RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   ThunderTiger Rare Bear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1665626-thundertiger-rare-bear.html)

Frag 05-04-2004 07:52 AM

RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Desert Toad, did your TT Rare Bear arrive yet from Quantum Models?

DagoNbr6 05-04-2004 08:35 AM

I hear ya dagoNbr4

MANFRED 05-04-2004 08:37 AM

I agree with you that Magnum engines do run, and a few actually run well, I know I've owned and do currently own and operate Magnums. But come on quit deluding yourself, the magnums have at least 20 to 25% less power than either OS or Saitos of the same CC. To compare OS with magnums is just not fair, sure they run and will tow your crate around and maybe continue to run during the duration of the flight, just as a moped will get you to your destination as well, would you want to get caught dead riding on one? All around OS takes the ring, less power than YS but a lot easier to operate in the long run, a bit more power than Saito and a hell of alot easier to break in and start, not as cheap as Magnums but alot more reliable and powerful. Sure they save a little money, but please don't convince newbies to four stroke power that Magnums are the way to go, once they've spent days trying to find airleaks, loose tappets, and the all too famous separating muffler on the 120 which falls off in flight and can never be found, then the $50 to $100 difference in price may seem like a small price to pay for reliability and peace of mind.

ORIGINAL: LDM

i was not going to get involved because I personally dont like the Plane but just a fact , Magnum engines are desinged and enginered by a key enginer that was with OS . So the quality and thought process is the same or better , I have personally purchased the OS based on every OS snob telling me that it was the only engine in existence . Then when visiting Southen Cal i stopped in a Hobby Shack now hobby People and talked to an old timer RC pilot .He gave me the facts and I tried one and have never gone back . For the record I can afford much better the Os so its not a cost issues , its a feature and benifits issue VS marketing and advertising issues . I was fooled the same way with Robart gear , went with the GURUs suggestions on Robart , now for 120 size planes and under I only but century . Ya I know there are a ton of post on both companies, again just put them side by side compare the cost and do a benifits/features analysis and see the one that wins .

LDM 05-04-2004 05:33 PM

MANFRED . I suggest you keep marketing Os and I will keep being honest , as far as newbees Ithink they prefer honesty over history .When I see a comparison on engines done by a non partison source on engine performance I will but the winner . So far all I have seen is so called experts , and magizine reviews done by none other then people who gain huge ad dollars from Os . Remember I am not knocking OS and there quality or perfomance , all I am say is that its over rated in the Value to cost relationship to other brands . This is a common issues in marketing . As far as mopeds , personally I am secure enought to ride a pink bike so the moped comparison makes no sence to me

sbaugz 05-05-2004 08:54 PM

Seems like a few of you guys are getting a little off topic in this discussion. Maybe you should take your ranting and raving over to the engines forum.

BasinBum 05-05-2004 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Frag

Desert Toad, did your TT Rare Bear arrive yet from Quantum Models?
Yea, I'm waitin to hear the answer to this also.

DagoNbr6 05-05-2004 09:31 PM

What's up desert toad where is it?

jbrundt 05-06-2004 06:50 AM

Desert Toad you should have gotten your plane by now.................................

BasinBum 05-06-2004 08:37 AM

Maybe it should be Desert Load.

Backwing 05-06-2004 10:40 AM

I just checked Towers site and it said that the Rare Bear won't ship till mid June.

P-51B 05-06-2004 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Uh Oh! Could this be the toad?

Desert Toad 05-06-2004 11:16 AM

Well I'm still getting through the heartbreak, denial and embarressment stages.

But when the wife said "you got ship confirmation from Quantum" I said Yeehaw!

And it didn't show for a few days.

Lesson learned - UPS has started somthing call "Quantumnotify". Tell ya when your package ships. But it just weren't my package.

So now we wait.....

TLH101 05-06-2004 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Desert Toad

Well I'm still getting through the heartbreak, denial and embarressment stages.

But when the wife said "you got ship confirmation from Quantum" I said Yeehaw!

And it didn't show for a few days.

Lesson learned - UPS has started somthing call "Quantumnotify". Tell ya when your package ships. But it just weren't my package.

So now we wait.....
Oooh, that's going to leave a mark!;)

Frag 05-06-2004 01:20 PM

I was gonna be ticked if you already got one while I had to wait 2 months![:@]
Sorry you had your hopes up Toad:eek: It'll be worth the wait I think. Oh, by the way I do appreciate the tip about Quantum Models having them for order. I saved about $30.00 by switching my order from Tower. I just assumed they were so huge that they had the best prices..guess not.

Desert Toad 05-06-2004 01:28 PM

Yeah, and Quantum gives free shipping on orders over $100.

Yeah, if I had gotten one, what would it be worth on ebay...hehe.

DT

DagoNbr6 05-06-2004 07:46 PM

Thanks for letting us all down Desert Toad. Quantum Models must be shipping them airmail in the belly of a Bearcat. If they would have used a P-51 it would be there by now. hehe. See you on the race course slow poke.

DagoNbr4 05-06-2004 11:12 PM

Sorry for your loss (I guess you really can't lose what you didn't have). Move on....go team Dago....

Desert Toad 05-06-2004 11:15 PM

Yeah, bring your faster plane, Dago - that would be your Skymaster, wouldn't it?

Oh, and don't forget your new ice chest!

DagoNbr4 05-06-2004 11:19 PM

Skymaster...non-existant Rare bear.....Hum.....

DagoNbr6 05-07-2004 08:28 AM

IT must be the stealth model of Rare Bear. How do you know when to turn left when you can't see it.

Crash Master 05-07-2004 08:24 PM

I am curious. If ya'll think that Tower's $335 is toooo much, what do you think is reasonable for this particular ARF? Would a price in the $279 area be more appealing?

Thanks,

Kmot 05-07-2004 09:13 PM

Knock another $50 bucks off and then it will be appealing... ;)

thomp896 05-09-2004 01:13 AM

So, are there any reviews out there? That plane is screaming Saito 180 to me. Has anyone seen one and what engine will fit up front etc? Steve

Cyclic Hardover 05-09-2004 01:24 PM

$250 would be reasonable but even then a bit stiff with no retracts. They are trying to make a buck off the name "Rare Bare." I am not going to knock the quality of this thing nor the flight performance. Sorry but not worth the price. There is better available. [sm=thumbdown.gif]

ORIGINAL: Crash Master

I am curious. If ya'll think that Tower's $335 is toooo much, what do you think is reasonable for this particular ARF? Would a price in the $279 area be more appealing?

Thanks,

hattend 05-09-2004 02:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Desert Toad

Sounds like you shouldn't have ordered from Tower.

Ordered mine from Quantum and it shipped yesterday.

But I'm still deciding on the powerplant, was thinking maybe my Supertigre G-75, but it looks to be a heavy plane and I just want speed. Flew an Ultrastik 40 with a Jett 90, that was pretty fast....
disregard...I should have scrolled down.

Still waiting on mine from Quantum.

I see a guy in Louisiana has 5 of them for sale on ebay, so he is either a fake or they are finally in the states.

Don

hattend 05-09-2004 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: BoGo

They are trying to make a buck off the name "Rare Bare."
Well, until they get the trademark thing worked out, they may have to market it as "a Bearcat that races at Reno".

When the ads first came out, I was wondering about the trademark thing. I knew the name "Rare Bear"tm was a registered trademark. I hope they get it worked out as the Rear Bear team could use the royalties and I'm sure it'll sell pretty well.

If they don't get the tradmark thing worked out, I hope Lyle Shelton doesn't kick me out of the hangar when I take mine to Reno for autographs :)

Don
Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

DagoNbr6 05-09-2004 06:48 PM

Hattend what is the ebay item number? I can't find them on ebay.

hattend 05-09-2004 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: fastfastdago

I'll have to check in my work computer history on Monday. I can't find it now at home, so it was either a fake or maybe the auction is over. It listed as having 5 available and there were no bids at the time I saw it. I checked the guy's ratings and it was 98% favorable so I have to assume it was a good offer.

I'll update this post tomorrow if I can find it again.

Don

hattend 05-09-2004 07:08 PM

Here's an update I got from a pretty reliable source. It is all hearsay so take it with a grain of salt until confirmed.

The reason the Rare Bear plane is delayed is they HAVE worked out a deal with Rare Bear Racing Team and they are getting the most recent (2004) graphics put in the ARFs to match the plane. They (TT/ACE) may also be a corporate sponsor of the plane! WooHoo! If true, I am really going to try to spend my money on TT and ACE stuff ... LOL!

Don Hatten
Rare Bear Fan Sponsor 2002/03/04

Frag 05-09-2004 08:45 PM

I wish they'd hurry it up! my Vector Flight Sukhoi-31 is getting kinda ragged

blw 05-09-2004 08:49 PM

Frag,

Does Jeff Jeffords fly at your club? I noticed that you are in Fayetteville.

B.

Frag 05-10-2004 08:04 AM

I fly at the Flying Griffins field just south of Fayetteville. I don't know Jeff, maybe he flies at the Peachtree Flyers club near Fayetteville..

hattend 05-10-2004 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: fastfastdago

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...192135341&rd=1

Ended on Saturday - "The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the listing. "

He must have realized he wasn't going to get any yet :D

Don

Desert Toad 05-10-2004 06:57 PM

Add the 20 bucks for shipping and it's 299 just like Quantum, who has free shipping, and probably better customer service.

DT

DagoNbr6 05-10-2004 07:58 PM

Desert toad seems to be getting a little distraught over his plane not arriving yet. But I do agree the guy from Quantum is the man. I have ordered from there before and they have alot better customer service than Tower. Does John Penny come with the kit to test fly it the first time?

Frag 05-11-2004 09:59 AM

[sm=lol.gif] So how many folks here have ordered their Rare Bear? I know Desert Toad and I have so thats at least 2..

hattend 05-11-2004 10:14 AM

Frag 05-11-2004 08:21 PM

Looks like its gonna be a big hit!:eek:

DagoNbr4 05-11-2004 10:20 PM

I'll probably have to get one as well....unless anyone knows of anyone coming out with a Sea Fury ARF....

Desert Toad,

You don't mind if I paint it up with the Dago Scheme do you? Doesn't look like your going to get her flying by memorial day. Have anything else ready?

Desert Toad 05-12-2004 02:44 PM

I don't think you or brother Dago should be allowed to get one.

I've been rooting for the bear, even though it's the underdog in Reno, but you two just root for the winner.

And now you think you deserve the ARF? Sheesh....

MissA, and the Freestyle will be around. Maybe put the gear back in the PBXL....or say to heck with it and go to the lake.