Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > AutoGyros
Reload this Page >

3-Channel R/C Gyroplane Models

Community
Search
Notices
AutoGyros All about autorotational flight, sport and scale autogyros! User friendly!

3-Channel R/C Gyroplane Models

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:52 PM
ottogiro58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3-Channel R/C Gyroplane Models

Hi Gang, I am starting this new thread because I am hoping to hear from experimenters who are working on simple, 2-bladed, fixed rotor 3-channel gyroplanes. I currently fly a twin rotor gyro (side by side), but want a single, fixed rotor bird with throttle, rudder, and elevator. My gyro flies nicely, with good control down to 5 MPH or less. It has a Magnum .15 motor, 3-channel Futaba radio, and weighs @ 2 lbs. Large control surface movements are built in to provide good control at slow speeds. Prop blast goes directly over the control surfaces to help with control authority. Please post pics of current/past experiments, as well as any comments you may have. Thanx for your input. Charlie Anderson
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 PM
rcflyerfl
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 3-Channel R/C Gyroplane Models

Charlie,
My Whistler's have all been 3 Channel. Rudder, Elevator and Throttle.

Jim
Old 10-07-2006, 02:40 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Jim, I guess I am really looking for a 3-channel, 2-bladed, wingless, single fixed rotor gyro. It would seem that a wingless gyro with a flex plate rotor head (maybe a slightly heavier gauge to handle the extra weight) , 2 wide, thick Aerobalsa blades (slightly weighted ?), and light rotor loading would be less costly, easier to build, balance, and fly. I have also been flying winged gyros, and like the Whistler they can perform well, but with the new developments in blades and flexible rotor heads, I long to see the "ULTIMATE SIMPLE GYRO" come of age !!! Now that 3-bladers, and heli-head models have virtually been perfected, it is time to step up to the challenge of two-bladers !!! Be the first to perfect the "ULTIMATE SIMPLE GYRO". UPDATE : I understand Emilio Cabezas of Spain has been successful with a two-blade teeter head, .10-.15 powered direct control gyrocopter. Let's see one fly with a fixed rotor and airplane-type fuselage. Charlie Anderson
Old 10-07-2006, 06:05 PM
floridagyro

Hi Charlie,

About three ago, I flew a 1/3 scale cub, about 16 lbs., at Spring Hill that I had converted to a single rotor gyro with no wing. It did have a head that would tilt but it would fly OK with just rudder and elevator. I did increase the rudder area to give a better control. It also had a solid disk, no flapping, with 4 molded carbon fiber blades. I also flew it with a solid disk and 5 blades but the performance was about the same as 4 blades, however it sure looked good in the air with those 5 blades.

Phil
Old 10-07-2006, 06:13 PM
floridagyro

Hi,

I found a picture of the cub with the 5 rotors and solid disk.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22048.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	536683  
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
ottogiro58

Hi Phil, Wow, that looks really cool !!! Now we are getting somewhere. That 5-blader must really whistle when airborne. Good job. I think that easy-to-fly 3-channel gyros would bring even more people into the world of autogyros. Thanx for posting the pic of your bird. Charlie Anderson PS Do you have any .10- .15 sized gyros to experiment with ?? I hope to see a successful, single rotor, small 3-channel, two blader soon !!!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 AM
ottogiro58

Hi Gang, check out the thread, "New Teetering Two-Blade Autogiro" by BillF. Fellow gyroplane enthusiast Jose Tudela of Spain has developed a successful two-blade flex plate rotor. Way to go !!! Looks ultra simple to build and balance. Who will be the first in our country to fly this new head ?? Be the first on your block !!! Please keep us posted. Thanx !!! Charlie Anderson