Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Any Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 PM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Difference?

Looking to buy a new charger for Li-fe/A123 packs. Been leaning heavily toward the new Hitec, but came across one with exactly the same case, just a different name/sticker on it.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/HSCHARGER.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10327

What do you think?
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 AM
nute12
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any Difference?

Looks pretty similar to me, even the font and such on the charge ports are identical. Warranty issues might be a little easier thru TBM tho. That being said....i need a new charger that will do 123's . i might just order the HK one and give it a shot.
Regards,
John
Old 12-23-2010, 05:30 AM
yard-dart

Yeah, they've sorta got me scratching my head wondering what the deal is. Back in the summer, I caught wind of Hitec's latest and greatest charger, hearing how much of an edge they had on everyone else since their new setup will charge (4) seperate batteries all at once. Well now, I'm wondering who's technology it really is. Did Hitec actually come out with the charger and HK stole their thunder, or was the charger already out by someone else and Hitec took the idea and ran with it?

The big quiestion is, is one company making the charger and putting different stickers/labels on it for different retailers? And yes, I agree, buying from TBM will probably be more assuring of warranty work (if needed) over HK. Though, it sure is hard to swallow spending $40 more if it is indeed the exact same charger, which it appears to be. The eyes "usually" don't lie.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:02 AM
yard-dart

Check this out. I'm pretty sure this company from China manufactures these chargers. They mass produce them and sell them to whoever. The way I see it, the Hobby King charger and the Hitec charger are indeed the same, just different decals. I guess all of Hitec's advertising and such is the reason their charger is $60 more expensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Hitec guy/user, but momma didn't raise no fool!

http://www.skyrc.com/indexhome.htm#/...t/Charger/4b6/
Old 12-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Capt Lou

Take a look at the CellPro line of chargers, they are excellent especially for A123 packs. Go to www.fmadirect.com to read about them.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:50 AM
yard-dart

They appear to be very nice chargers, but what I like about the ones I've talked about is that they can charge up to 4 batteries at once, which in my opinion is a big convenience. Plus they're around the same price as some of the higher end CellPro chargers.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:31 AM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Skyrc is the original IMAX charger company. All these 4 port chargers are the same with the firmware being of about 5 years old. Old technology in the firmware compared to the newer chargers out by Bantam, FMA, and Hyperion. If you do want one of these, buy the Hitec. There is no repair of these units, but Hitec will stand behind the product better than any HK company.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 AM
yard-dart

That's what I've heard. Hitec is definately known for having good product support.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Capt Lou

I agree with you that multiple pack charging is good. However, the A123 packs charge so fast on the Cellpro that this has not been an issue for me. I put the packs on the charger on the way to the field and by the time I get there, they are charged.