RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5238504-new-pacific-aeromodel-clip-wing-monocoupe.html)

mobyal 05-30-2007 07:17 PM

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

Got mine yesterday. Have unpacked it and inspected it quickly. Based on that initial look, it seems to be well constructed and there are no wrinkles in the covering. None. A first for me. Robart-style hinges drilled and mounted on all the control surfaces, but not glued in place. A very simple and what appears to be a very effective wheelpant mount. Haven't checked out the hardware yet. The colors look very close to my Cox 1/5 Waco that I'm just now completing (If I ever get finished wrestling with THOSE gd wheelpant mounts!!!! [:@] [:@] !!!)
There's no instruction manual out. They told me it'd be available in a week or so and they'll send it to me. I'm not in any hurry as I have a couple of projects to finish up before I start on this one. I'm thinking of using an OS 160 or Saito 180 on it. Also have a Super Tigre 2300 waiting for a home.... I'll have to check the fit, weight and most particularly the balance, as there is very little nose moment, before I make a final decision.
Anyway, first impressions are very good.
Al

RCGARY 06-01-2007 05:28 PM

Ok.. here it is.....I got one of the clip winged Monocoupes from Pacific Aeromodels. The miniute I saw a picture of this plane, I had to go pick it up right from their warehouse. Here is what I think:
The plane went together with no issues whatsoever. Fun to build, everything was there and fit right! Great quality. This plane looks amazing in person.

I took the plane for it's maiden flight a few days ago. It fly's GREAT! The plane got up on it's main wheels quickly, and took off smoothly. It was a blast to fly. I didn't do much with it on the first day as you might imagine. It tracks great, responds well, and you couldn't tip stall this thing if you tried. The landing was a piece of cake. Cut the throttle, let it sink, gave it a tiny bit of throttle and let it land. The advertising is true. It lands like a trainer.

A few tips for what it's worth:

1. Balance the plane right around the wing tube (bar).
2. Set up your throws exactly the way Pacific Aeromodels recommends. You won't be sorry.
3. I have a Saito 1.80 FS mounted inverted in mine. It works great.
4. Use silicone on the landing gear fairings. Works good and they won't crack.
5. I chose to put the rudder servos in the back of the fuselage. Just a personal preference. They give you the option of this method or to put them inside the plane for a more scale look.
6. I set up the plane with flaperons. I was going to use them, but the plane was landing so well on approach, I never used this option. I will give it a try next time. I am guessing it will land even easier.

Bottom line is that I think this may be the best all around plane I have owned.

Enjoy!

RCGARY 06-01-2007 06:20 PM

One more thing....Thanks to Pacific Aeromodels for the great service. Very much appreciated!

mobyal 06-02-2007 07:07 AM

Great report. Thanks. Couple of questions --
Do you know the all-up weight? And how much, if any, nose weight did you have to add to make it balance?

RCGARY 06-02-2007 03:19 PM

I am not sure about the total weight. With the Saito 1.80 it took exactly ZERO nose or tail weighting. Mine did wind up taking about one ounce of weight on the right wing tip. I do have a pretty large 5 cell battery on the left side of the fuse. This may be the reason. But other than that, no nose or tail weight was required.

mobyal 06-02-2007 04:25 PM

THAT's good news, as I'm planning on a Saito 180 or a ST 2300. W/ no added weight it ought to be right on spec.
Thanks
Al

pettit 06-14-2007 07:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Clipped Wing Monocoupe just about ready to fly.

I'm using a FUJI 24EI gas engine and a Spektrum DX7 radio and 821 servos.

Finished weight is 13 pounds 4 ounces minus fuel.

It balanced perfectly at the spar with elevator servos at tail and rudder servo in cockpit.

But there's no @#$%^& wing area!!!

It should do just fine despite the fact that there is only 980 square inches of wing.

jrf 06-14-2007 09:49 AM

Petit:

There is a video on the website that seems to show it works just fine with no @$^^#$* wing area. ;)

Jim

mobyal 06-14-2007 10:05 AM

I raised the wing area issue early on in another forum. Was told by someone who said he'd flown the plane that it landed very well w/ 15 degrees of "flaperon". Plus the video -- sure looks like it'll fly well! We'l see. I'll probably start mine in a couple of weeks. From the unpacking and inspection it sure looks good.
Al

pettit 06-14-2007 10:08 AM

I was just making a joke. This is a hobby. We all deserve a good laugh now and then.

But that doesn't make the wing area any larger...

LOL

I'm sure it'll do just fine.

mobyal 06-14-2007 10:14 AM

Yep! And it doesn't!
Where will your review show up, Dick?
And will you give us at least a brief flight report here?
Thanks
Al

pettit 06-14-2007 10:16 AM

The full review will be in an upcoming issue of R/C REPORT but I'll let you know how it does as soon as the rain stops here and I get some time to fly the plane.

Hellcat716 06-14-2007 06:58 PM

Looks awesome. I just got mine and will be starting it shortly. Any modifications needed on mounting the Fuji engine? I have never had one so will be anxiously waiting your flight report. What prop are you using? Have you had much experience with Fuji engines? I assume it has electronic ignition. Good luck.

pettit 06-15-2007 05:52 AM

I had to make up some 3/4" standoffs to get the prop hub in the right place and the fuselage needed a little notch to clear the muffler.

Fuji engines are pretty good, decent power, relatively quiet.

I'm starting with an 18-6 but may drop back one size if necessary. Yes, electronic ignition.

pettit 06-20-2007 06:26 AM

Here's an update to the Addendum in the instruction manual.

(Guess who did it wrong?)

"The Monocoupe has a small amount of dihedral in each wing. This is
strictly for appearance, since a straight wing will appear to droop. Because
the aluminum wing joiner has this dihedral in it, it is possible to install it
upside down, and if it is installed upside down, the wing struts will not fit.
Please be sure that the aluminum wing joiner is installed with the dihedral
ā€œVā€ facing UP."

(Use a 36" metal ruler to find the "V". It's really there)

Hellcat716 06-20-2007 12:15 PM

Thank you. I haven't got to that point yet, but probably would have done the same thing.

Yak18 06-20-2007 01:48 PM

The short wings and lack of wing area are what makes this airplane special. I love it.

Yak

John_RedSox 06-20-2007 02:29 PM

Man, I'm on the fence with this plane. I have my eye on RCGuys big Decathlon and can't make up my mind. If I did go with the Monocoupe, I would power it with the OS 160 twin. Man, I need help!

jrf 06-20-2007 04:40 PM

For what it is worth, I have flown the Pacific Monocoupe, and I have flown a number of Decathlons, but not the RC Guys version. The Pacific Monocoupe is much easier to fly than any of the Decathlons I have flown. Good scale Decathlons like the RC Guys tend to require rudder to do almost anything. The Clipwing Monocoupe doesn't. The Monocoupe also does much better aerobatics.

Jim

pettit 06-22-2007 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put in 7 flights on my CW Monocoupe with a Fuji 24EI engine. While not truly 3D capable, it was sufficient power for all the aerobatics I tried.

Flapperons are sorta functional, but not as good as "real" flaps. The plane lands a little on the fast side but I'm still working to get the engine idle speed lower on landing.

It looks great in the air, though!

Hellcat716 06-23-2007 11:44 PM

Looks real good. I ran into a couple of problems today. One wing will only go on the aluminum spar half way and the other one will not go on at all. The landing gear fairings will not fit up tight to the fuselage even with opening up the slots. They slide on the gear real easy but still leave about a 1/8" gap between the fairing and the fuselage. Any soloutions you might have will be appreciated. What prop are using on the Fuji? Do you think the Brillelli 36cc engine would be to much for the Monocoupe?

pettit 06-25-2007 05:49 AM

Both my wings were tight until I worked them in and out a few times. Take the joiner off the fuselage and use it to "form" the openings in the wings.

I use an 18-6 wide blade APC turning about 7400 RPM. The 36cc engine may stick out a bit but it will fly it nicely at 1/3 throttle.

Hellcat716 07-03-2007 11:47 PM

Can you tell me where you mounted your receiver, ignition module and two battery packs? My two elevator servo's mounted in the tail with 18" extensions are a couple inches short of reaching the rudder servo. I think I have to mount the receiver somewhere aft of the rudder servo tray or get longer servo extensions. Thanks for any help in this matter.

pettit 07-05-2007 05:48 AM

I always custom assemble my own servo extensions and make then the length required.

I would not add another extension. Get one the correct length and use just one rather than 2 in series.

John_RedSox 07-05-2007 06:12 PM

Does anyone know if an OS120 four stroke engine will mount sideways? or will it be inverted?

Thank in advance for your help.

John