RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   ARF or RTF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/)
-   -   NEW GP Eagle 580 Matt Chapman GP/EP ARF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-rtf-75/8844128-new-gp-eagle-580-matt-chapman-gp-ep-arf.html)

nmking09 06-11-2009 11:51 AM

NEW GP Eagle 580 Matt Chapman GP/EP ARF

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to see what everyone thought about this one. This is not the 50" electric only, but a 53" glow/electric with a plug in stab. Might be fun with a 61 or 91 two stroke.

Any thoughts?

ChuckW 06-11-2009 12:27 PM

RE: NEW GP Eagle 580 Matt Chapman GP/EP ARF

Looks very good. I told myself Iwas done with smaller glow planes but it looks like I may end up with one of these and maybe the new .60 size Reactor Bipe.

planebuilder66 06-11-2009 12:40 PM

Why do people do that? Take a glow/electric plane in a certian size and double the glow engine requirement, especially if it's ment to be electric as well, they usually end up being factory lightened pretty substationally. I would assume that a 90 on this plane would give you unlimited vertical for a little bit before the firewall rips out. go with a good 46-55 tops 2 stroke and enjoy it. That's my 2 cents on the power department.

nmking09 06-11-2009 01:02 PM

Throttle management is the key. You can always throttle back, harder to gain power. This plane is going to come in at around 5.75-6 # that's asking a lot out of a .46-55.

ChuckW 06-11-2009 02:18 PM

Depends on how you want to fly it. .46-AX would be a good sport engine, .55-AX would be even better. More 3D type aerobatics would likely be better with a larger 4-stroke.

nmking09 06-11-2009 02:41 PM

One thing is for sure, that pilot figure has got to go.

ChuckW 06-11-2009 04:14 PM

For some reason I just don't like pilot figures. People always say my planes need them but Ijust think they look goofy for some reason.

nmking09 06-15-2009 10:05 PM

I would like them if they were light

ChuckW 07-02-2009 11:35 PM

Took mine out of the box tonight. Pretty much perfect covering and looks to be a very well designed and built airplane. I plan on doing the assembly this weekend.

ro347 07-03-2009 07:05 AM

I dont either!

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

For some reason I just don't like pilot figures. People always say my planes need them but I just think they look goofy for some reason.

nmking09 07-06-2009 11:27 PM

How many servo mounts are there in the tail?

ProScaleRc 07-07-2009 05:34 AM

ORIGINAL: planebuilder66

Why do people do that? Take a glow/electric plane in a certian size and double the glow engine requirement, especially if it's ment to be electric as well, they usually end up being factory lightened pretty substationally. I would assume that a 90 on this plane would give you unlimited vertical for a little bit before the firewall rips out. go with a good 46-55 tops 2 stroke and enjoy it. That's my 2 cents on the power department.

Sorry but I so disagree with you, specially when we are talking a well manufactured plane like from a company like Great Planes. I just purchased this model off Tower Hobbies and it's perfectly suited to a larger motor. I owned the old GP Matt Chapman Cap and ran a 55AX in and I can assure you it needed a bigger motor.

I'm going with a .75 AX in this spinning a 14x6 prop and I'm certain the fuselage is strong enough for an engine that size. I'll keep everyone posted on the maiden; just awaiting a the delivery of a pitts muffler. Can't wait to throw this baby around.

ProScaleRc 07-07-2009 05:36 AM

ORIGINAL: nmking09

How many servo mounts are there in the tail?
two... one on each side.

ChuckW 07-09-2009 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, mine is all done.

I have a question for anyone who has actually flown it though regarding the recommended CG. Mine is just slightly tail heavy, balancing about 5/16 back from the recommended spot. I know I'd likely end up moving it back there anyhow but not sure about it on the first flight. I really can't shift anything and I want to avoid adding lead if I can. So has anyone moved the CG back and how does it fly?

nmking09 07-10-2009 10:07 AM

Flew it extensively. I can say it flies ok with CG that far back, but as with most caps landing is trouble. For the first few flights I would at least put it in the recommended range.

Do you have the Battery under the cowl? and where is your rudder servo?

Oh and cut that 3oz pilot out of it !!!!!!!!

More pics!!!

ChuckW 07-10-2009 10:27 AM

Yes, battery is on the engine box and rudder servo is in the forward position. I'd like to take the pilot out, may work on that tonight. That may actually help with CG, I never thought of that.

ChuckW 07-11-2009 07:04 PM

Flew it today. CG was a non-issue. In fact, it may be slightly nose-heavy. When I put it into 45 degrees vertical and roll inverted in falls out pretty quickly. Not immediately but doesn't continue that far either. Seems to fly good where it is at though so I'll keep it there for a while and see how I like it after a few flights.

It was super stable and smooth, very maneuverable and didn't seem to want to tip stall when slowed down; I only got it to stall straight forward. Knife-edge seemed to want to roll opposite of rudder but didn't pull the belly or canopy. I'll get more adventurous with it in the next few flights.

The YS-63 pulled it great. I used an APC 12x6 and it was very fast with respectable vertical.

So far I am very happy. We'll see how I feel in a few weeks/months.

ChuckW 07-12-2009 12:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics. Took them with a phone so they aren't the greatest.

av8tr 07-15-2009 04:37 PM

Hey guys I have one of these on the build table and am going with a 4 stroke OS .81. I really would like to fly some light to moderate 3D with this plane. What would you guys recommend for a prop on the OS .81?

Also has anyone mounted there rudder servo in the tail or is every one pretty much using the forward servo tray location? Just curious to see where everyone is mounting there rudder servos.

Thanks guys!! :)

ChuckW 07-15-2009 05:12 PM

I would save the rudder servo installation until you have everything else done. That way you can determine where the best place is to put it based on balance.

av8tr 07-16-2009 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I would save the rudder servo installation until you have everything else done. That way you can determine where the best place is to put it based on balance.

That is what I have done. Rudder servo is not yet installed.

nmking09 07-26-2009 07:01 PM

Any more updates, Likes dislikes?

ChuckW 07-26-2009 07:25 PM

I found out that it WILL tip stall yesterday. got it too slow on an approach and it dropped the right wing. Luckily I was high enough to somewhat recover and only suffered a scratched wing tip. On the subsequent landings I made sure to keep the speed up.

Other than that it has been great. It is a good all around sport plane in my opinion.

mike early 12-28-2009 07:22 PM

I like the looks of this plane.

Not many threads on this plane. You boys still flying yours?

ChuckW 12-28-2009 07:28 PM

I sold mine. Some guy decided that he really wanted it more than I did and was willing to pay for it.