RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/6494380-top-flite-b-25-arf-tecnical-tips-suggestions.html)

Airnondas 10-31-2007 07:20 AM

RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Hi Norman

Are we still on this weekend for the maiden flight of your B-25?

If so, I will bring my video camera for this special event.

Airnondas

flaviosi 10-31-2007 08:33 AM

Mike,

I will work on the levers today. I will let you all know when I have them. I figure about $10.00 a set.
Do you have a Paypal account? If so, let me know it and I'll transfer the money today.

Thanks,

Flavio

mike-rc 10-31-2007 09:00 AM

How much is airmail to Brazil?

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more bay pics

danrc2 10-31-2007 12:23 PM

tim,
what are you gonna use for your hinges??? and how or what set up are you gonna use to open them?

dan

mike-rc 10-31-2007 01:04 PM

[img][/img]
Here is a picture of the alu lever. I will make 15 sets. If you want a set send $10.00 to my paypal ([email protected]) or mail to Mike Krug,
7 Carey Place, Port Washington, NY 11050.

mike-rc 10-31-2007 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let me try that again.[img][/img]

meierm01 10-31-2007 02:03 PM

Mike,
Darn cool! I just sent you a PayPal payment.
Thanks for your service.

Mark Meier

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 02:08 PM

hinges I havent thought about yet

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 02:31 PM

i need close up bomb bay pics. anyone help? I looked all over the net even on plastic model sites

mike-rc 10-31-2007 02:45 PM

I have a Squadron book that has some good pictures of the bomb bay. Tower sells it.

RCKen 10-31-2007 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

i need close up bomb bay pics. anyone help? I looked all over the net even on plastic model sites
[link]http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/1997/09/stuff_eng_detail_b25_bay.htm[/link]
[link]http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1004708073012641883BiqBsUasZM[/link]

Here's a couple I found with a quick google image search

Ken

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thank ken heres some more pics

flaviosi 10-31-2007 03:37 PM

Guys,

The electric conversion option is published on Top Flite's Website. Comments welcome!

http://manuals.hobbico.com/top/topa0980-conversion.pdf

Flávio

flaviosi 10-31-2007 03:41 PM

Hi, Mike,

How much is airmail to Brazil?
Probably 15 bucks will do.

Flavio

flaviosi 10-31-2007 03:43 PM

Mike,

If you want a set send $10.00 to my paypal ([email protected]) or mail to Mike Krug,
I'll make it $25.00 to support Airmail costs.

Flávio

flaviosi 10-31-2007 03:50 PM

Timothy,

This is very, very impressive!!!

Why don't you do a conversion kit?

Flavio

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 04:31 PM

i would not make enough money for the effort it would take. I have no vacuform tools its all scratch built. Would you guys like to see pics of my 1/100 bismarck that i built?

flaviosi 10-31-2007 04:38 PM

Tim(othy),

Would you guys like to see pics of my 1/100 bismarck that i built?
Yes, sure!

Flavio

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here you go

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 06:35 PM

wrong card

KenVC 10-31-2007 07:38 PM

You guys have me droolin'. I'm still waiting on the !@#%$ decals so mine will be shipped.

camdyson 10-31-2007 07:59 PM

For any Aussies out there, they ARE coming here, and price will be pretty good (similar to U.S. hopefully). I've pre-ordered one, and also Robarts, OS70's, wheels, etc. Now just need a couple of servos(!), batts, switches, etc etc.....[X(]:) Local hobby shop's gonna LUUURV this one.

Has anyone weathered that matt Monokote? I'd like to do a little bit of detailing/weathering without going overboard on this one, but wary of doing much if it will need re-shrinking occasionally.

Cam

krproton 10-31-2007 08:04 PM

Hi Ken.

Sorry about the delay because of the decals. More decals will be arriving next week (maybe even this week yet?). Then the decals will get inserted into the kits we already have in stock here in the states and finally begin shipping again.

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are bismarck pics shes not done yet little details and life boats

KenVC 10-31-2007 09:18 PM

Thanks Tim
Not tryin to be a whiner but reading these build notes is driving me nuts! Amazing how a toy can get an old guy worked up!

bruce88123 10-31-2007 09:50 PM

Bomb bay pics
http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/f...b25flight.html

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 10:11 PM

thanks that helps esp the instrument panel, yup full cockpit. lucky you got to move around on my ride they made me sit at a waist gun position the whole time. Incredible photos. i find it really hare to believe there are no panoramic bomb bay pics on the net. Ive been looking for 2 days as im not going to guess

flaviosi 10-31-2007 10:27 PM

Tim,

here are bismarck pics
Man, you're an artist. I mean it.

Flavio

krproton 10-31-2007 10:27 PM

ORIGINAL: KenVC

Thanks Tim
Not tryin to be a whiner but reading these build notes is driving me nuts! Amazing how a toy can get an old guy worked up!
Don't sweat it Ken. I just wanted to give you the latest, up-to-date info. Hey, toys get me worked up too (I don't consider my self an "old guy," but at 44-years-old, I guess I am!). [sm=punching.gif]

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 10:45 PM

thanks I cant draw alick but models is something different. I built an 8 foot Titanic for the titanic historical society. It has been featured on the history channel . I do these when i need airplane money. The bismarck hasnt been spoken for its static only. I built a 4 foot wood model odf the wasa that is also at the titanic hist soc museum.

im still trying to find panoramic views of the bay

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 10:48 PM

krypton i see you cut the cowls. im running 2 4s 5000mah in series so 8s 5000mah. batts are through the bomb bay hatch.I hope two batts will run both escs and motors. They are rated up to 8s so we will see. im very impressed. it would make a fine kit too bad you dont offer it as a kit!

hey im 47 and not old

norm 10-31-2007 11:07 PM

Hello Tim, (Krypton).
Landing with gear doors open?

Well the countdown is on! the other old man (myself 45) will maiden the B-25 on saturday if all goes well, I'm if assembly stage, all is wired and the main iier wings installed wiring this birsd is like a house, only the wires weigh nearly a pound!

I Know it is late and I start to freak out but how does it behave when the main gears door are opened, (those must cause major drag, like 2 stopping parachute behind the space shuttle!) I understand why on the full scale the doors woul close back after the gear was lowered.

It is possible with a pneumatic sequencer to open doors deploy the gear, close door. then open door , retract the gears and close door. that implys installing dual small cylinders behind the doors near the rear and change the robart air valve for a UP2 sequencer valve... for those interested the link is below and available in "Canada" at Ultra precision, and the valve would be the UP2. They also supply small air cilinders (7/16) diameter for a better scale look.

Web site is http://www.up-1.com/uptwo.html

Enough weight in my case and I hope it flys well as it is. But I know I'll end up installing the sequencer this winter

BTW Mike the levers are A1, I sent you a message with my adress and I'm arranging a fed-ex p/u you are a great help.

Also about the doors, I found that J.B. Weld is the better glue to use.

Good night.

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 11:14 PM

i plan on using a jomar sequencer to scale out the gear doors. I know im crazy but hey its therapy. those 5/16 air cylinders are too thick. i know the jet guys make thinner ones made only for doors. look under EMS JOMAR

norm 10-31-2007 11:20 PM

never heard of it, just tried to find on the net, dou you have an adress

timothy thompson 10-31-2007 11:27 PM

EMS JOMAR google it and the site come up its elecronic but can be used to operate a sevo to actuate a second spool valve and small tank. i wouldnt want to use one tank for all the sequencing. I know people are saying we are adding weight but i only will a a pound or two in detailing

krproton 11-01-2007 07:15 AM

Hi Normand!

Don't stay up too late!

It's difficult to say if the plane handles much different with the doors open vs. closed. Whenever I extend the gear, I always slow the model first anyway, so it's already going slower. The flaps are extended as well, thus adding more drag and changing the model's configuration even more.

Yes, you cold add the air cylinders and sequencers to operate the doors and close them after the gear has been extended, but this would require splitting one of the doors into two pieces (you would then have three doors!) and greatly add to the complexity and expense (gee, why am I reciting what I have already written in the first page of the manual!?[:@]). In R&D, we have to remember who our customer is--somebody who wants to get something in the air relatively quickly at minimal/reasonable expense. Adding bomb bay doors and sequencing gear doors would defeat our mission. But again, it's a free country and anybody can add any extra details they desire![sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Let us know how your maiden flight goes.

I've lost track of who is going electric and who is going glow. If using glow, BE CERTAIN you have adequately run and tested your engines and are confident in their performance. [sm=devious.gif]

Tim

krproton 11-01-2007 07:17 AM

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

krypton i see you cut the cowls. im running 2 4s 5000mah in series so 8s 5000mah. batts are through the bomb bay hatch.I hope two batts will run both escs and motors. They are rated up to 8s so we will see. im very impressed. it would make a fine kit too bad you dont offer it as a kit!

hey im 47 and not old
Hi Timothy!

For the record, I had nothing to do with the electric instructions posted on our web site.

mike-rc 11-01-2007 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was having trouble with the outboard door not closing all the way. I finally realized that the clevis on the lever interferes with the end of the air cylinder. The lever moves down flush with the cylinder. I changed to a ball link leaving the back of the lever flush and now it works. I also found a problem with the 5" dim out from the firewall. I had to go to 4.65 .[img][/img][img][/img]

norm 11-01-2007 09:43 AM

Hello Tom (Krypton)

Improvements...no, only add on.

You are right about marketting research, your customers are exactly what you mentionned. Let me inform you of my impressions and I welcome anyone thinking the same way to join me, This B-25 is extremely well built. Of course it is an ARF and unlike most arf's out there, this one enables you to go further in detailing. Primarely because of the quality of construction, example: the nacelles are nice and sturdy and will permit mod's such as installing air cylinders. The whole aircraft demands no reconstruction in order to improve it. It is interesting that some of us may whant to go further and improve this model without compromise other then the $ we decide to put in it. With or without electric windows, for guys our age this may make some sense...but even without those nice features you can still fly a great model and that is interesting! I got to say that Top Flite and the whole team has made a superb ARF and this B-25 is really happening these days and for this you deserve a good round of applaud.

And my opinion for any one going glow,

Yes the glow engines needs to be well tuned and again if you know a good "engine tuner" have him help you. Check for 1) good pick up after 1.5 min idling. 2) clean residue coming out of the muffler, 3) tune the engine full throttle with 1/4 tank and reduce 100-200 rpm rich on the high speed valve. Follow instruction manual for setting of low speed needle valve. check the behavior of the engine with full, 1/2 & 1/4 tank.

The tank is slightly large for 70's or 82's and with muffler pressure you may run rich to lean in a longer period of time so make certain that the engine behave properly in all modes ie; full 1/2 & 1/4 without the "I'll take a chance" attitude . If you cannot find the perfect setting like me, then use a pump and you solve the problem. The pump requires more parameters to set it but once it is set it will remain that way. The advantage of the pump is that it will give you optimum performance from begining to the end of the flight and from flights to flights.