Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Pulse XT 60.....engine choice?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Pulse XT 60.....engine choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:57 PM
nd23rin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pulse XT 60.....engine choice?

Hello All

Just picked up a Pulse XT 60 ARF which will be my second plane, my first being a H9 Mustang PTS MkII. Anyway, I went with the Thunder Tigre pro 61 based on someone at the clubs recommendation, but I am starting to wonder if that was a bad choice. I see so many people bragging about there OS 75AX and bigger engines in thing, yet H9 recommends the .61.

The TT Pro 61 is about 3 ounces heavier than its OS counterpart, so I want to make sure that will be OK. Additionally, I would like this plane to have decent speed, but not crazy, since it's still my 2nd plane and all. I have a OS 55AX in my Mustang, so I would like this Pulse to be at least a little more sporty than that plane.

I purchased the engine yesterday from GravesRC in Orlando, and have not even mounted it yet, so hopefully if the consensus is bad move I can still swap for something bigger.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:15 PM
playntraffic

Default RE: New Pulse XT 60.....engine choice?

Thunder Tiger Pro 61 is a fine engine for this plane. The pulse is very similiar to the Sig 4Star in performance. That being the case, it is not a speed demon. It is a nice airplane that is gentle at slow speeds and can pull off some basic aerobatic manuvers. A 61 is plenty. A 75 is fine, but you certaintly don't need the power.

The Pulse is a low wing with dihedral. It is semi-semetrical and considered a fine second or third plane and a good low wing plane intermediate plane.
You will enjoy the Pulse/61 combo.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Wingspam

I have flown my Pulse 60 for almost 2 years with an Os 91 Fx its a great combo. Something around a 75 would also be great..
Old 06-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

I have the Pulse 60 with a Saito 100 swinging a 14x8 APC prop. It's mounted straight up, not sideways or inverted. The engine is really a bit too much for that plane. It will go airborne in a very short takeoff roll. I usually fly it at about half throttle. One nice thing with that engine on this plane is the vertical climb performance. Go to full throttle, point the nose up, and it will put a smile on your face for sure.

Mike
Old 06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been flying the Pulse XT 60 for a year and a half on an OS 61 AX turning a APC 12x7. It is more than enough power with good verticle. I really love flying the plane. The TT 61 should do just fine in the plane.

Bruce
Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 PM
MercerAUST

I'm flying mine for a Saito FG14 (gas, 14cc, 4 stroke, equivalent to a .82 4 stroke or about a .60 2 stroke). Performance isn't out of this world, but it is solid and will do everything the plane is designed for. The Saito swings a big prop and the acceleration from idle to WOT is good. I don't think the plane can go quick (too much drag), so going above the recommended motor size probably won't add too much to this plane (apart from the vertical performance).
Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I have an OS 61 FX and found it to be sluggish compared to my Escapade. It will do large loops, and some vertical but stalls out eventually in a vertical climb. I will be putting a OS 95 AX in this plane next week, mostly I will fly it on half throttle and just have the boost for vertical climbing, plus the engine will last longer without having to run it full throttle all the time.
TB

Old 07-06-2010, 12:19 AM
MetallicaJunkie

i have a 61sf with a 12x8apc....flys great.....its just a sport plane anyhow....