Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vector Flight Sukhoi

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vector Flight Sukhoi

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 02:52 PM
beardking
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vector Flight Sukhoi

Well, my wonderful wife bought me a Saito 91 for my birthday and now I'm trying to figure out what to throw it into. So far I have only had 40 size planes. I outgrew my trainer the day it had a midair collision with a big black bird. I have a GP Ultimate Bipe, an H9 UltraStick 40 (love that plane), and am currently building a GP RV-4. I was looking at the Vector Flight Sukhoi as a possible home for the new Saito, but other than it looks good, I don't really know much about this type of plane. This would be my first truly aerobatic type plane and I want something that's going to be moderately forgiving and yet fun as well. Any suggestions guys? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Calflyer

Well, I have the Vectorflight Edge and the two Extras and they are incredibly well made and fly terrific. Customer service is one of the best I have seen. I definately recommend them.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:24 PM
beardking

How do they handle. Would me moving up to something like this be a little over my head? Also, on this size plane would I still be able to use standard servos or would I need to move up to higher performance ones? I'm not looking to do any major hot dogging yet.
Old 07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Calflyer

They handle very neutral and fly like on rails. I am sure the hard skin wings contribute to this. No bad stalling habits and no mushing thru the air, excellent slow flight, and yet go fast when asked. Aerobatics are excellent, I like their reasonably large control surfaces. I have standard servos on all including the 66 inch Edge as Vector recommends, and get very good aerobatic response. Keep the dual rates handy at first, as these airplanes are responsive. Excellent values!
Old 07-25-2003, 04:48 PM
beardking

Thanks man, I appreciate the info.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:44 PM
David_Moen

I just received my 66" Extra this morning. I can't beleive I'm still at work!
Old 07-25-2003, 05:46 PM
beardking

SICK DAY!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2003, 06:41 PM
David_Moen

Well, as the owner, it would be a bit of a bad example! I have had a look at the bits though and I am impressed! Nice finishishing, pushrods installed with Z-bends in the fuse and Sullivan metal clevises at the other end. Holes are provided with blind nuts on all the control surfaces for Du-Bro (I think) heavy duty control horns, pre-cut aileron push rods. A spare canopy in case I fubar the first one, the wings seem incredibly light as well. Assembly time should be minimal.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:13 PM
cootertwo

Beardking, you won't find a better company to deal with than Vector Flight. I too have their Edge 540 and the 58" version of the Extra 300S. But I wanted to say that I have a 40 sized Sukhoi, of unknown manufacture, with a 61 Super Tigre engine on it. It was my first Sukhoi, and the really neat thing I noticed on the very first flight, was how they stay where they are pointed! You must pay attention at all times! If you're flying straight and level, whatever control input you give it, will take the opposite to bring it back to level flight. The Sukhoi is no self righting bird. But a real blast to fly, once you get over the shaking thumbs thing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	96458_37178.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	55226  
Old 07-25-2003, 11:07 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Cootertwo,
I think your Sukhoi is an early Cermark. I had one also and couldn't figure out who made it either. Finally did though, if I remember it was a Cermark. You are correct about being on the ball with it, it snaps worse than a Cap232 if your controls are too high and fast. Just keep the speed up until you get the hang of it and it will treat you right. I was a slow learner.

Name:	96497_29814.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	55227  
Old 07-25-2003, 11:13 PM
twostroker

I'm not saying they all fly like the Sukhoi I had but it was a bit of a handful in a novice hand. If memory serves me this one had bad reviews...ummm.

Name:	96498_29814.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	55228  
Old 07-26-2003, 12:42 AM
Calflyer

Check this one from from Vectorflight's website. Looks great.
http://www.vectorflight.com/Sukhoi60inchARF.html
Old 07-26-2003, 10:28 AM
cootertwo

twostroker, thanks for the info, that is definitely my plane. I also have another early Cermark Sukhoi, but it is different? Looks more like your first picture. I haven't put it together yet, as I was disappointed in the quality. I have to cut a couple of pieces loose and re-glue them straight, and the covering stinks. I wish the blue one could talk and tell me where it's been. I bought it at my LHS. It was on consignment with another one identical. Numbers "1" and "2". Both had OS >50 MAX engines in them. I got mine for $200 with an old gold case Futaba. Still fly's to this day, just been patched a few times, so it now needs a .61 to haul all that epoxy around! Ha!

Name:	96619_37178.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	55229  
Old 07-26-2003, 11:10 AM
twostroker

Can't remember the wing span, but it was a 60 size. I had a .91 4-cycle on mine and it still wasn't enough. What is the span on yours.
Those Vector Flight Sukhois look awesome, and the price is right. I think it will be my next plane just because that size Sukhoi is hard to find. Even though I'm trying to get into bigger planes this one will have to be in the hanger.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:24 AM
cootertwo

Twostroker and Beardking.... Got a better picture of what I now know is a Cermark Sukhoi. Mine fly's OK with the Super Tigre .61 on it, but they are a handful. I like the way they stay pointed wherever you have them pointed, but you must PAY ATTENTION at all times! Almost not fun, but fun, know what I mean? I'm also SURE that Vector Flight's version of the Sukhoi is a fine plane, as I have their Extra 300S, and their Edge 540, and they are my two favorite planes!

Name:	96998_37178.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	55230  
Old 07-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

As a great alternative you might also consider a Yellow Aircraft 60 size Sukhoi.I bought one last year from them,was only 249.00 & the quality was outstanding.Very durable light construction with fiberglass cowl(with scale louver vents) fiberglass stab tips & smoked canopy.It is covered in the breitling eagle scheme which is a scale team scheme over in europe & it absolutely sweet looking & highly visible to boot.I myself being a avid rc jet flyer can say that YA offers just about the best quality around esp. dollar for dollar.I can highly justify spending the extra money on this plane from YA over other choices out there.Mine unfortantly met an untimely demise when a bonehead turned his radio on without checking the board.

Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Beavis
My Feedback: (19)

Greetings,

How does the polycarbonate used on the cowls, bally pans, and wheel pants of VectorFlight planes compare with fiberglass?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:21 AM
Calflyer

No problems, have actually lasted better than many fiberglass cowls I have had. One cowl broke on a cartwheel landing on hard pavement, but that was expected. Other two are original equipment, incluing one now 2 years old, with no signs of giving up, even after much abuse.