RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/5238504-new-pacific-aeromodel-clip-wing-monocoupe.html)

jrf 07-05-2007 06:34 PM

RE: New Pacific Aeromodel Clip Wing Monocoupe

The 1.20 will fit completely inside the cowl, so you can mount it any way you want. There is a cooling tunnel in the bottom of the fuselage, but there is also a cooling air exit all the way around the cowl/fuselage joint so that should not be an issue.

Jim

jrf 07-05-2007 06:40 PM

Hellcat, I think you need to maintain 8 inches or more between the ignition and the radio for a gas engine to prevent radio interference. That would mean the receiver, radio switch and radio battery can't go in front of the servos wouldn't it? It would also mean that the ignition, ignition switch and ignition battery should be as far forward as possible. At least that's the way I've always done it.

Jim

Hellcat716 07-05-2007 10:14 PM

You are absolutely correct. I was curious where he mounted his equipment since he had completed his installation, but I guess he does not want to tell me where his receiver and battery are mounted. I went ahead and made a couple mounting plates and attached them to a former aft of the rudder servo. This will give me the required distance from my battery and ignition module so I should not have and interference problem. Thanks.

pettit 07-06-2007 05:45 AM

I guess I missed that part of the question.

My receiver and batteries are mounted on the plywood tray where they are supposed to be.

Since I now use 2.4 GHZ equipment on all my test planes, I don't have to worry much about spacing of components.

mobyal 07-15-2007 12:34 PM

Anyone else flown theirs yet?

John_RedSox 07-15-2007 04:52 PM

Mine should be ready to go in a couple of days. I'm using a Saito 180 and it should have plenty of power. Most likely will have to use throttle management. The build is straight forward with no hidden problems.

B Shipp 07-16-2007 08:50 AM

Hey MobyAl,
I flew mine yesterday at the FARM club. I powered mine with a ZDZ 40 spinning a 20x10 prop. This aircraft fly's great. Takeoff was straight as an arrow, very little rudder needed. A few clicks of right aileron trim is all that was needed for level flight. I added about 40% expo to the aileron's as they are a little sensitive for my taste. I guess I am not surprised with the short span. I only got three flights on the airplane but I did notice a lot of roll coupling. Rudder deflection, even small amounts, would roll the airplane on it's side. I will be dialing this out on the next series of flights. Loops, rolls and inverted flight where effortless. The Monocoupe loves to snap and spin, recovers on a dime. I am using flaperons, so when landing I deploy the flap/ailerons. The airplane wants to pitch nose down with the flap deployed. I mixed in about 2 - 3 degrees of up elevator to cancel out the pitch tendency. It really slows down with the flaperons hanging out. The landing flare and roll out were very easy to handle. This is a very nice flying airplane.
The only gripe I have is about the covering. It appears to be Ultracote or Oracover. On the first flight one of the black stripes came off. Not a big deal, I can repair this in short order. When I got home I notice several of the seams had come loose on the fuselage. When I assembled the airplane I used a iron to make sure the seams where tight and a heat gun to re-shrink the covering. When the airplane sat in the sun yesterday, the covering started to let go. I will be keeping a eye on it to see what happens. This isn't a big deal, overall I think the kit is of excellent quality and is a great flyer!

Brian Shipp

mobyal 07-16-2007 09:19 AM

Thanks Brian --
From all reports this is a nice-flying plane. I'm going to start on mine this week and hope to have it ready in about three weeks. Planning on Saito 180 for power and haven't yet decided on servo placement. But right now I'm leaning toward all servos in the cockpit area about as far forward as I can get them. And battery in front of that! That's where I have 'em on my Ikon N'West 1/4 D145 and they work out well there. This one's got even less nose moment than the 145 (Emil Neely added about 1/2" to the nose....)
Al

mobyal 07-16-2007 09:20 AM

Oh. Forgot to mention. You're in Ashburn. If you know where Waterford is, that's where I grew up....
Best
Al

dgliderguy 08-07-2007 02:26 AM

I'm in! I just ordered my PA Monocoupe 110 today, for Saito 180 power (like RCGary and John RedSox). I downloaded the manual this afternoon and read through it. Sure seems like a well thought-out kit. I don't expect it will take but a few good evenings to get this one airworthy. Can't wait!

Don.

John_RedSox 08-07-2007 07:48 AM

my saito 180 hauls the plane around with no problems. added electrodynamics onboard glow and have all the servos up fromt. cg was perfect, no weight added.

dgliderguy 08-07-2007 11:04 AM

John,

How long are your flights with the kit-supplied tank? I know the big Saito is a real nitro-sucker. I'd like to get at least 12 minutes, if not then a bigger tank is in order.

John_RedSox 08-07-2007 12:24 PM

yes, a bigger tank is in order. i put a 24oz tank in the plane. It also acts as a platform for my pilot bust. i glued the bust to some thin ply and there is a 1/2 inch lip so the velcro for the tank can wrap around and hold the pilot and tank in place. i also uses seperate velcro to hold the pilot to the tank for added security.

Thx!

dgliderguy 08-11-2007 01:42 AM

My kit arrived today-- nice plane! I just love them short wings, and the big bumpy cowl. Yeah, baby, can't wait to get started!

Yesterday I scored a sparkie engine, the SPE 26, and I think I may install it in the Monocoupe instead of the Saito 180. It won't have quite the power of the Saito, but it will turn a 18x6 prop, it will sip fuel and run all day on a tankful of petrol, and it weighs about the same as the Saito.

Just need to finish up my other projects now, so I can get this cutie-pie up on my boards.

Hellcat716 08-21-2007 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished up my Monocoupe. Installed a Brillelli 36GT gasoline engine swinging a Xoar 18x8 prop for break in. I am using a Great Planes 1/5 scale civilian pilot. I have to say this is one beautiful airplane. The assembly was a non event. Everything fit really well and was able to use all the included hardware. Hope to get it in the air shortly. Enclosed are a few pictures of the finished product. Tha airplane balanced perfect with the servo's in the tail.

GaGeeBees 09-20-2007 08:51 PM

The big brown airplane delivery truck just brought mine. I'm going with a Saito 1.70 radial for power. The plane is a beauty.

SteveD-RCU 09-30-2007 06:40 PM

Mine just came in across the ditch(US/Can border)and am going to pick her up tommorrow.I'll be installing a Saito 170 also.woopee.
Steve

D.C. 09-30-2007 10:44 PM

I got mine in a couple of weeks ago. This ARF went together better that any I have evre built. I went electric along the lines of Ed Ford on PAM's web sight. GREAT plane....absolute hit at the field.

GaGeeBees 10-01-2007 05:36 PM

ORIGINAL: D.C.

I went electric along the lines of Ed Ford on PAM's web sight. GREAT plane....absolute hit at the field.
Would you mind posting the details (and pictures, if possible) of your electric setup?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

SteveD-RCU 10-02-2007 07:17 AM

I just picked up mine yesterday,looks good.Also it looks like a Saito 170 will fit nicely in the cowl.I won't be working on mine right away,it'll be done over the winter.
Hey Paul are you going to install your 170 or are you going electric now?
Steve

GaGeeBees 10-02-2007 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveD-RCU

I just picked up mine yesterday,looks good.Also it looks like a Saito 170 will fit nicely in the cowl.I won't be working on mine right away,it'll be done over the winter.
Hey Paul are you going to install your 170 or are you going electric now?
Steve
Definitely still going with the Saito 1.70. This airplane demands a radial and the 1.70 ought to be a perfect match.

I haven't started on mine yet either. I promised myself I'd clean up some other, unfinished business first. I've got a list of repair work from the summer's flying that won't get done if I let myself start on this project.

However, I am interested in learning more about the electric conversion, particularly on a plane this size. I fly with a growing number of folks who are going electric almost exclusively and one of the most interesting things I've observed is how much nicer their planes look - and how much longer they seem to last - compared to the same version with an internal combustion engine.

D.C. 10-04-2007 09:54 PM

Paul,

I fly all electric, and have made many conversions. This was by far the least problem of any I have made. This was also the best ARF I have ever completed. I used an E Flite 160 motor, with a Jetti Spin 99 ESC, a 45 volt UBEC and Tanic 5 cell 5000mah battery (2 in series) a 19x10 APCE prop. There is only one word for this plane....Awsome. Looks, performance, and beleive it or not, SOUND. Members at our club are impressed with everything about this plane. Glow, gas, or electric, you can't go wrong with the Monocoupe. A keeper.

SteveD-RCU 10-06-2007 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With all this nice weather I figuered what the heck might as well get started .I may get some flights in this year,so I installed the Saito 170 with a Keleo exhaust ring I had left over from another project.I don't think its scale at the outlet location but that doesn't matter,it looks pretty cool..
Steve

jollyroger 10-06-2007 07:24 PM

That is one very nice looking Monocoupe. It sounds like they have a winner here with that one. Hmmm, I'd sure like to do an electric version, but right now I don't have the funds for such a project. I'd have to start clearing out most of my already built planes and most of the kits I have stocked away. LOL
I knew an older gentleman who owned the real thing. A beautiful white 1939 Coupe. He took a young guy(20or21) up for a little "ride" in her and after a roll or two, .......you guessed it, the kid spewed after he told the pilot to"go ahead and do some aerobatics". LOL
This looks like a nice plane to "scale out".
Am I jealous? huh, huh?

GaGeeBees 10-06-2007 08:15 PM

The Saito 1.70 looks good Steve. It looks like you have it spaced about 1/2" off the firewall but it's hard to tell from the photos. Did you use any standoffs or just the Saito supplied aluminum washers?

Paul