RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Balsa Nova 120 ARF Help Needed. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/2701377-balsa-nova-120-arf-help-needed.html)

DDriver 02-26-2005 12:17 AM

Balsa Nova 120 ARF Help Needed.

I purchased a new Balsa Nova 120 ARF many months ago....summer 2004 from Morris Hobbies just after the new stock arrived.
My Big Box soon arrived in perfect condition with my dream model.
It's unbelievable, but it's still in the box due to the fact that - No Instruction Manual - as advertised on the Colourful Box Cover was sent!!

No big deal really.....I simply called Morris Hobbies and was told that they would get one out to me in the mail right away.

Weeks passed still no sign of manual.

I have called back on two further occasions and each time was promised the manual.
I am still awaiting manual to this day!!! I don't know where to go from here.

Can anyone help me out or suggest some way, some how, to get a instruction manual.

Morris very recently published the wing manual (incomplete at this stage...Stops at start of ailerons) in download PDF Format.
No fuse instructions anywhere yet!!

Any help would be most appreciated.

DDriver.

ICE 32 ICEMAN 02-26-2005 01:53 AM

RE: Balsa Nova 120 ARF Help Needed.

:eek:DDRIVER,
My appologies for Bob Kozak. I am the one who wrote the text for the JERRY'S BIG BOY and the BALSA NOVA 120 just a few weeks ago. There was an earlier manual for both but Lord only knows what Oriental dialect it was! I took each kit and spread out the contents of each box on my gameroom floor. I identified each part and each piece of hardware, etc. and made sure it was in the text of the manual. Bob put digital pictures in a Word format and had some printed. Last Summer (2004) some of the early kits made it out of the warehouse without a manual. (I wasn't there back then so don't bite my head off!) I still have the Word Format in my home computer and if you e-mail me using the e-mail or PM selectable in this thread I'll be more than happy to e-mail them to you ASAP. We have just received 4 shipping containers full of BN 120's, BN 40's, the all new JERRY'S BIG BOY ARF, MORRIS THE KNIFE, TOP CAP AND SUDOKHOI. The warehouse is stacked to the ceiling with these fine ARF kits and we are all trying not to let this happen again. I'm not sure why the website only contains the wing assembly but rest assured that all of it will be downloadable ASAP Monday February 28, 2005. Again, e-mail me and I'll fix you up personally. I'll also give you some tips to look for when building this bird. I'm powering my personal BN 120 with a Saito 180. We are also going to put a new MARK 135 on the SHOP BALSA NOVA 120. (MARK motors have been the name for what we all know as MOKI motors for over 30 yearsover in Hungary where they are made.) We just got a boatload of all sizes of MARKS last week. ( 15 rear intake/rear exhaust, 61 long stroke ringed, 61 ABC, 135 ringed glow, 180 ringed glow, 180 ringed gas ignition, and 210 ringed glow.) Check them out on the MORRISHOBBIES.COM website. If you have any further problem call me at the 800 number listed on the website or the box cover of the kit. I HAVE BUSY DAYS LATELY BUT I WON'T MAKE YOU WAIT ANY LONGER!!! I really want you to get this plane in the air and start smiling because of the way it flys!!
Thanks so much,
Terry Foote
Engineering Dept.
Morris Hobbies

Don M. 02-26-2005 06:19 AM

Terry, I just received a new MVVS 1.60 gasser and tuned pipe I want to put it in a Balsa Nova 120 ARF, is this an easy / recommended install, what would the approx weight be. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks ........ Don

DDriver 02-26-2005 08:56 AM

Hi Terry,

Just a note to say thanks for your much appreciated post reply.

I have sent you an email as per your request.

DDriver.

ICE 32 ICEMAN 02-26-2005 02:27 PM

Don,
We had a kit built BALSA NOVA 120 last Summer that fell victim to a brand new bad battery. It had an MVVS 160 gasser with a tuned pipe that was mounted inverted style. We started with 15-8, 16-8 and 16-10 APC props but ultimately went with 17-8 and 17-10 APC's. It seemed like no matter what prop we ran it wanted to over-speed and make a lot of prop tip noise. We also ran an 18-6. I take it back............. I remember some standard Zinger props on it too. I guess it's all going to depend on your plane, weight, etc. It flew great. Several of our TRI-COUNTY BARNSTORMER members got to twiddle the sticks and everyone liked it. The installation was simple to do. We used a tank from an ARF kit and changed out the rubber stopper to accomodate the gas fuel. I'll be in the office on Monday after lunch CDT. Give me a buzz.
Thanks,
Terry:)

ICE 32 ICEMAN 02-26-2005 02:31 PM

Hi Driver,
It's 1:30 P.M. Saturday afternoon and I'm looking up the manual in my Word file now. Coming to you!
Terry

DDriver 06-27-2005 11:17 AM

Hello all,

This may seem UNREAL.........but I am still without receipt of a Manual for my Morris BalsaNova 1.20 ARF, after been promised one by Morris Hobbies since February 2005.....that's 4 months ago!! I have called them several times with unfulfilled promises.

I am not sure whats happened to Morris Hobbies, but I haven't had any problems with them previously.

I am a total lost as what I have to do in order to obtain a manual.

My plane is still in the box since August 2004 complete but missing the manual.

I would like to hear from owners of this ARF.....perhaps someone out there can help me.
I am desperate & willing to pay for your old manual or perhaps a clean & complete photocopy.

ANY HELP will be very much appreciated.

Look forward to your comments, suggestions, advice or help.

DDriver.

ICE 32 ICEMAN 06-28-2005 12:49 AM

[X(]DDRIVER!!
Man I thought this was all put to bed way back then! After having all the trouble sending you one by e-mail I put one in a Morris Hobbies gray envelope and mailed it to you at the address you provided. I am presently a part time employee at Morris Hobbies until I get some issues taken care of at home. Contact me by e-mail and give me your address so I can verify it against the one I had on file. I will re-send another manual ASAP.
Terry

RCAddiction 06-28-2005 06:41 AM

I built mine over the winter with no manual. Photos were included with the ARF, and I requested the CG and control throws by email. Did not hold out much hope that one would be coming soon. I felt a bit deceived that the kit was shipped, with Morris knowing full well that there was no manual and one not coming any time soon. The Wing manual, CG and control throws have since been posted here:

http://morrishobbies.com/manuals.php...e3ed4854d35e8c

Wow, I am amazed the full manual is still not available after all of this time. For what it's worth, the plane flies great. I have a Wolf Predator 1.8 RI gas engine in mine, swinging a 19x8 MenzS.

DDriver 06-28-2005 04:46 PM

Hi RCAddition,

Thanks for your response.....at least I now know that I was not the only one missing the manual.

That link you mentioned takes you to the Morris Hobbies BalsaNova 1.20 ARF Manual.

Only the wing manual is available on-line and it is incomplete. When it gets to aileron installation....Blank.
Morris Hobbies needs to complete the Wing manual & then bring the Fuse Manual on-line.

Morris Hobbies should have updated & issued a complete manual since early 2005.
I wonder why the very long delay in doing so!!!!!

I hope they will make an effort to rectify the manual issue asap.

DDriver.

Pud 08-01-2006 06:09 PM

Hi folks,
I just got a new BalsaNova 1.20 delivered to me....and gues what, it is August 1'st 2006 and ...NO MANUAL!

C'mon Morris Hobbies, what gives....yea, it looks like it SHOULD be pretty straightforward to put together, BUT, what if I screw up some little simple thing, BECAUSE there is NO instructions?[:o]

Anybody have any "tips" to pass on?
Looks like a really fun plane, everything excellent, just no stinkin instructions(even pics would have been acceptable)

Appreciate any help! :D

Pud

Pud 08-03-2006 01:14 PM

Hey guys,
NO one here can give me info to build(ok, assemble) this plane??? [X(]
I really only need fuse/engine instructions....anyone??

Pud

RCAddiction 08-03-2006 07:13 PM

Pud, I built mine a long time ago and I'm not actively building now. Frankly, I didn't use any instructions. I've built so many ARF's that I honestly didn't need instructions. I was able to only use the photos since it really goes together like any other. My engine installation was not typical, and I extended the elevators by 1" to give more authority. If you need more help, I suggest you contact Morris Hobbies directly.

ICE 32 ICEMAN 08-03-2006 10:00 PM

:)Hey Pudster,
Let me open the 'ol archives and see if I have a copy of them somewhere. (I wrote the things and Bob Kozak @ Morris Hobbies is still seeing fit to NOT put them in every shipment!)
Terry

Pud 08-04-2006 02:44 AM

YOU 'DA MAN Terry! :D

Thank you!
Pud

ORIGINAL: ICE 32 ICEMAN

:)Hey Pudster,
Let me open the 'ol archives and see if I have a copy of them somewhere. (I wrote the things and Bob Kozak @ Morris Hobbies is still seeing fit to NOT put them in every shipment!)
Terry

mjws 08-12-2006 11:49 PM

The instructions I got were about 4 pages and no pictures. Pretty terse. That said the plane is extremely easy to put together. Wing instructions online are good.

Fuse is pretty much just mark position of the motor mount to keep your thrust line and center in cowl. Drill a couple holes install the blind nuts. Decide where you want to run the throttle rod. Drill the hole. Bolt the mount in. Measure distance for cowl, and drill the mount. Servo slots are all cut, just screw them in. Install the control horns so linkages will be straight. Pull pull rudder is simple, pass cables through, assemble the linkage, crimp them to size. I don't have any idea how they get the cable through those tiny crimps 3x... I couldn't do that. Chunk of foam, zip ties and a couple drops of CA and the fuel tank is in. I like velcro straps for reciever and battery when wrapped in foam. But lots of ways to do that. Horizontal stab is just centered, triangulated and supposedly CA's in I used a little epoxy for insurance. Install tail wheel tiller and hinge rudder and elevators. Gear just bolts right on.

The Fuse builds very fast. I didn't hit any gotcha's. I did put a panel in the back and my battery back there for balance, but that depends on motor choice. Putting the wing together and getting the pod shaped and aligned took the longest. Hingeing was painless. 3 night build if you push.

CG and throws are listed online and seem reasonable if not conservative. The surfaces aren't beveled deep enough to give extreme throws, imho. So I just went for max everywhere and softened it with rates on my radio. Turns out full throws are fine. You'll love this plane once you fly it. I'd probably mod the elevator and add a touch more aileron if flying more 3D with it. It grooves well, knife edge is dreamy, snaps and spins are predictable and nicely violent. Mine needs some tweaking to REALLY flatten out in a flat spin. Hover/Harrier type moves need excellent thumbs or some control surface tweaks imho. For general flying it is wicked.

I went with the MOKI 2.10 it balanced fine just moving the battery back. I may move the rudder servo as well and ditch the pull pull to get the CG back a little more. (I despise lead.) Fantastic plane. Could use a two piece wing.

Good Luck.

ICE 32 ICEMAN 08-17-2006 12:32 AM

Pud,
Use the PM function and send me an address. I have a hard copy of the instructions.
T.

Tim Taylor 09-16-2006 09:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The wing manual for the Balso Nova 40 is available on the Morris Hobbies website. I believe it's the same build as the big Balsa Nova. I used it when I had a couple questions about the wing. The Fuselage is a piece of cake. If you have any arf experiance you can build it without instructions. Also when I did my review I added a couple hints that might be useful. The review is on the Morris Hobbies website now. One thing that had me stumped for about three minutes was the fuel tank. It wouldn't go in upright or upside down. It took a few minutes to figure out it goes in sideways. Just turn the stopper so the exaust pressure port is up. Another helpfull hint would be on the Pull Pull cables. Push the cable through the crimp three times before crimping it and then add a drop of epoxy. I didn't pull it through three times on my Big Boy and almost lost the plane because of it. I took it apart and re-did the crimps.

Fire36 01-03-2007 01:24 PM

I have two BalsaNova planes. A .120 and a .40. Both came with an instruction book but both books are so so. I put a G-20 in the .120 and it flys great. The ignition batt. was so heavy that I had to add weight to the nose but it still came in under 10 pounds.

Don M. 01-03-2007 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's more proof that the BN 120 will fly good with any engine and at any weight. I started out with a MVVS 26cc and a tuned pipe 13.5 lbs. next was a Saito 270 twin, 16 lbs. including 18 ozs. of weight in the tail. Next was a Taurus 52cc 15.5 lbs. Next was a Brison 2.4, 13 lbs. It flew best with the Brison but all engines and weight were acceptable. My sentimental favourite was the 270 twin.

Tim Taylor 01-11-2007 01:25 PM

I ordered a replacement motor for my BN. It had a ST 2300 on it but every second or third flight was a deadstick. As much as I enjoy making everybody say 'Oh Oh' this was too many deadsticks. So it's getting a BCMA 26 gas engine. The BCMA is about the same size and weight as the ST with the exaust and ignition. Can't wait to get it in the air.

numb3rulz 02-04-2007 01:52 PM

Have you installed the BCMA 26 yet? If so how was the cg. I am working on the same set up and found that I nned to put the batteries back in the fuse behind the wing. Also I am going to try a APC 18x8w how about you?

Tim Taylor 02-04-2007 09:15 PM

No, it's here though. I've been working on getting the Bling finished with the bcma 62 on it. The ignition battery for the 26 will be just behind the cg to make up for the aluminium spinner and ignition module. The plane should only be about an ounce heavier than it is now.

Tim Taylor 02-25-2007 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's installed.
I put an 18x6 on it. Still waiting for the spinner. I ordered the wrong size the first time. I put the batter pack just behind the cg to offset the weight of the ignition module. Otherwise the engine is the same weight as the G-2300. I ended up butchering the intake side of the cowl a little but it's functional. I've been using the Great Planes gas engine kill switch but they have to be modified for use with this engine. The switchs, ignition, and battery have to be wired in series. I'm going to post something about this in the BCMS sig later.

Tim Taylor 03-04-2007 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally done. Now I only need to wait for the wind to drop down under 100 mph. It should start to drop in April or May.