however, on the third flight, I'm pulling out of a pretty high, steep dive (both not suddenly, nothing radical), something happens and I see PIECES fluttering down. The plane is now inverted and I see it has NO TAIL SECTION. Was about 60-80 ft up at this point. I pulled back on the throttle and tried to fly it with just ailerons, but, of course, no luck. It nosed in, as three other pieces continued to flutter down. Upon inspection of the crash scene it turns out the horizontal stabilizer and it's flaps broke in half - were completely torn away from the plane (the vertical stabilizer \ rudder were fine). Also saw that one flap was pulled out of it's hinges completely, but the other side's flap was still intact. So I think what happened was the hinges of one stabilizer flap pulled out, which, because I was pulling out of a dive at the time, instantly put too much stress on the other side, which snapped off, which then freed up the right side to snap off. A bad crash - the fuse and stabilizer are totaled, but the wings are fine (surprise). Fortunately I happen to have another NIB Rev 70 on my shelf, so I'm going to immediately dive into rebuilding it, but this time using Robart hinges. Can't imagine what else might have caused the failure - it wasn't like I was doing snap rolls. Any other ideas why that horizontal stabilizer would have failed?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: wjcalhoun

I think servo choice depends very much on how you intend to fly the plane. For me, my rule is no plastic gears on primary flight control surfaces for anything bigger than .60 size, and then only on a trainer type plane. Anything aerobatic gets metal gears. Some others may see it differently.

If you plan to fly fast, make abrupt turns, rolls, or pulls, your servos will be stressed. Snap rolls can be particularly hard on your servos. I'm planning all of that for mine, so I'm using >130 in-oz digital MG servos. If you fly sport, more scale, more gently, I would guess that nylon gears would be fine.

To my way of thinking, MG servos are small insurance for an expensive aircraft/engine/radio/battery investment.
I agree, I decided to just go ahead and get MG servos for the control surfaces that take the beating. Just made sense to me after thinking about it. [8D]
Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
jet22b

microdon2;

I am sorry about your crash. Some people like the CA Hinges, but, I don't!! On my 59" Revolver, on its first flight, the rudder came off in fly and when I landed both elevators was almost pull out. I went with the Robart Hinges and never look back. On both of my 70' Revolver now has the Robarts Hinges. Now I have seen a stab come off in flight because of the glue joint. Like you, I also lost the plane. One thing I tell all who go with bigger engine on the 70" Revolver, beef up all glue joints on this bird!!! It did sound lie you had fun with the plane and that's what count!!! One Revolver on the shelf, what a good move!! Start the build, go with Robarts Hinges and get back flying soon!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM
microdon2

Jet22 -

On which plane did you lose a horizontal stabilizer - the 59 or 70? Mine was the first that I'd heard of. Did either flap pull out of it's hinges? On mine I don't think it was because the joint wasn't strong enough - I think, as I said, it was the sudden transfer of load to one side after losing the one flap - just a guess, of course. But WILL be using Robart hinges on all going forward! And you're right - I had SO much fun flying this plane with the new engine that I'm not that upset, and can't wait to get it into the next Rev 70 and get off the ground. btw - exactly how would you "beef up" that stabilizer joint? (other than 30 min epoxy with fiberglass powder).
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
wjcalhoun

Mike
So sorry to hear about your crash.

By flaps, do you mean that the elevator separated from the horizontal stablizer? If so, I would worry about a couple of things. First, flutter. You may not hear it, because it can happen quickly, but if it occurs it can destroy any hinges, particularly CA hinges. If you were in a high steep dive, the plane was probably moving fast. Did you have dual elevator servos, or did you use the assembly manual method for joining two pushrods? If the latter, perhaps the joint came apart, leaving one elevator half to flutter. I'd look at your elevator rods. If you did have dual elevator servos, check the linkage if you can for slop. The other thing to think about is the hinge gap. They should be tight! Only enough room for the elevator (or rudder, or aileron) to move to its full extent. I generally seal my hinge gaps with clear Monokote or clear ultracote to minimize chance of flutter.

Bill
Old 05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
microdon2

wjcalhoun - Yes, sorry, I meant elevators, not flaps. I used the single servo \ connected pushrods method to control the elevators. Just checked them - the connection of the two rods is still solid. Maybe, as you said, one side started to flutter, which then worked the hinges loose. (I've recently seen some cool videos on Youtube with the camera facing backwards, towards the pilot. Wish I had captured that video for THIS flight! Could analyze it in slow-motion). And for your method of using clear Monokote to cover\close the gap - do you apply that over both top and bottom sides of the gaps, and at maximum elevator (rudder, aileron) extension for that side?

Old 05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: microdon2

Jet22 -

On which plane did you lose a horizontal stabilizer - the 59 or 70? Mine was the first that I'd heard of. Did either flap pull out of it's hinges? On mine I don't think it was because the joint wasn't strong enough - I think, as I said, it was the sudden transfer of load to one side after losing the one flap - just a guess, of course. But WILL be using Robart hinges on all going forward! And you're right - I had SO much fun flying this plane with the new engine that I'm not that upset, and can't wait to get it into the next Rev 70 and get off the ground. btw - exactly how would you ''beef up'' that stabilizer joint? (other than 30 min epoxy with fiberglass powder).
I lost the horizontal stabilizer on a T-34 Mentor 60 ARF with a OS 61SX 2S coming out of a large outside loop. On the 59" Revolver one CA hinge was in the fin and two was in the rudder. The rudder stay with the plane by the control rod. On the elevator, both outside hinge was out and the two inboard hinges was not far from coming out. With the rudder flaping in the wind made for harry landing!!! What you said in your post at the bottom, is what I did to beef up my joints.
Sound like you found a good engine this plane like!!

Sonny
aka
jet22b

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.