Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Electric powered, Glow powered ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Electric powered, Glow powered ARF

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Todd Robinson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric powered, Glow powered ARF

I have noticed now that there is more than a few models available that are designed for electric or glow power. I have had very limited experience with electric power. What I did notice with my electric plane was that it was "extremely" fragile. Are todays designs just as fragile? I am curious to know if these types of models will withstand the added stress of a glow powered motor and just how durable are they?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 AM
jbflier

Default RE: Electric powered, Glow powered ARF

I have been flying nitro/gas models for over 40 years and have been slowly moving toward electric power for the last 5 years. Unless you convert a nitro designed plane to electric, you will see a big difference structurally as the electric only planes are assembled to keep the weight down to a minimum. Less weight essentially means more fragile. I do have a 3D Hobbies Extra that has a 58" wing and weighs 5lbs ready to fly. The AXI 4120 motor that I use has plenty of power to allow for extra "beefing" such as tri-stock in the motor mount and landing gear areas. Although I still enjoy flying the larger gassers, I also enjoy the lighter weight (I have bad shoulders) and no clean up that the electrics provide..................
Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am currently building a model that is designated either glow or electric. But it was designed primarily for a glow .46 engine I think, so it seems plenty beefy enough. They do include the parts and one page in the manual for how to install the electric motor.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take a hard look at the plane and decide if it will hold up to glow power or whether it will need beefed up.

Depends on how good the design is,, and who designed it. Also I would do some careful research here or on the other rc sites to see what people say about the plane you are looking at to get a better idea what you might need to do or problems you might face with a particular plane.

The warbird designs from top flite would likely be fine either way.

Ed
Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've found that the planes advertised as glow/electric are generally built as you would expect for a typical glow powered airplane. They aren't super light as you might find with some airplanes intended strictly to be electric. What they do have though are provisions for battery mounting, easy battery access through a hatch or removable canopy, included hardware for mounting a brushless motor, cooling air exits in the fuselage (just cut away the covering) and so on.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Todd Robinson
My Feedback: (1)

Thanx for the info guys. I have my eye on an Aeroworks .60-.90 Yak. I plan on installing an OS .91Fx. Too much motor, maybe. I guess I wont know for sure until I do it.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah, not too much. It should fly great.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:17 PM
jbflier

You'll love it............