RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   ThunderTiger Rare Bear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/1665626-thundertiger-rare-bear.html)

DagoNbr6 05-12-2004 07:47 PM

RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I think I'll get one too. I didn't know they were coming out with a trainer for pylon racing. It would be good to warm up with before flying the real race planes. Pushing a box car around the poles would be challenging though.

DagoNbr4 05-13-2004 01:17 AM

Desert Toad,

I just like to root for someone who is actually in the race...Oh the bear did race last year (kindof)....my bad....

Anyway...hopefully you'll get her soon....Let us know when you do so the "Dago Brothers" can get their orders in....

Starting to blow the dust off a couple of the toys....Looking forward to the big M day get together....

DagoNbr4 05-13-2004 01:32 AM

Desert Toad,

Oh forgot to mention something.....couldn't believe what happened today....out in the backyard and heard a very loud noise inside the house....when I got in the house I found that my "Bear Beer" #243/500 signed by Lyle etc. exploded all over the dinning room....and I mean all over (maybe it didn't like the conversations I've been having with you on this forum).....no kidding...couldn't believe it!!! That was a $20 donation to your plane down the drain....

DagoNbr6 05-13-2004 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: DagoNbr4

Desert Toad,

Oh forgot to mention something.....couldn't believe what happened today....out in the backyard and heard a very loud noise inside the house....when I got in the house I found that my "Bear Beer" #243/500 signed by Lyle etc. exploded all over the dinning room....and I mean all over (maybe it didn't like the conversations I've been having with you on this forum).....no kidding...couldn't believe it!!! That was a $20 donation to your plane down the drain....

That's not a good sign, could it be an omen of things to come. Mine didn't have a chance to blow up because I drank it and just kept the bottle.As I recall it gave me heartburn. Maybe TUMS should sponsor the bear. DagoNbr4 could you please tell me who broke the 500 mark last year in the gold race?

hattend 05-13-2004 07:44 PM

Don't feel bad, I had one of my bottles blow up about a month ago. Apparently while we were on vacation the house got a little hot so the bottle blew up. Still have 3 bottles in the fridge and the signed lable of the broken bottle was salvagable.

Don Hatten
Rare Bear Fan Sponsor.

Desert Toad,

DagoNbr4 05-13-2004 07:54 PM

What did you use to save the label....was trying to come up with a way of doing that without fading it etc...how were you able to salvage yours?

DagoNbr4 05-13-2004 07:55 PM

Sorry..that last post was supposed to be for hattend....

DagoNbr4 05-13-2004 08:00 PM

Fastfastdago,

I do believe the only 500+ MPH lap speed to date (set last year at 504MPH if I remember correctly) was a Red Mustang...but I can't seem to remember the name. Can you refresh my memory?

Desert Toad,

You might recall who that was....

hattend 05-13-2004 08:00 PM

The label was still moist so we peeled the broken glass off the back and then pressed it onto a picture frame glass and then epoxied another piece of glass on top (epoxy on the edges, not on the lable). Came out great, will it fade? I have no idea, just keep it out of florescent and sunlight, should be fine.

You could also go to a craft store and get some Decopage (sp) which is used to laminate paper/cloth onto wood for home made decorations...it was popular in the 70's and 80's don't know if it's available today.

Don

DagoNbr4 05-13-2004 08:08 PM

hattend,

Thanks for the advice....will give it a try....

Sounds like you've been to Reno yourself. We've all enjoyed them for the last 25-30 years as well....

DagoNbr6 05-13-2004 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
bottle 401/500 here.

Dear desert load;
You stated that "I've been rooting for the bear, even though it's the underdog." I thought you always rooted for "Miss America". Is your last name Kerry. Did you vote for the 87 billion before you voted against it?

hattend 05-13-2004 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

hattend,

Thanks for the advice....will give it a try....

Sounds like you've been to Reno yourself. We've all enjoyed them for the last 25-30 years as well....
Yeah, I've been going since my dad took me in 1971. Wish I could say I have made it every year but I was in the military and sometimes couldn't make the trip. I have 12 pins on my hat so...must be about that many times at least.

I'm a big fan of the Rare Bear and hope it can stay healthy through Sunday this year. Dago is tough to beat, but then it hasn't been pushed recently. :D

See you there, Here's what I look like plus a pic of my wife...she was picking up the beer for me and got to see RB qualify (made her a fan! Woohoo!):

hattend 05-14-2004 01:40 PM

fastfastdago,

Is that an ARF or did you build it? I'm slowly building up a "squadron" of Reno Racers. Hope to have them all before I die.

I have Royal Bearcat finished as Pardue's Bearcat. Just needs graphics (and, sad to say, has been that way for 4 years - other things keep coming up)
I have a ModelTech ARC Mustang which, after some mods, will become Dago Red
I have a Royal Bearcat that was going to be turned into Rare Bear, but with the ARF coming out, looks like I'll do Conquest One instead
I have a GP Mustang and Lear Jet that will become Miss Ashley 2. Not as scale as the others but should be cool anyway
I have a Top Flite P-39 which will be Mr Mennen
I have 2 TF Sea Fury kits - one for Critical Mass and the other for September Pops
Hope to get a G&P Tigercat for Big Boss Man

Like I said...hope to get them done before I'm dead (I'm a slow builder and get sidetracked by other projects very easily)...LOL

Don

DagoNbr4 05-14-2004 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hettend,

Here's a good one to add to your collection....

DagoNbr4 05-14-2004 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hettend,

Or if you like the old (sorry fastfastdago) scheme.....

hattend 05-14-2004 02:06 PM

Very Nice, that's the World Models ARF, right? I was looking at that but since I have the Modeltech P-51, I figured I would go that route. Now that I think about it, I may do Miss America out of the Modeltech ARC since it's closer to stock and get the Dago ARF. Hmmmm...gee thanks!

I forgot about the EZ Voodoo...gotta get one of those too

Don

hattend 05-14-2004 02:08 PM

Hettend,

Or if you like the old (sorry fastfastdago) scheme.....
I actually like the old "uncluttered" paint job better. I absolutely hated the new paint when I first saw it, but I guess it's growing on me.

Don

DagoNbr4 05-14-2004 02:09 PM

Hattend,

New Dago Is an EZ (i.e. Nbr4) and Old Dago Is World Models (Nbr6)....

DagoNbr4 05-14-2004 02:14 PM

I didn't like the new paint job either...but I've really come to like it a lot over time.....

EZ Voodoo would be a great plane!!! I was thinking about that one myself but already have 2 EZ Mustangs...

Finishing up on a world models Intruder 90 for memorial day weekend....looks to be very fast....

DagoNbr4 05-14-2004 02:23 PM

Have you started either of your TF Sea Fury's? I've had mine in the garage for over 2 years and finally sent it off to a friend to finish it for me. Really like the look of the Sea Fury's but just can't get the time to build one. Wish there was a high quality Sea Fury ARF out there....Would love to have a September Fury in the collection.....

hattend 05-14-2004 02:31 PM

I've gotten as far as redrawing the plans in pencil to get the correct line from cowl to cockpit on Critical Mass. I did start the tail feathers and then started on a project for a friend. It's been sitting for about as long as yours has.

Don't you hate that? LOL

Don

DagoNbr4 05-14-2004 02:42 PM

Hattend,

You'll have to clip about 3-4" off each wing tip to make a good Critical Mass......;)

hattend 05-14-2004 03:11 PM

Yeah, I was planning on just squaring off the tips. I don't intend these planes to be race ready, I'm still a sport flyer so I don't want to screw up the flying characteristics with a huge increase in wing loading. We'll see how it goes when I finally start working on them again. Maybe take a wing bay out. I did that with my Dago Red conversion of a TF Mustang back in the 80's. It wasn't too much of a handful. :)

I have a TF Corsair and a bunch of pics of "#1 Super Corsair" hmmmmmmm

Don

TLH101 05-14-2004 04:46 PM

I'm sure all you "Reno-Heads" have seen this site: http://warbirdaeropress.com/articles.../TaichiNew.htm
And this:
http://warbirdaeropress.com/photogallery.html

Desert Toad 05-14-2004 05:06 PM

Hattend,

If you're going to create them all, don't forget the soon to be newest entry: http://wildfireairracing.com/ looks to be very interesting to say the least.

DT

hattend 05-14-2004 07:41 PM

That Wildfire is one ugly airplane. I wish them all the luck on their black magic that will move all the air out of the way.

Don

Desert Toad 05-17-2004 11:23 PM

Hehe, good luck making that cowling.

Has anyone noticed that http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/ has become a sponsor on the http://www.rarebear.com website?

not to mention: http://aviationclassics.com/

DT

hattend 05-18-2004 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Desert Toad

Hehe, good luck making that cowling.

Has anyone noticed that http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/ has become a sponsor on the http://www.rarebear.com website?

not to mention: http://aviationclassics.com/

DT
Yep, see Post #69. Guess that confirms it.

Cool
Don

rare_bear 05-18-2004 09:54 AM

i agree - that (wildfire) really is an ugly looking plane.

bottom line - ~S~P~E~E~D~

have any of you guys received your TT-rarebear yet?

Frag 05-19-2004 09:42 PM

The TT Rare Bear ships mid June according to Tower. Quantum says the end of May.

Desert Toad 05-19-2004 11:11 PM

I was told by Quatum that if it shipped in May, it would be the very, very end of May.

rare_bear 05-25-2004 09:18 AM

desert toad,

i read that you are planning a YS110 in your arre bear.

hope to hear about your results somewhere down the road and what you ended up propping it with

Dago Red 06-01-2004 07:32 PM

Just go for a Dago Red ,Besides, Rare Bear lost Reno Last year, So there ya go, The Rare Bear is a good looking plane though, I liked the Green color scheme more than the gold.

However , This year will be harder on Dago Red, Rare Bear may, may not take the lead to the gold.

rare_bear 06-03-2004 01:00 PM

everyone's gotta dago red it seems.
kind of nice to see the rarebear hit the market (whenever the heck that will be)

besides, i've chipped in a few coins here and there so i figure that
i helped pay for a few spark plugs on the real thing - hehehehehee.

nice looking plane too... with that beautiful chrome 3 blade taken off a turbo prop.

(i agree with you on the color sceme - maybe deep purple with gold lace & burgandy trim would have looked better)

hattend 06-03-2004 01:23 PM

Hope you liked that 3 blader.

Rumor has it that Rare Bear will be sporting it's old 4-blader this year. It was on loan to Critical Mass but with Tom Dwelle retiring and CM without a driver (at this time) the Rare bear team has re-acquired their prop.

Gonna miss that unique sound as the Bear comes down the Valley of Speed and turned toward home. But if the 4 blader will give it another knot or two, then... Go for it! Push Dago till it breaks.

Don

rare_bear 06-06-2004 07:35 PM

hmmmmm... whatever gives it more speed will have to be used. i wonder if they have had an aerodynamicist calculate the speed/torque matching to the engine torque curve for each prop? gee, if they were loaded up with money, they could have a custom 3 blade made that would peak the performance... need a good wealthy sponsor. air racing just doesn't gather the sponsors the same way auto racing does.

well anyways, i would like to go to the races this year. i've never been to them. can you get tickets there on the spot or is this something that needs to be done in advance?

hattend 06-06-2004 07:49 PM

If you don't mind where you want to sit, you can get tickets at the gate. But the reserved seats are closer to the start finish line.

However, go to http://www.airrace.org/ticketPricing.php and buy your tickets on-line

See you there! (well, with 100,000 people there that's figuratively ;-)

Don

nitrous pete 06-07-2004 01:21 PM

First On Race Day !!!, YS is like Ford.
http://nitrous.com/ FAST

P-51B 06-07-2004 01:37 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrous pete

First On Race Day !!!, YS is like Ford.

Funny, I thought it stood for Funky Old Rebuilt Dodge.:D

Dago Red 06-07-2004 01:50 PM

First On Race Day !!!, but last to cross the finish line. Just a joke.

If they are using a 4 blade, a neat thing to do is to paint them all black, but leave one white, leaves a neat look to it when the engine is running.