Community
Search
Notices
Ask the Expert Sal - Electric Airplane Advice Here is your chance to ASK SAL, the expert for all your electric flight related questions. If you are not Sal, please do not answer questions in this forum.

Electric setup for HoB 2x4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 10:47 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric setup for HoB 2x4?

Hello,

I'd like to kitbash my House of Balsa 2x4 a bit, adding a brushless motor instead of the depicted 0.049. Also plan to add some spoilers for roll control and glide control (using mini-servos). So I suspect it'll be a six channel kind of plane.

The 2x4 is advertized as 28oz with standard radio gear (only 2 servos though) and approx 408 square inches of wing area.

Not looking for extreme power, just enough to get brisk climb to altitude and then shut motor off for leisurely flying. Anticipate using at folding prop as well.

All that said, would like to keep the costs reasonable, what is the recommended setup?

Thanks,
Frank
Old 05-04-2007, 03:23 PM
salnsp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric setup for HoB 2x4?

Any speed 40-0 sized brushless motor would work well. You could go direct drive with a lower Kv motor. An example would be a Mega 1615/7 direct drive. You could go with a 9 x 6 prop and a 3-cell Lipoly battery. My personal favorite would be the Hacker Motor systems that we use on the Renny or Hyper 2ME
Here is the web address of the Renny 2ME to see this motor system: http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1273 This is my personal favorite as it has the least weight and highest performance but is a bit expensive.

You could go with an outrunner. For example, a Hacker A20-20L can move a 9 x 6 prop and give you 33-35 ounces of thrust.