Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
 Black Horse Extra 300s .46 size >

Black Horse Extra 300s .46 size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Black Horse Extra 300s .46 size

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Horse Extra 300s .46 size

I'm starting this thread because there does not seem to be a lot of chat about it on the RCU forums.

I collected my BH Extra from the Hobby store today. The bits inside are well packaged, the bits of the ARFare extremely well finished in Oracover.

Control surfaces are pinned and epoxied in place, there no CA hinges here!! These are proper pinned hinges.

The covering is tight, smooth, without blemish.

Yeah I know this post is useless without pictures. I'll take some and post them up soon as the wife gets home with the camera's

comparing this arf to other more expensive brands, so far I am hugely impressed. Black Horse seems very very underrated.

Pics to follow and build history followed by flight progress.

I'll be using my Futaba T6Ex 2.4 witha R617FASST receiver.
JR 591 servos and a JR digitalmetal gear servo on the rudder.
engine is the GMS .47 II because I have it already and its brand new.
BCM Pitts style OS46 muffler In cowl
Power comes from a Hyperion LiFePO4 6.6V 2100mAhr receiver pack, unregulated.

The instructions are so easy to follow, and written in good english

Theres even a Black Horse catalogue in the box , just to tempt you some more

again, pics to follow.</p>
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Black Horse Extra 300s .46 size

Watch the hinges! In many cases they are pinned yes... but no glue!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 AM

pictures ????
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM

patience young paduwan. Taking pics as I build. Will upload a few tonight.Plenty glue in the hinges. I have to remove some excess!Engine is mounted, wings assembled, tailplane fitted pitts bolted in place.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM

Two days from box to air. The BH Extra 300S .46 took to the air today. I handed the Tx over to a much more experienced member of my club to fly her as I was not comfortable with the CoG. I worked till 5am Sunday morning reworking the CoG but ran out of time.

Anyway she's down in one piece. flies great, club mate was very complimentary on the over all flight performance once he was used to the really sensitive sticks; not enough Expo, CoG too far back at 10.7cm (manual says 10cm max.

Calculated ideal to be 9.8cm to working towatd that figure now.

The build Pic's are downloading off my camera. No flight images though , for got to charge the battery in the ee hours of this morning while I was finishing her off.
Next week I take her to Swellendam, with CoG fixed...
Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Two days from box to air. The BH Extra 300S .46 took to the air today. I handed the Tx over to a much more experienced member of my club to fly her as I was not comfortable with the CoG. I worked till 5am Sunday morning reworking the CoG but ran out of time.

Anyway she's down in one piece. flies great, club mate was very complimentary on the over all flight performance once he was used to the really sensitive sticks; not enough Expo, CoG too far back at 10.7cm (manual says 10cm max.

Calculated ideal to be 9.8cm to working towatd that figure now.

The build Pic's are downloading off my camera. No flight images though , for got to charge the battery in the ee hours of this morning while I was finishing her off.
Next week I take her to Swellendam, with CoG fixed...

Sooo the " patient young paduwan "

was RIGHT about asking later for pictures.

Anyway,
i thought we might have a good chance for finding more info on such *rare* airframes,buttt...

I hope you enjoy your Extra as much as i do with my hangar ! [8D]
Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 AM

ok lets see if this works:You HAVE to get one of these Hyperion EOSSentry battery load test and condition monitorif want to know how much capacity your Lithium or Nickelflight battery pack has. It accomodates up to 7cells and for Lithium packs will sho you the overall voltage under load, each cell under load and the variance between max cell votage in the pack and the min cell votage in the pack + it provides capacity as a % of the total, i.e it gives AVAILABLE CAPACITY. An absolute must have in my view.

The Completed Black HOrse Extra 300s .46. Yes its the wrong way round on the CGmachine but its not as photogenic from the bottom.

the pic of the box shows the compact size of the package. Fits into a VW hatchback nicely.

The SErvo tray is populated with JR 591 servos and 8301 digital on the rudder.
Battery ios now moved forward as shown in the pic..

Receiver is R617FS FASST, what a pleasure, no aerials running down the fuse or outside the plane.

Spinner is Dubro. I opted not to use the supplied (although Iprefered the bullet shape of the OEM one) due to it not having a grip area for the engines drive shaft The Dubro also kept the cowl to Spnner gap small. Its a 2&amp;1/4 inch spinner. A 2.5" spinner doe snot look out of place.

the colour is a sort of Marlboro red. not scarlet as I originally thought.
there was not much to reinforce, since all the seams were glued completely. No gaps at all. Tonight I will take some pics of the Engine bay as I now have my own allen wrench to remove it.I borrowed one yesterday for the maiden flight.
Upon reflection the instructions are actually quite good if a lacking in verbage. the pictures show whats required but perhaps this ARF is not ideal for a first ARF. then Again the Extra is not a beginners plane. I found the level of information to be ideal for my level of knowledge and experience.

Oh before anyone asks, yes that is fuel tubing holding the tail wheel in place. Fuel tubing is a woinderfully versatile product. Its light, it's dirt cheap, and it fits snug on 4mm or 4-40 axle shafts so you don't need collets. It can hold 4mm wing bolts in place when the wing is off so you don't forget them at home and its wonderfull for preventing your landing gear bolts from vibrating lose. Just slip it over the protruding bolt on the inside of the fuz and presto, no need for loctite. Just make sure you scre it down till it impacts the blind nut. The best $2 you'll ever spend - fuel tubing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89325.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1476941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10405.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	1476942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29009.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1476943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54591.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1476944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63440.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1476945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17326.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1476946  
Old 08-03-2010, 04:08 AM

Got her balanced out now at 97mm from leading edge next to fuse. Manual calls for 100mm so I'm close. If anything she'll be a little more stable, if just a little.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM

Flies great!!
but heck the roll rate is going to take some getting used. It's a sweat in the landing pattern due to desire to roll when you tell it so it needs a light  touch and around 50% Expo.

Bare in mind I'm onlyflying for 5months so this is huge jump for me having  only flown line control last when i was between 7 to 10yrs old.

more updates as I work on her and smooth out issues.

ah one thing modified the wheel pants with Sullivans Wheel pant brackets. What a godsend those little brackets are!</p>
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Something strange has occured. I ahd a deadstick with her on Saturday. The engine was running just fine in the Stik, never had a deastick on that airframe.
The GMS .47 runs fine with the cowl off, but fit the cowl and suddenly its a different animal. This was only the GMS 12th flight so its just about run in

It starts pretty fast with the start, even on idle trim down she'll rev for a few seconds and then settle but gradually loose RPM, then splutters and dies.

If I reve her up to full throttle she will transition just fine,but throttle back to idle and and leave her there for 20secs and then throttle up and she cuts out... Have not changed any settings.
Running 10% Omega and an OS#8 plug.

ANy tips pointers, ides here?
Cooling is more than adequate but I have not installed baffles in the cowl. The BCM Pitts muffler sts behind the chin inake in teh cowl so it is seeing cooling airflow cleanly (here could be some aerodynamic effect starving it)

I am going to try it on factory settings again tonight and retune from there

???
Old 10-21-2010, 07:14 AM

Alright, after a few weeks of not bothering with the Extra I decided a few weeks ago to tackle her anf get her airborn.
The engine issues I resolved in 30 sec by simply turning in the low speed needle 10min. It was clearly to rich on the low end. It runs fantastically well now. Smooth transision from idle to full power even after idling for 5min. Still a bit rich on the top end but this evngine does not have more than 3hours on it yet so not well run in, still a little tight on the spinner flip.

It flies great. Vertical is not unlimited - engine is not fully run in and plane is still a little heavy at 2712gr.

CG is a bit of an issue. I could not get it too balance on the CG machine so I whipped out the calculator and digital scale. Assembled according to the manual the CG she comes out at 99mm from the leading edge. Manual says 100mm. Close enough.

I flew her and she was a little too sensitive for me yet.
SO I moved the battery to the top of the fuel tank under the cowl. CG is now 91mm and she flies great. She pulls out of a dive toward the canopy but very gradually and only toward the bottom of the dive.so I think th CG does need to move a little further rearward. Inverted flight seems to confirm this as she requires a bit of down elevator to hold the inverted flight.
Thrust is ok.

I can save some grammes of weight by fitting a plastic spinner and replacing the JRDS8301 on the rudder with a Futaba S3010.
JR servo's just seem heavier and slower than my Futaba's. Anyone else found this?

Landing is a piece of cake since she responds to the elevator even at very slow speeds and the stall is quite predictable and straight ahead, just drops the nose. No nasty tip stall to the side.

I can't compare to a Giles 202 but Stall turns are dead simple rolls are super fast and Snap rolls are predictable.

I need to work on the wing weight because in a loop she always drops a wing.

I am super stoked with the build quality and strenght seems fine. Just don;t deadstick and drop it in long grass, the gear WILL be riped out.

With a more forward CG it handles easy. I'll report again once I move it back to the 100mm recommended from LE.

This is a fantastic ARF. Its wel made and flies like it cost as  much as an aeroworks
Old 10-26-2010, 05:54 AM

right so after another 10 flights on Saturday and sorting out the right thrust and down thrust, I'll have to do it all again.
1 x GMS 47 Mk II with 25 flights on it out, 1 x Irvine 53 MkII (madein UK) in.

On goes the 12x5 APC in the box 12x6 and 12x 7 APC.

The GMS is runnng super reliable and the Extra is flying sweetly but the vertical lines are just too short and the 11x6 does not look too scale. It needs more prop and therefore I need more engine.
not sure what I'm going to do with the GMS just yet but I'm thinking that Shoestring or Sundowner 50 may be just the ticket. My OS 46 Ax in one of those and the GMS into the Escapade should do nicely.

More pics coming up soon off the engine swop over. Still deciding if I leave the Bisson Pitts or fit a MACS tuned pipe...
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 AM

Right so the Irvine didn;t work out. Turns out the club mare I bought it from tried a pull a dirty on me by sellingme a "new" engine with a completely shot to hell lower conrod bearing.
So in goes a O.S 55AX.
I've been promised my money back on the Irvine by I won't hold my breath. I may just keep it and have it repaired  but it will be the most expensive Irvine 53 in existence.

OS 55AX fits neatly under the cowl and I only need to drill a 3mm hole for the needle valve extension to exit.
Flight report and perhaps a video after the weekend
Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 AM

Do you have any pics of the Irvine ?

Can we see the damage ?

I liked my Irvine 53MK2 from day 1st...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91936.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1526551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64596.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1526552  
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM

Will take some pics of the insides tonight. Basically it appears that the engine only had a bout 10 flights but those were 10 really bad flights in a very lean condition.
the big end bushing is shot to hell to the etent tha if you flip the prop, there is a knocking sound inside the engine as the conrod smacks the big end bearing on the crankshaft.
NAturally I am far from pleased.

There is a guy in Prretoria *****pairs these engines. IF it was just a new conrod I'd be fine with that but I suspect it may require a new liner and pistonas well which really makes the cost of repair prohibitive vs a new engine. Mine is the Mk I with the Irvine carb on it.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:07 PM

update: i acquired an OS 55aX. I performed the run in and took the Extra through a couple of flights today. Running it rich it hauls the mail in this bird.Superb vertical (just to check thrust line) and superb throttle response already.I moved the battery to the cg point 100mm inside the LE. Very managable flight characterisitcs.This Extra is currently eased into favourite bird position, edging out the Escapade.